brians timer question

davered1

Reaction score
After wiring up brians completed board I applied 4.5 volts(just to timer,no PIR) and board seemed to work(LED lit up),after one minute led flashes again, I can push buttons and all works fine.I hooked it up to a camera (no PIR) and the camera takes pictures whenever it feels it needs to.

I don't even have a trigger wire hooked into anything! I checked and resoldered all connections and can't get it to quit.

This happen to anyone else? Any Ideas?

Dbworld

Reaction score
is it taking pics at a set interval?  Say seven minutes?  Could you have wired or bridged onto the refresh?  Just a thought.

Is it the 35mm chip?  If so is the jumper in place?  Not sure if that would take random pics or not though.

(Edited by Dbworld at 7:26 am on May 18, 2002)

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Try 6 volts.  I know the min voltage for the chip is 3.5volts but I don't know how the 5 vols regulator will act with a 4.5v source.  

davered1

Reaction score
seems to be taking a pic(or trying, sometimes it just clicks camera no flash) every 10 sec, which is the first delay time and that is the mode chip is in.

AEH, does the same if I hook it though a MS20 board (5V)with the jumper(tinhorns way)

It was pretty late last night I will see if I can tinker with it more.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Davered1,

Did you get just the timer board from Brian or the one with the PIR built in.  I think from the note above you have just the timer.  I dont know how brian builds his boards, but if he builds them for either sex (ms20 or RS) then there is an inverter for the RS that should be inline to the pin #5 and the pir input.  It consists of two resistors and a transistor.  You don't need it with a MS20.  The MS20 has a negative pulse which means it will supply 5 volts to the pic until triggered.  I am not any where near literate in electronics so I'm Just throwing this out.  I don't know if the inverter circuit will do anything funny when hooked to the 5 volts from the ms20.  You could just remove anything that is connected to the path from pin #5,  There will be a resistor that goes to battery + and the transistor and another resistor to the center of the transistor.  

Good luck,

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Davered1,

Sounds like there is some accidental solder from where I had you to remove the resistors and transistor that is connecting the trigger on the board to the output of the opto.  Specifically, the refresh.

Look at the refresh output because from the way you make it sound the refresh that I do after the delay between pictures is over seems to be triggering the PIC again.  Those traces are close on the board so it is very easy to solder bridge them especially after I had you to remove the solder or is this the new one.  Even if it is check for a solder bridge on the refresh output.

To test this change the delay between pictures to another mode and see if it takes longer for the camera to cycle and if so then you know the refresh is jumpered somehow to the trigger.

Let me know if this is not it.

davered1

Reaction score
I just got around to tinkering with it again last night. I removed the camera connections from board and soldered in a 2- wire system. Worked perfectly. I haven't tried to rewire the 3 wire setup(has refresh might as well use it, right?) but I hope to today.

Maybe I had to much solder on it  and it was shorting out. ANY WAYS it works I have it all wired in it's box!

Thanks brian and guy's.

Top Bottom