Bringing a new product to market

pietromarc

Mo hunter.
RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!!"I believe everyone is born with a "Million Dollar Idea" but VERY VERY few folks act on it".  I happen to be  a Hunter and Structural Packaging Designer working for a National paperboard converter, If anyone is taking thair products to the retail level (Wal-Mart,K-Mart Cabelas and Basspro Stores) and need some packaging design work i can help! Like the authors before me said, get your "money Maker Patented first or at least a Provisional. And if your worried still about your product being "leaked" out to early have everybody involved sign a confirdantciality agreement! companies like Gillette,Johnson&Johnson,Coke,P&G all make me sign [email protected]

StringShooter

Great discussion folkes.

I am lucky that I have two close friends, one who is a patent lawyer and the other who owns a packaging company.

My problem is that I haven't come up with any ideas that I feel are marketable at the moment.

MOHunter

shrtcirkt,

My product can be used by bow hunters, gun hunters, and fishermen.  However, my biggest customer is the bow hunter.

It is not related to arrows.

MOHunter

MOHunter

For those that have been following this thread I guess it is again time for an update.

I recently finished the artwork on all my products.  If I didn't mention it, I created all my "package" graphics myself using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.  My manufacture does not use the traditional clamshell for packaging.  What they use is kinda a poor man's clamshell ..... the product placed on a thick board and the whole thing shrink wrapped.  While this actually saves me some money, it does not look as professional as I wish it would.  Oh well, I can live with it starting off.

The manufacturer had used sticker labels for their own products, but I decided to print cards that included my logo and some pictures of the product being used.  This card gets laminated to the board next to my product.  

For the main products I used a 4x5 inch card and the accessories a 4x2.5 inch card.  Since the manufacturer was taking forever to get me a quote to do the work, I decided I would have these cards made and sent to them.  ....this way they also can't mark the cards up.

I received 2 purchase orders from Cabela's about a 2 months ago.  One for their Fall Master Catalog (coming out the first of August) and the other for a new 190,000 sf store in Kansas City.  We were suppose to ship these orders a month ago but won't get everything sent until this week.  ......this was caused by the National Sales Manager's resignation and has been a constant source of stress for the last month.  I am confident that we will get product out this week, and to them before they start receiving orders, but I am concerned that Cabela's might decided to not put us in the next magazine due to us being late.  If anyone has any experience with them on this type of issue, please let me know your thoughts.

As a result of our new products going out, I also need to redesign our website.  Although I have done several websites myself in the past, I am having difficulty coming up with an original design that is not image heavy.  For those do it yourself'ers, I am using Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and Flash.

So here I sit, the week before my product debuts in Cabela's Fall Master catalog, and I am unsure of the future.  I am constantly searching for another way to "get the word out" about my product without having to spend several thousand dollars on advertising (which didn't work when we did it anyway).

We just paid the 50% deposit for the AMO show and shelled out a bunch for inventory.  Last night I reconciled the company's accounts in Quickbooks and I noticed that we only had $500 left.  This is all VERY stressful, especially since I am working a job (for the last year and a half) that I can not stand any longer.  ...I work for the feds and sit in a cubicle all day.  Most people would die for this type of job security, but I feel like I am in a prison.  I can't stand it any longer.  I dream of being able to develop my business full time.  The risk of failing is worth it.  My feelings are summed up best by a quote from the movies "Office Space" and "Shawshank Redemption":

"When I saw that fat man keel over and die, ....Michael we dont' have a lot of time on this earth, we weren't ment to spend it this way.  Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms, and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements."

"Get busy living, or get busy dieing.  Than't G'damn right."

MOHunter

Tominator

Don't take this the wrong way, but I would think that "getting the word out" would start with telling somebody just what the heck it is. You're talking about putting it in Cabela's fall catalog, yet you won't divulge it's form or function. If someone on this forum was in the market for something of this type (whatever that might be) they would most likely buy your version since they know you are on here. You could also follow Jesses advice and send a couple to guys on here and have them do a test run of your product for you. If it's all it's supposed to be they will let us know and we will buy it and try it. As long as no one has a clue and you maintain the suspense, we can't help you in the least.
Tominator

MOHunter

Tominator,

I understand what you are saying.  Believe me, I would love to tell everyone about my product.  However, this forum has a non-commercial format and if I divulged my product, then I go from being an equally contributing member of the community to just another salesman.  I don't want that.  The members of this forum don't want that.

By taking a non-commercial approach to this thread, we all can contribute in an un-biased way.  We all feel that we are dealing with each other on the same level.  You know how you feel when dealing with a salesman?  You tend to not believe some or all of what the guy says.  I don't want to be treated like a car salesman.  I want you to see me as, and treat me like, an "average Joe" that just happens to be trying to bring a product to market.

I do appreciate the comments.  Please keep them comming.

MOHunter

MOHunter

Guys I posted this in the video forum:

Everyone,

I would like to create a series of videos highlighting non-professional hunters like YOU.  Before I do anything, I wanted to get YOUR opinion.  Do you think people would be interested in sending me their hunting and fishing footage for the chance to be "famous"?  ....I would like to get these videos in Cabela's, Bass Pro, Walmart, etc.

For your information, I have already talked with a few companies (i.e., Hunter Specialties, Dury Brothers, etc.) about producing the videos.  I currently have a few deer hunts and a few bear hunts from people that have already sent me their videos.

My idea is that if people send me their footage, we will review them for the best hunts and choose several for each tape.  If we get a lot of footage, we can possibly do several videos at once.  During the video, we will show a picture of you, your name, where you live, etc. in order to give you proper credit for the footage.  ....I'll have to talk with the video editors on how to do it but we definetly want to give the hunter his/her "15 minutes of fame" so that others are motivated to send in their footage.

It is my thinking that people would really like these videos if we could, 1) show awesome footage, 2) make the hunter "famous" and give him/her proper credit, and 3) continue to come out with new and exciting videos.

What do you all think?  

MOHunter

PS:  If I received some footage from a lot of JHP members, I could possibly put JHP on the jacket as a sponsor.....what do you think Jesse?

Bow Runner

I saw it over there and posted over there but here is what i think.

What do you think MOHunter

I like that idea alot.  We need some real hunting videos.

I would like it even more and you would get alot more videos if the people who sent you a video  would get a free copy of the finished product.

Give and take relationships work the best.

PowDuck

OK, MOHunter. The Cabela's Fall MASTER catalog is out. Can you tell us what your product is now?

I'm not asking you to advertise it as that would go against the forum rules. But the thread has been about bringing a product to market, let's see the final result of your labors. What's the catalog item number? We'll look it up ourselves.

Where's Bruce?

A cottage business such as this should start off with online retail sales to show PROOF OF CONCEPT before approaching chainstores. Plenty of ways to use social media and prostaffers to gain support. Selling wholesale and below wholesale (distributor pricing) is a slippery slope and the issues with delayed payment, product returns, cooperative marketing and in some cases, slotting fees can be devastating. Until your patents (multiple) are secured, do not promote the product. Only advertise in places that support existing sales (tradeshows, websites, etc). Key and track everything.

Top Bottom