Broadhead for Elk?

Greystoke

Reaction score
I shoot 2219s, 64 lbs. with a release. I have been using Muzzy 125s. Read a article recently that suggested a 2 blade might slip thru ribs better. Yes or no.
If yes, which 2 blade would you suggest?
thanks
Jim

Shane

Reaction score
Hi Jim,
I think I understand what you are getting at. However, it's really not so much a matter of slipping through the ribs if any broadhead you choose decides to hit a rib or other bone matter. I do think you'll find that the "cut-on-impact" heads (two blade) are certainly designed to slip on through whatever they hit. They don't tend to get hung up on hair or have any trouble punching through tough skin.

Since most of the broadheads on the market today will do a fine job, I would recommend you shoot the type of head you find flies the best from your bow and that you are happy/confident with. Maybe you get the best flight from a three-blade head, but you like the two-blades. It's your call, really. But if you can hit the mark, just about any head will do the necessary cutting job.

As far as recommended products go...
Three-blade: The three-blade broadheads I've used the most over the years would be the NAP Thunderhead 100-125 grain broadheads. Very good quality head with pass-through shots on most animals - even elk.

Two-blade: The two blade I use the most would have to be the Magnus II
Check out our full line of Magnus products - Broadheads at JHO online store...

Best,
~ Shane

Greystoke

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Shane. I'll probably stick with what I've been using then as they've been doing the job so far.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
I think Shane's right in that almost all modern broadheads work on just about every type of game. I was pretty amazed at the penetration from my 3-bladed innerloc's in a 200 lb sow--over 20" worth on a quartering away shot.

I have seen some claims in print that the Fred Bear styled, cut-on-impact 2-bladed broad-heads result in better penetration for large game like Elk on up. I've even read a claim or two that some outfitters only allow these types of broadheads in their archery camps.

But, there are plenty of testimonials that the expanding broadheads work great on elk-sized game too.

About the only article that made any sense to me on the subject made a good case for keeping the width of the blades on a broadhead (for 2, 3, 4 bladed) under 1.5" for elk-sized game for increased likelihood of better penetration.

Other debates about fixed v. mechanical usually revolve around potential risk of mechanical broadhead failure. The latter risk is very small, but it does exist. The benefit of mechanicals is usually better flight and increased amount of bleeding......one thing rarely mentioned in these debates is that fixed broadheads fail too. I've read accounts of Montec G5's shattering on impact and other cases of fixed failures too.

I do like innnerloc's 3-bladed broadhead and the goldtip expandables 'cause they fly good with my setup and will cut a lot more tissue than a 2 bladed broadhead. In a pack of six fixed blades (Modoc), I got 2 of the broadheads to fly consistently well.

The magnus stingers have gotten great ratings too and will try those after I use up my innerlocs and goldtips.

BDB

Reaction score
I think that tends to be a little more important for traditional gear shooters since they don't have as much KE as the wheel boys and still want to get good penetration. I shoot openers or Montec G5's for deer but will only shoot the G5's on pigs. Not because I don't like other brands like muzzy or others but just because I have two types of heads I use and I won't shoot openers on pigs or elk. The G5's are basically cut on contact heads (3 blade). I drove one length wise through a 200+ pound boar. In the front left side (broke the leg bone cleanly) and completely length wise until the BH stopped just in the skin of the back right leg. No damage to the BH at all, none, and plenty of penetration. Wasn't the shot I wanted or aimed for, just the way it happened when he jumped string and wheeled on me. I was shooting 2317's at 620 grain finished weight. They do hit hard !!

I'm sure your Muzzy's will be just fine especially if you have 60+ KE. My

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
I've shot two (2) of my Bulls with ThunderHead 125's and they performed great....Cut ribs going in and out!!!
It comes down to sharpness and construction of the broadhead.....

This year I'll be shooting either the Rocket SteelHead or Ultimate Steel, since going to Carbons....They fly like darts and hit with punch....Again, the big thing is sharpness, as ribs can be cut. Construction, as ribs can be broken!!! I also like three (3) blades, as it gives more cutting surface....Hope this helps some and good luck..........

340mag

Reaction score

cut on contact broadheads have proven over the years to get the job done effectively, Id stay away from the mechanical heads as Ive seen failures and blade broken off,while they seem to work on broadside 90 deg to the lungs shots at most times they tend to fail more often on raking angle entry shots from what Ive seen
this may be due to flaws on only some designs but if one side contacts first and starts to open before the opposing side they don,t appear to function correctly

Top Bottom