• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Broadheads

scottmarine

What broadheads are you planning on using this year. Has anyone used the Magnus Blackhornets? I'm thinking about ordering the ones with the bleeder blades. I have the Rage Hypodermic for California but hunt in other states that do not allow expandables so I am looking for other options. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjack

How do you like the Rage Hypodermic? Do you see an advantage to using a two blade as opposed to a three blade? Also are you looking at the 100gr or 125gr Magnus Blackhornet, I see that the 125gr has a 1/8" larger blade. I have been long considering going solely with a fixed broadhead.

scottmarine

How do you like the Rage Hypodermic? Do you see an advantage to using a two blade as opposed to a three blade? Also are you looking at the 100gr or 125gr Magnus Blackhornet, I see that the 125gr has a 1/8" larger blade. I have been long considering going solely with a fixed broadhead.
Last year was the first year using them. They were on sale so I picked the rage up. They fly the same as my field points and when opened they have a huge cutting diameter. I don't see an advantage between the 2 blade and 3 blade. For the Blackhornet I was thinking the 125 grain. I watched some YouTube videos of them and they look like a stout true flying little death dealers. They have a lifetime warranty and are thick for resharpening.

flytrue

I've only shot the one deer with a Toxic, so I can't say what the penetration is like. The arrow broke off in the deer as the head hit a solid bone and stopped. I still carry them in my quiver ready for a pig or bear. I've been hunting turkeys but I like 2 blade fixed head broad heads for that. I think the Toxic might hang up in the feathers.
Back up heads are 3 blade Muzzys.

dvschramm

I tried shooting slick tricks and couldn't get them to consistently land on target. Went back to G5 Montacs and didn't have any problems.

scottmarine

I ended up ordering 2 and 4 blade Magnus blackhornets I will write a review after I receive them, and hopefully again when I put something on the ground!

Cabelas copperheads. Tough and fly like lazer beams. Every deer ive shot has been a pass through and 4 of them were in the chest and out before the hinde quater, and one at 80 yds. never been a fan of mechanicals or big out of control fixed blades. Small and accurate is how i like them.

bughalli

I've used Rage for the last 8 years and the Hypodermics the last three. All with devastating success. Half the kills are pass throughs and the animal drops within sight. I use the two blade. These have a giant cutting diameter. When that's the case you need to make sure you have enough kinetic energy in your setup. More so for the three blade because that giant cutting diameter and three blades creates that much more resistance, so you want that kinetic energy to ensure good penetration, even when bone is hit.

When expandables aren't allowed then I go with slick tricks, standard size. I tested 5-6 brands of fixed blade setups and those flew the best for me. They were the same as field points out to 50. At 60 the group appeared to move an inch or two. But honestly it's tough to tell. Unfortunately I haven't killed anything with them, but feel confident they'll do just fine if I do my part.

BIGCIM

I've used Rage for the last 8 years and the Hypodermics the last three. All with devastating success. Half the kills are pass throughs and the animal drops within sight. I use the two blade. These have a giant cutting diameter. When that's the case you need to make sure you have enough kinetic energy in your setup. More so for the three blade because that giant cutting diameter and three blades creates that much more resistance, so you want that kinetic energy to ensure good penetration, even when bone is hit.

When expandables aren't allowed then I go with slick tricks, standard size. I tested 5-6 brands of fixed blade setups and those flew the best for me. They were the same as field points out to 50. At 60 the group appeared to move an inch or two. But honestly it's tough to tell. Unfortunately I haven't killed anything with them, but feel confident they'll do just fine if I do my part.
Did you take photos of the entry and exit wounds?

Planetcat

I like the 125 grain magnus killer bee stingers on hogs. My bow is somewhat slow, and I think these give me better penetration than my grim reapers, which i prefer on deer.

Last edited:

TheGDog

Bow n00b question:

With a G5 Montec... if I make a decent shot and let's say hit at least one lung... but don't hit heart... what's the typical amount of running away yardage the deer might do on average, in your experience?

THE ROMAN ARCHER

My first bow kill buck was a double lung punch, deer lungs are a great kill zone besides the hart as they run their lungs will fill up with blood and it's over and usually a good blood trail from the blood squirting all over. I would say a on a one lung hit at least within a 100 yard with a good size broad head, then again I know hunters who put a couple slugs in a whitetail and they travel far still up to a mile or more, deer have such a high adrenline output it's amazing how far they travel even with a great hit they keep on going and going and going......tra

Bankrunner

First archery buck. 28yds double lung pass thru with a 4 blade magnus stinger and he went about 100yds. The shot was a bit higher than it should have been, blood was less than expected but still trackable.
After shot placement the best thing you can do is not push the deer. Don't hoot and holler, don't even stand up if the deer is still close and you think he might see ya. If they don't know your there a deer doesn't know what just stung him. My buck jumped and ran about 10yds and stopped. Even though the shot looked and felt good i got that little bit of doubt and stood up to get a better view and he took off. I don't know for sure if it was me that did it, maybe it was the blood starting to fill up the lungs but my gut tells me he sensed predator.
All archery kill deer don't react the way mine did, there is plenty of video out there to prove that but if they know your there and you push them all deer will do the best they can to get away.

Top Bottom