• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Broadheads

bughalli

Did you take photos of the entry and exit wounds?
I didn't take pics of the wounds and generally hide them for the grip'n grin pics. But we often joke about the holes these leave as the deer looking like they got hit with an ax.

bughalli

Bow n00b question:

With a G5 Montec... if I make a decent shot and let's say hit at least one lung... but don't hit heart... what's the typical amount of running away yardage the deer might do on average, in your experience?
Tough to say as each animal and hit is different. Most of mine drop within 80 yards. I had one go literally 10 ft and drop dead. Only one has gone beyond 80 yards. It was a nice 4x4 whitetail. Big deer, probably 200lbs. Shot straight down on him from a tree stand. I hit him where his rib meets the spine, smack in the middle of the rib' which is thick bone where it joins the rip. Didn't "spine him". The broadhead broke the rib, but only traveled about 4 inches into one lung. Since the entry hole was on top of the animal, very little blood came out, which made tracking near impossible after a point. I found him by running a grid pattern of the area. He died about 300 yards away.

Brnsvllyjohn

bughalli do you think the slick tricks would have had better penetration after breaking that rib than the Rage did? I haven't taken enough game with broadheads to be any kind of an expert but I do shoot the Magnus Stinger. They are very accurate for me and get decent reviews.

bughalli

bughalli do you think the slick tricks would have had better penetration after breaking that rib than the Rage did? I haven't taken enough game with broadheads to be any kind of an expert but I do shoot the Magnus Stinger. They are very accurate for me and get decent reviews.
I think the penetration would have been the same. The arrow needed to break the rib to continue. After that is super soft tissue. It wasn't going through the rib, as in putting a hole in it. Given both have solid tips, they're pretty equal in how they would break bone. Ensuring you have a heavy enough arrow has a greater impact on penetration.

If the Magnus stingers are shooting well for you then go with them. Accuracy is the goal, penetration is easy when you hit them in the right spot.

Brnsvllyjohn

One of the guys I hunt with is sending me 3 G5 Montecs and 3 Slick tricks to see how they shoot. He is looking for the "perfect" one for his bow and he has a few different ones just stored in his garage. Not even sure what he is shooting right now. The subject came up when I told him I was down to 6 Magnus that are perfect. I doubt they will shoot any straighter but we shall see. I lost 2 last year and damaged 2 on the buck.

Brnsvllyjohn

Well I have been shooting the Montecs and the Slick Ticks as a comparison to my Magnus just to see. Montec is the closest to the flight of my Magnus but in my crossbow I think the group is slightly larger. The Slick Tricks are not bad and both are fine as a back up but I felt the Magnus shot tighter groups. So I will add the Montec and the Slick Tricks to my bow case as emergency back ups. While working my way through some brush last year I temporally lost some bolts and the thought of that happening makes me want to have some spares in the truck. Almost no difference in point of impact at 40 yards but at 50 the point of impact is slightly different.

A little more confident in the Montecs and I can touch the two up that I shot. Not sure about sharpening the Tricks but we shall see. Neither are bad but they have been shot a few times and I would prefer to hunt with ones that are perfect.

Last edited:

BIGCIM

I didn't take pics of the wounds and generally hide them for the grip'n grin pics. But we often joke about the holes these leave as the deer looking like they got hit with an ax.
I shoot the original Rage 3 blade broadhead but was thinking of the 2 blade for my son. I know a slick trick will have better penetration for the low poundage bow but I figured the 2" rage will have a more forgiving shot placement for a 12 year old.

He practices all the time but no telling how much Buck fever could play into effect.

Wild1

No way will a mechanical/expandable (rage) get as much penetration as a coc (slicktrick) after hitting a rib. A solid tip is only part of the equation - there is also the ferrule, the strength and the angle of the blades . I don't think I know any bow hunters using mechanicals for heavy boned animals, in fact, most African outfitters won't even allow them. If you want to hunt whitetails, mulies, or bears, then use a Rage (you won't get a pass thru on the bear though). But if you're hunting moose, elk, or wild hogs - or if you're planning on hitting a scapula, you better be using a coc broadhead (and a SlickTrick is an excellent choice if it works well for your set up). Good luck!

Last year I used the NAP Spitfire Matrix 330 Crossfire broadheads. I've killed two adults does with them. Much more noticeable damage to the lungs and a very clean blow in the double lung photos, much better than 2 inches Rages! will shoot you again for a few more deer this year to see if the performance is so consistent and excellent. They would like to see two pairs of 2 "that are equipped with good steel ferrule because they have enough energy to spare, for the two deer with the NAP last year, the arrow was completely buried in the ground.

Last edited:

Top Bottom