broke wire run on OWL PF

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
About 6 weeks ago I ruined a wire run on the shutter board of an OWL PF. I thought I had ruined the camera because it pulled the run off the shutter board where it joins the front board.

Today I disassembled the camera to try and repair the run. What I found was a better place to solder to.
I dont usually remove the front cover when I modify an OWL PF, but now it might be easier to do this then try to solder to the runs on the shutter board.
On the front board there are several solder thru holes that are tied to the shutter board. I tried to mark them well on the following pic and I apologize if it did not come out well.
Using awg28 or smaller wire you should be able to solder directly to these points without comprimising the shutter board.

I hope this helps others.
BTW Pins 5 & 6 are the two center holes

MBullism

Reaction score
Lemons into lemonade, shrtcirkt.  Thanks for the info.  One quick thing... I get pins 5 and 6... Is the 4 common the dot to the right of the "N" in "COMMON"?

M

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
M,
The whols solder mask is common. You can use that dot (solder pad) or any of the thru holes(vias).

Gator

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I have 2 af's that do a good job(all my pics at the link below were taken with af's except the ones marked holley tree, they were taken with a discovery 90) but I have a pf that I have been putting off becuase the pins were so close together I was afraid of messing it up.  I think I will go ahead and give it a try.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
I've getting ready to wire my first Owl PF's and this sounds like a much better option than the shutter board, but I can't see the Pics.  Just a little box with a red x.  I have MS Explorer 5.  any suggestions.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Right click the red X,select "Properties",Highlight the address, right click "cut/copy" it,left click in your browsers address bar,right click select "paste" click GO.
 There is the pic!!

Curtiss

Reaction score
Maybe this will help with the picture. I will leave it on my server for a little while.
   This is the way shrtcirkt wires his cannon pf camera now.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,  Can't believe all I've been missing all these months.  Gona have to go back and review some old posts.

woodsman

Reaction score
One week to late I wired up my owl pf and ran into several problems doing it the old way ,your way looks much easyer .Thanks for sharing :sunglasses-yellow:

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
I worked on my camera again today, finished wiring it up and it works fine.
I do need to mentions something though, those holes are a lot smaller in person then they appear in the photo. I will make a few suggestions that you can try if you do this yourself.
1) Clean all the green off of the solder area and pretin the holes.
2) use a small soldering tip and do not overheat the board.
3) If you dont have one, consider getting one of the bench lights that has a magnifying glass in it. They are easy to get used to and make life a lot easier on the small work.
I'm glad to finally be able to give something useful back to this board, I hope this helps out.

bat

Reaction score
shrtcirkt,
I want to make sure I'm clear on this the 5 and 6 are the two holes in the center of the four holes right, not the two red wires above the four holes.
Passthru,
Thanks for clearing up the little red x deal.  I've had trouble with that in the past also.  Didn't know about doing the properties etc. stuff.  Got it now!

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Bat,
Pins 5&6 go to the two center holes  as you said. Not the wires.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
ShrtCirkt,

When you make contributions, you make BIG Contributions.......

This is really going to save both headaches and bucks

Way to go

Tinhorn

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Thanks Tin, I appreciate the vote of confidence.
A couple of more quick ideas, one to answer ****** question.
I have only been using the 2 wire setup. Honestly, so far I have not found a need for the 3 wire(refresh) setup. The easiest wayt to jumper these two holes is to use a piece of cut off lead from a diode or resistor, bend it in a U shape then solder it into the 2 holes. Then solder your wire directly to it.
If you are using the 3 wire setup, then just solder the wires right into the holes.

And lastly, this may resurrect some cameras that have had the wire run ruined on the shutter board. what I did to fix mine was to run a length of wire from the thru hole for pin # 4 and soldered it directly to a section of the run on the shutter board.

gizz

Reaction score
Thanks shrtcirkt. That should save a lot of cameras. I've always taken the front off to solder my cams but never really looked at it much. I have a camera that someone previously ruined and will see if i can now get it to work.

swampfox

Reaction score
HOT DOG! i burnt up all the pins on a nice af and burnt part of the board. after reading this igot the nerve to take some small wire and rework all4 pins and created a jumper between 2 of them. i then soldered my wires right to my homemade pins on the front board  and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the info on the front board, i thought this camera was a total loss....

Bill Schultz

Reaction score
I need help. My first camera I bought was an owl pf date but I ruined allot of connections on the board. After reading this I tried to revive it. My 5, and6 are soldered together good on top so I wired the frount in the hole sugested and one to the number 4 spot on the face of the camera, but when they are contacted all it does is rewind. can you help.

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Bill,
Can you define " a lot of connections"?
It is posible that there is something soldered that shouldnt be, or that should be but isnt.
If you have another camera, can you compare the two of them side by side?
I can not stress enough how much of a help a good magnifying glass, or one of the desktop illuminated maginyfers are. To me they have become indispensible... ( and I still have 20/20 vision, knocking on wood).

Latest Posts

Top Bottom