broken bolt handle Rem 700

mischief209

Reaction score
Hi, over the weekend I managed to pull the handle clean off the bolt trying to clear a stuck load on remington 700. Remington says there fix it but 10 to 12 week turnaround. We only have 4 weeks left of season and im looking for a local gunsmith that can silvrr braze or tig weld it back on. Im in central valley but willing to travel if I can get it fixed asap. Only person I found to do it was 3 month turn around. Thanks alot.

thewolfman

Reaction score
Bummer....borrow a gun if I was u...I feel u..goodluck

slanttop357

Reaction score
Hi, over the weekend I managed to pull the handle clean off the bolt trying to clear a stuck load on remington 700. Remington says there fix it but 10 to 12 week turnaround. We only have 4 weeks left of season and im looking for a local gunsmith that can silvrr braze or tig weld it back on. Im in central valley but willing to travel if I can get it fixed asap. Only person I found to do it was 3 month turn around. Thanks alot.
Get on the phone and call people that weld for a living they should be glad to do it your looking at $40.00/$60.00 check it out. Bring cash. Justed checked EBAY they have them buy it now from 20-70 bucks free shipping.

Last edited:

mischief209

Reaction score
Thats my next option, hopefully dont have to go that route but lucky I do have acsess to a backup

mischief209

Reaction score
Im going to call around to see if I can find a good tig welder but you have to be careful not to warp the bolt with the heat, thas why I was looking for a smith to do it. All else fails ill take it to a welder and hope for the best and if it doesn't work out ill just order 1 but I was told it has to be fitted which may delay things even longer. Thanks for the help.

slanttop357

Reaction score
Im going to call around to see if I can find a good tig welder but you have to be careful not to warp the bolt with the heat, thas why I was looking for a smith to do it. All else fails ill take it to a welder and hope for the best and if it doesn't work out ill just order 1 but I was told it has to be fitted which may delay things even longer. Thanks for the help.
Can you post a pic ? the welder should have no problem putting a nice bead on there with no warping.

rosss1897

Reaction score
with a new bolt the headspace may be off , theres a gunsmith in san andreas, rustys gun shop he may be able to weld it, phone is 209-754-3713

dtj6ppc

Reaction score
Do not take the bolt/handle to a general welding shop, find a knowledgeable gunsmith with a proper Remington bolt/handle positioning jig to silver solder or tig weld the handle back into the proper position..........a Remington handles position is critical in the firing pin shoe to trigger hand off timing.

solus

Reaction score
picture please? maybe you could just get it welded at a weld shop and grind it down with a dremel

mischief209

Reaction score
Managed to get it tig welded by a great shop that was referred to me by the local gun shop, came out great, bolt slides nicely, feels way stronger now.Going to test fire this week sometime ill let you how things work out. Thanks to everyone that repiled, ill see if I can get a pic up of the weld, unfortunately I dont have one of it broken.

slanttop357

Reaction score
Managed to get it tig welded by a great shop that was referred to me by the local gun shop, came out great, bolt slides nicely, feels way stronger now.Going to test fire this week sometime ill let you how things work out. Thanks to everyone that repiled, ill see if I can get a pic up of the weld, unfortunately I dont have one of it broken.
Make sure the gate is open before you go up.

Aught-SixGuy

Reaction score
If the weld doesn't hold, go on Midwayusa.com and order a new bolt handle. Super easy to replace. Lots of options too.

Top Bottom