Browns Valley Jr. Hunt?

buckspotter

Reaction score
My kid drew the junior hunt on the U.C. Sierra Foothill Research Center in Browns Valley and I was wondering if any of you knew anything about the hunt? They have an orientation, but I was hoping for past success stories or maybe a description of the property. They are assigned a section of the property, but can roam to unoccupied sections later in the day. Any info is appreciated!

tom wingmaster

Reaction score
Never been, the only other thing I can add is that they provide a guide. My friends son was drawn and a guide was to call them several days before the hunt to discuss - answer any questions.

Good Luck.

buckspotter

Reaction score
thanks TW, the guide thing was an option and I decided to pass on the guide. They do ask for volunteers to guide the kids though. hope your friends son has good luck also.

Whoadog

Reaction score
A buddies son drew that a few years back and he said it was phenominal, and he would know.

Brian

tom wingmaster

Reaction score
I heard the same thing - a high percentage of kids get their bird.

I am not sure what date my friend's son drew, but if hunts before you I can try to pass on his hunts info. Maybe hook you up for a phone call with his dad.

Kentuck

Reaction score
My stepson got drawn about 7 years ago. We had a bird working right away and somone from the next "Assigned" area walked right past us and spooked the bird. How do I know they left their zone? The bird was roosted right below where we parked, about the middle of our assigned area. Never heard another bird the rest of the day. There were birds there but I think they were too spooked for me to call in.

buckspotter

Reaction score
Sounds good, guys! He's excited so it's good to hear there are birds there. He's hunting on 4/13 and the first hunt is 4/12

TODD T

Reaction score
Awesome property, low sucess rate. you will see birds and if you have any experience you'll have birds in gun range. It's up to Jr. to seal the deal. Good luck

DWarcher

Reaction score
Awesome property, low sucess rate. you will see birds and if you have any experience you'll have birds in gun range.
[/quote

Exactly...a surprisingly low success rate. Both of my kids brought home birds 2 out of 3 years they were drawn...many opportunities but not a slam dunk by any means. The boundaries are kind of unclear if you have never been there before...that might explain some of the crossover into neighboring areas. Plan on going the night before to attempt to roost some birds or at least get an idea of what your area looks like in the light. Good luck and make sure to post pics afterwards!

dbuckslayer

Reaction score
Took my little brother two years ago, I cant remember what area we chose or got but there is a main access road that follows the main ridge of the property. From my experience, especially if you dont get drawn the first day is to go down low into the canyon. When we went lots of birds had been pushed into the bottom, especially since Daugherty Hill WA is across the canyon. My advice is to get there early and start walking down the skid roads that go down the hill in your area. Just stay on the road in the early morning trying to locate a roosted bird. Then you know the deal, dont pressure him but try and think where he will go down and set up a decoy or two. Also, I down think the birds there are flocke up as bad as some private areas. Hope this helps.

cut em all

Reaction score
i hunted there two years ago. they said they had plenty of guides and it turned out they had only a few. me and my dad went off on our own and heard plenty of birds. it was steep country. they give you an alloted plot of land to hunt but after people start leaving you can fill in there spot and hunt there plot. i downed a bird at around 2 in the afternoon.

buckspotter

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! That's all great news! I hope it all comes together for him and I'll be sure to post a pic or two if we can knock one over! Thanks again!

wmidbrook

Reaction score
It's THICK THICK THICK with birds in that country. If they are hot or not is the question. If you keep at it you'll highly likely have shot ops. I grew up in that country and know it well.

TODD T

Reaction score
What numbered area did he draw? If you care to post your email, I can give you some more detailed info.

buckspotter

Reaction score
beautiful property, but we didn't run in to any turkeys. No gobbles, no sign. Just one pooped 11 yr old.

Top Bottom