Buck in velvet... 19 pics

cedar N sandy

Reaction score
 I checked my Camtrakker today and it was showing that 19 pics had been taken. I wasn't overly excited because the last roll I had developed was full of crow pics eating the corn from around the mineral lick. I made a mineral lick from bradleydale's recipe minus the di-calcium phosphate (nobody has heard of it around here???) and I added some "Block Topper Candy Mix". Well when I picked up my developed pics from the 1 hr photo I got a suprise......all 19 pics were of the same Buck in velvet. I have posted only 3 pics to show time intervals and different views of his growing rack. I had the timer set at 1.5 min. intervals. I also made an interesting discovery on this setup as to how often a single deer will visit a mineral lick (or it was just a fluke...after all it was a Full Moon the last few nights). I set the cam up on Sunday afternoon 6/3/01. I will list below the times of each pic.
6/5   5:10 am               1 pic
6/5   8:32 - 9:01 pm     6 pics
6/5   9:22 pm               1 pic
6/5   11:01 - 11:10 pm  3 pics
6/6   1:28 - 1:36 am      4 pics
6/6   3:23 - 3:45 am      4 pics

Thanks for the recipe bradleydale. Maybe I will be able to watch his rack mature over the next few months.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I'd say that boy is addicted to your block cedar and he's not a bit bashful either. Kewl pics. So, how big do you think he'll get by looking at his starter antlers? He looks like a younger buck.

d91

Reaction score
I'll take a copy of that recipe.... care to post it?

gizz

Reaction score
Nice Pics Cedar, that's a good recipe. How long did it take for the deer to find it?

cedar N sandy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies fellas!
spectr17,
 I think he is young also and will probably have a small 8 pt. rack....most of the second year racks are small 8 pt. on our club.

d91,
 I used 25lbs. of loose red trace mineral in the bag, 1 full box of ice cream Rock Salt and mixed it together in a 5 gallon bucket. I got the recipe from bradleydale's post but was unable to find the di-calcium phosphate he mentioned. I dug out a bowl shaped hole in red clay/sandy soil mix about 3 ft across and about 6 inches deep in the center. Red clay works best because it holds the mineral longer. If anybody needs any Red clay come to Ga. and get all you want :)and whatever you do dont get it on your clothes because it won't come out. I then topped it off by pouring the 2 part "Block Topper" mollasses/candy mix all over the mineral. This stuffs activates causing a thick frothy foam about 4 inches deep. It gives off a strong mollasses/sweet smell.

gizz,
  It took him about 4 days to find and that is just an educated guess. I am doing an experiment on lick sites and made 4 the same day. 2 with this recipe and 2 with Deer Caine. I only have 2 cams and did not have it set up on this site until 5 days later when I changed setups. 2 days passed before I got his first pic.

p.s......in one of the pics he is running off but returns 2 hrs. later.....so much for the flash spooking them very much.      

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Cedar

You better set up some "Lip Balm", bet that deer's got chapped lips from all the salt  :)

Tinhorn

cedar N sandy

Reaction score
Tinhorn you 'bout made me ruin my keyboard with spewed milk & cornflakes.....bustin a gut right now laughin'.....Hey I got an idea....when bowseason comes in I'll hunt over a 5 gallon bucket of water within 100 yds of the lick 'cause he will surley be thirsty....but then the Game Warden will write me up for huntin' over bait ;).

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Nice pictures....has anyone out west tried one of those mineral licks?

stanman

Reaction score
Excellent pics hope to see more in the future
Stanman

Latest Posts

Top Bottom