buckshot and slugs

richf

Reaction score
going up to alaska in a few months and plan on doing some hike in fishing.the lakes are 4-7 miles from our cabin so overnight camping will be more practical.my buddy and i will both be carying shot guns and we thought loading buckshot and slugs together will be best.can a barrel with a choke also shoot slugs?looking at like a 20-24 inch non riffled barrel to fit my 870.any help would be great.thanks

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Use a modified or improved choke, and you should be fine with both buckshot and rifled slugs or "pumkin balls". You're looking at real close, fast shots if you have to use it, so 100 yard accuracy really isn't going to be an issue.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
I'm assuming it's for bear protection. My suggestion is ditch the buckshot; it's not going to be effective. For slugs I would use the fastest three inch loads I could find. Shoot a few at paper at fifty yards and make sure they go where you point. Improved cylinder would be just fine.

I did read somewhere that if a grizzly charges you from anything less than one hundred yards you are going to get mauled, regardless of what you are shooting at him (except maybe a twenty mike-mike)

Have fun! The best protection is to pay attention to your surroundings.

richf

Reaction score
roger that guys.slugs all the way.the last thing i want is a close encounter.i heard its 50/50 you hit them when they charge but 100% medivac trip or worse when they are close like that.my fishing buddy is an x-marine so i got good backup.thanks for all the input.

Advertisement

Top Bottom