Buddie's first turkey hunt

wingbone_2003

Reaction score
Well took a freind of mine Chris Reduced 87%

1483 x 1547 (1.18MB)
that has been wanting to go turkey huntin for the last six year's out yesterday to one of my spot's first off in the morning we had em gobbling from the roost so i'm telling him this usually how it goes down hen's will fly down walk toward the decoy and then the gobblers will drop in and cut them off and pow plan was i was going to shoot first as i was huntin with my bow unless there was only one bird then it was all his well the hens dropped down opposite way and the gobblers followed and didn't want anything to do with our set-up,we moved to another area set-up started calling got a hen to respond and a jake walk in but he hung up with the real hen and wanted nothing to do with us my could buddy could have shot him but the angle was from direction,so we went had lunch at henshaw cafe and headed back out for the afternoon on the way in we saw to groups of bird's so i told him hike down the creek bottom stay low and if it works out they'll walk out in front of you about 50 yds. it's the path they take to head back toward their roosting area well the gobbler was pushing 4 hen's and let's just say the hen's are the only one's that made the journey back uphill oh and after ranging the shot 62yds. his first turkey 9"beard 5/8th spurs

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Wow, nice bird! Congrats. I've been hearing more and more about long shots this year. It seems like they are becoming more and more doable. I'm not casting stones here, I'm just curious. What kind of loads and/or chokes are you using to make those kinds of shots?

radioleo

Reaction score
Hello SDHNTR,

Try the Comp-N-Choke XXX Full turkey choke with Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density Turkey loads, 3 inch, # 5.

Comp-N-Choke tests those shells at 50 yards and when I called Comp-N-Choke to ask for ammunition to use with their choke for turkey there ONLY choice was Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density Turkey Loads.

I use a Benelli 12 gauge Super Black Eagle II with the Comp-N-Choke XXX Full turkey choke with Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density Turkey loads, 3 inch, # 5.

Going out this weekend.......CAN"T WAIT !!!!!!!!!

radioleo

Woodeneye

Reaction score
I was using my Benelli M2 w/ a Carlsons ported .665 turkey choke and Heavyshot 13 #5's 3" loads. I had patterned it out to 50 yards last week and felt comfortable taking the shot. I still wince at the cost per shot, but if you figure $3 a shot and I only needed one, makes it worth wild. I know I couldn't have touched that bird with lead. Many thanks and props go out to Frank for getting me into bird country and puting this together. By far the most exhilerating hunt of my life and now I'm hooked on this Turkey thing.

radioleo

Reaction score
yo wingbone_2003,

NICE bird.....WOW......

radioleo

wingbone_2003

Reaction score
Chris did you get your photo's i emailed them to you and i will take you huntin anytime acted like you have been doing it awhile already alot of guy's don't have the patience,nice shot but then again i wouldn't expect anything less!

Woodeneye

Reaction score
Got the first e-mail of photos, turned out very nice. Thanks again for the expert guidance. See if I can swing next week. Think I'll be setting myself up for disappointment after yesteday though, tought act to follow, I'm still pumped. He'll be dinner by Saturday night. Thanks again buddy! :)

Chris

Latest Posts

Top Bottom