Buffalo bull down

mike_cook82

Reaction score
I was offered a chance to go on a hunt in New Mexico with a friend so I jumped on it. We got there on a Friday afternoon and started doing some poking around. We ended up not getting on buffalo until the next morning but we dropped a bunch of jack rabbits that afternoon. The next morning I happened to be in the right place at the right time and a herd of about 15-20 came walking down a creek bed and the first bull offered me a shot at about 15 yards. I let it go and watched him turn around with about 95% of my arrow hanging out of him. He went for about 100 yards before he piled up under a tree. Tough animals that is for sure. Weighed him up and started skinning and quartering him. Got him to my butcher shop in SD about 8pm on a sunday and let him hang for 2 weeks and now were eating him!View attachment 84889

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Congratulations! The aging process is vital and greatly improves the dining experience...looks to be about 2.5 years old, how much meat ya get out of him? Couple hundred pounds?

mike_cook82

Reaction score
Thank you! He was estimated at 2.5. I ended up with about 250 pounds of ground, and another 300+ pounds of steaks, roasts, and other cuts. It really helps out having a butcher shop now. it would have taken up my kitchen for at least a week to cut that dude up. My buddy got one that is pretty close to identical about an hour after I had put mine down. I was pretty impressed with the quality of the herd that we saw. From what I understand, there are quite a few good herds still in that area. I wish I had the extra cash to get it mounted. I'm just going to have the hide tanned and I'll do the european mount myself.

thewolfman

Reaction score
Really awesome... Congrats to u and your buddy.... How much did the butcher charge u??

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Super congrats Mike on arrowing a Buffalo and thanks for sharing your hunting adventure story! If u have more photos of your hunt and New Mexico to share that would be cool, thanks......tra

mike_cook82

Reaction score
@thewolfman I used my butcher shop. http://www.cookpigs.com/how-to-purchase/

TRA: I just updated my phone and tried to restore it but its really not working. as soon as I get this Iphone up and running I'll put some more up here. The best part of this story is that after he dropped, I walked up to him and realized that he was still breathing so I wanted to put one more in him to make sure he went down. I put an arrow into him at less than 10 yards and he jumped up so fast!!!! I ended up having to put a giant bush in between us until he finally expired. Mexican stand off!

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Thank you! He was estimated at 2.5. I ended up with about 250 pounds of ground, and another 300+ pounds of steaks, roasts, and other cuts. It really helps out having a butcher shop now. it would have taken up my kitchen for at least a week to cut that dude up. My buddy got one that is pretty close to identical about an hour after I had put mine down. I was pretty impressed with the quality of the herd that we saw. From what I understand, there are quite a few good herds still in that area. I wish I had the extra cash to get it mounted. I'm just going to have the hide tanned and I'll do the european mount myself.
How is that even possible? I got 511lbs outta this guy

417lbs outta this one

and my buddy got 185lbs from this one

I'm thinking typo.

Bossbrott

Reaction score
Damn nice, thanks for sharing.

I think you'll have to use beetles on the Euro mt, as that head would have to be boiled in the hot tub!!

mike_cook82

Reaction score
I dont know what to tell you bruce. But if youre interested I can show you the yield weights and losses. I guess you could say that I have a pretty good relationship with my butcher and dont throw a whole lot away.

mike_cook82

Reaction score
Bossbrott- I was trying to order the dermestid beetles but I think I got a contact number for someone who doesnt know what theyre talking about. They told me that they cant ship it to me unless I was a licensed taxidermist...Never heard of that before. I buried it in my compost pile on the back of the farm. I called a taxidermist here in San Diego (I wont mention their name) but I was looking at 1500-1600 for the hide tanning and then another 1000 for the euro mount with the replica horns so I could make something else with them. I said screw it and I'm probably going to tan it myself and with that skull in the compost pile, it should be ready pretty quick. I buried my last buck skull out there and it was slick as a whistle in just about a month.

snoopdogg

Reaction score
Hell yeah, well done. Price of the hunt? PM me if you'd like. You got yourself a lot of meat outta that guy.

snoopdogg

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. Congrats on the bull with archery tackle and for 500lbs of great eating meat. Someday soon...

vogel002

Reaction score
HOw's the Euro Mnt coming along? and if you wouldn't mind shotting me a PM on the hunt. outfitter cost etc.

Thanks.
M.V.

k_rad

Reaction score
Ummm yeah that's pretty cool....!

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
I dont know what to tell you bruce. But if youre interested I can show you the yield weights and losses. I guess you could say that I have a pretty good relationship with my butcher and dont throw a whole lot away.
Well you either saved the liver and heart and brains or your bison cuts were bone-in. No way a 2.5yr old can produce that kinda weight in deboned cuts. Heck, the field dressed carcass would weigh almost that much. (See link-presumes 55% yield which is normal)
http://www.thebisonranch.com/How Much Meat Can I Expect.pdf Better calibrate that scale bud. LOL

My bison were 6.5 & 8 yr olds and didn't yield (deboned) what your butcher claims your 2.5 yr old did. Just not possible. Somebody's foot was on the scale or he charged you by the pound. Perhaps both? ROTF!

Last edited:

mike_cook82

Reaction score
Well Bruce... Once again I don't know what to tell you. I am the butcher....http://www.cookpigs.com/cook-family-butcher-shop/ I weighed him gutted at over 1000 pounds at a scale in New Mexico. I have a USDA inspector that weighs and calibrates my scales as well as the county of San Diego. Thank you so much for your advice. I don't know how I've made it this far without it. Here's some advice I think you should spend more time hunting and learning to cut meat and less time writing super educated things on jesses... and shopping for gear you will never use or need. Thanks for your advice.
Well you either saved the liver and heart and brains or your bison cuts were bone-in. No way a 2.5yr old can produce that kinda weight in deboned cuts. Heck, the field dressed carcass would weigh almost that much. (See link-presumes 55% yield which is normal)
http://www.thebisonranch.com/How Much Meat Can I Expect.pdf Better calibrate that scale bud. LOL

My bison were 6.5 & 8 yr olds and didn't yield (deboned) what your butcher claims your 2.5 yr old did. Just not possible. Somebody's foot was on the scale or he charged you by the pound. Perhaps both? ROTF!

Top Bottom