Buffalo Hunt

Vermonster

QUOTE (SDHNTR @ Dec 19 2008, 10:04 AM) http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=1071377
Can he get a young little bull or cow? I might want to go armed grocery shopping.
Nate,

Don't know about this place, but do a google search for buffalo hunting. You'll get about a thousand hits, and almost every outfitter I checked out had cheaper hunts for cows or calfs, for "meat hunts"....... Seemed quite a bit cheaper, too......

ltdann

I talked to the guy briefly and the price was on a sliding scale, 1250-1650 and I guessing thats size dependent. He told me the animals are not always available and there's was a list. They get the buff's from either catalina island or idaho.

My hunting dance card is full this year otherwise I'd be on the list now. I was looking at bison hunts in Utah, Nevada and Colorado for next winter for about the same price. I can save a ton of gas money by doing it local and the hunt would be about the same amount of challenge. The difference is the distance, and of course, the snow.

Thats meat for an ENTIRE year and then some. If available, I'd like to go with something like a 2 yr old heifer that yeilds a bit less quanity.

SDHNTR

I just want the meat, and maybe a tanned hide out of the deal. Since it's close it's almost enticing. I know it's not a "hunt" but for the right price, it might make sense. Can he get a young eater for less? I can still buy a lot of beef for $1650. I've seen meat buff hunts for less than $1000, but it does involve a lot more travel.

ltdann

I chatted with him just briefly so it maybe worth it to call and ask more questions. The number is on his website, just google big horn canyon ranch. For some reason the e-mail didn't work. If you do call, let us know the specifics.

I agree there are cheaper hunts out there, but when I factored in gas, hotel etc. and the time off from work, the price was comparable. And, you don't have to worry about getting that much meat to a butcher, wait around and then drive back worrying about ice melting etc.

It's so close you could use T & H market or one of the other local guys that do game meat.

I have no idea what a bison hide with a winter coat would cost to tan. I'll have to ask Breck down in El centro next I see him.

Glass eye

QUOTE (ltdann @ Dec 19 2008, 11:05 AM) http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=1071390
I have no idea what a bison hide with a winter coat would cost to tan. I'll have to ask Breck down in El centro next I see him.
MUCHO DINERO !!!!
The tannery charges me $11.75 Sq ft That's my cost, not including shipping both ways and labor. I'll need to shave and salt the hide. The tannery doesn't accept fresh green hides. Talking about $1,000
It's actually cheaper to buy one already tanned.

MJB

Banned
Have you guys looked at some of the ranches along the central coast?
I've seen some ranches that have some bison near Las Padres NF. And another plus is there are lots of cattle processors in the area.
If I get a chance I'll ask around. I love bison meat; soooo much better tasting than beef. I get my fix at Cowboy Star in downtown san diego, they have a meat market next to the bar.....too bad it's about 20 bucks a pound.

ltdann

QUOTE (MJB @ Dec 19 2008, 01:42 PM)
Have you guys looked at some of the ranches along the central coast?
I've seen some ranches that have some bison near Las Padres NF. And another plus is there are lots of cattle processors in the area.
If I get a chance I'll ask around. I love bison meat; soooo much better tasting than beef. I get my fix at Cowboy Star in downtown san diego, they have a meat market next to the bar.....too bad it's about 20 bucks a pound.
I really hadn't look in CA very much, that's why I was soooo suprised Big Horn had them available. My buddy and I were leaning towards Utah or Colorado. We're looking for a 2009-2010 winter hunt so there's plenty of time. Of course, cheaper and closer is better, as always.

Was gonna get the hide tanned, but after Brecks comments....

BackCountryHNTR

Wow! you guys got me thinking...a Bison "hunt" for $1,300 that yields at least 650# of meat is like $2/Lbs!!! I need a new freezer!!

ltdann

Exactly!

Like SD said, it's like armed grocery shopping. Not much of a hunt, but hey, for $2.00/lb and food for a year, I'll squeeze the trigger.

QEU

why not just go to a rancher and have them deliver that thing to a local slaughter house? i think this is a much cheaper way to go since this is simply an "arm grocery shopping." Not much of a hunt and a lot of work to get that dead meat into the slaughter house. I saw one with the cows at the old Weibert Meat slaughter house in Fresno a month ago. Not sure how much it cost but I know the new owner's kill, skin, and quarter fee is only $100. Hanging and pagacking will probably cost more but if they take care of kill, skin, and quarter, I can take care of the rest... Just need two new freezers and a new charcoal grill.

ltdann

QUOTE (QEU @ Jan 28 2009, 04:33 PM)
why not just go to a rancher and have them deliver that thing to a local slaughter house? i think this is a much cheaper way to go since this is simply an "arm grocery shopping." Not much of a hunt and a lot of work to get that dead meat into the slaughter house. I saw one with the cows at the old Weibert Meat slaughter house in Fresno a month ago. Not sure how much it cost but I know the new owner's kill, skin, and quarter fee is only $100. Hanging and pagacking will probably cost more but if they take care of kill, skin, and quarter, I can take care of the rest... Just need two new freezers and a new charcoal grill.
Most of the ranchers I've communicated with say they're charging the same as if they'd sold it to a slaughter house. They make a few hundred extra on the field dressing quartering.

Besides, it's more fun to say "I've hunted buffalo" then I've bought buffalo. Still, it's alot of meat to handle at once.

TonyS

About the hide, you could contact your local Tandy leather shop and find out how much "Tannit" it would take to do a hide that size. I bought a 16 oz bottle that says on it that it will tan two deer hides. I think it was $40. AFter that you buy a bag of non-iodized salt, a piece of plywood and salt it down.

I would guess a tanned buffalo hide would be worth it when you figure in the price of the meat.

bzzboyz

As far as you little boys and your ideas of the "RIGHT" way to hunt or shoot if you must. If it's your money then do it your way. If it's my money I'll do it my way. If your money pays for me then I'll do it your way. Until then, keep your trap shut.

As far as the indian part, you gotta think they left a lot of wounded Buff out on the plains in the day and had to use a lot of arrows to put them down. I know they are some tough son of a guns to bring down. This one took four .375 H&H in the ear to go down.

Congratulations Reddeyez. I know you had a lot of fun spending time with your son while you were doing this. That's what it was really about anyway.

Last edited:

bzzboyz

Can you see it now? It was a exotic game ranch in Texas. I'll never say it was a hunt. It was defiantely a shoot, but it's my money and I'll chose to spend how I see fit. And it was fun. Lots of fun. Some people spend thousands of dollars on boats or motorcycles or cars or whatever for their fun. This is how I choose to spend my money.

ltdann

Can you see it now? It was a exotic game ranch in Texas. I'll never say it was a hunt. It was defiantely a shoot, but it's my money and I'll chose to spend how I see fit. And it was fun. Lots of fun. Some people spend thousands of dollars on boats or motorcycles or cars or whatever for their fun. This is how I choose to spend my money.
Nahh, can see it on this computer, I'll check it on the home machine.

I'm with you man, its not like there are free range buff anymore(very little anyway). I've hunted game ranchs before and I've yet to do one that I would consider a slam dunk. Bison is still on my list.

Which ranch, if you don't mind me asking? Not Shanes place down Uvalde way?

bzzboyz

Nahh, can see it on this computer, I'll check it on the home machine.

I'm with you man, its not like there are free range buff anymore(very little anyway). I've hunted game ranchs before and I've yet to do one that I would consider a slam dunk. Bison is still on my list.

Which ranch, if you don't mind me asking? Not Shanes place down Uvalde way?

No. It was a private ranch that I did some work for. They don't normally sell hunts. They usually just cater to the owner of the ranches company clients.

I talked to the guy briefly and the price was on a sliding scale, 1250-1650
That sounds about right. Around Bakersfield, most of the bison I get come from several different ranches around here and are mostly free range and they usually start around $1500 for ones about that size. The ones I've seen for $1000 are nearly calves that are less than 900 lbs. That's a very nice bull.
Hides are pretty expensive to tan since they are very large and heavy. They usually run $600 to $800, not including the head. If you include the head, it will start around $1300 probably. Shoulder mounts and head mounts are usually $900/$600, but I know some taxidermists who charge $2000 and up. You should consider doing a Euro mount on it if you don't do a head or shoulder mount. They are usually $150-$300 depending on who you use. Congrats again on taking such a fine animal.

Top Bottom