Bug repellant

crittergetter

Reaction score
Looking for some innovative bug repellants. Something besides spray and deet.

Farallon

Reaction score
I usually use barriers: long sleeve shirts, head nets, etc.

Some neighbors and friends like Avon's Skin So Soft. A friend spent last week camping with his son, he was going to try the Avon product, there is a formula that contains both insect repelland and sun screen. I haven't seen him since he got back, but when I do, if your thread is still around, I will report on his findings.

muskeg

Reaction score
My wife usues Skinsosoft. It only works sometimes. I don't like the smell. I did get a bottle of citronella type that worked medium.

Deet is the only thing that I know that works well.

I use a headnet and deet when things get real bad. On a recent fishing trip to the Island the bugs were nearing bad. My granddaughter got lots of bites wearing Avon. I got bites wearing 100% deet.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hey Johnnie,

Have you guys tried the Thermacell units up there? I know they're tested in AK, as well as in the Southeast, and I'm pretty sold on them. Great for sitting in camp, or if you're on stand. Not as good for stalking and moving, but still pretty effective and odor free.

muskeg

Reaction score
Speck ... I would think that the Thermacell would work while your at your tent or just stopped for glassing, up herealso. I hve never heard of any one using it in these parts.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I'd definitely recommend giving them a go if the skeeters and no-seeums are as bad there as reputed. I've tested a bunch of gizmos and gadgets, and this is one of the few that really works as advertised.

If nothing else, it'd be huge relief in camp. But I'd imagine it would be great while glassing or making a slow stalk.

Bwana Turtle

Reaction score
I have a friend who used a Thermacell in a tree stand in Saskatchewan last month and said it worked very well and the flying critters were as thick as thieves. From perssonal experience also, I've had good luck with them except if there is any kind of a decent breeze or wind.

CA_pheasant

Reaction score
I still use standard spray bug repellent, but I also carry the "wipes" (OFF or other). These are individually wrapped and each wipe is good for at least one person: neck, face, arms. You can control application better than a spray can in the wind.
I keep these things handy in my pocket, in each vest, glove box, field gear bag, dog training gear. Take a half dozen to the duck blind and your buddies might pay big bucks for them :)

crittergetter

Reaction score
My main concern is that deet will melt/damage my Impertech rain suit if I'm not careful with the spray. My wife and I used scented dryer sheets a few weeks ago for skeeters in the sierras and they did ok. The problem is the downey fresh scent. I think I'll go ahead and bring the spray and some wipes as well as heard net etc. Never heard of Thermacell but will give it a look. Thanks

Farallon

Reaction score
Talked to my friend, he couldn't comment on the Avon product; they saw very few mosquitos. He did bring his propane mosquito attractor/killer, said he stopped using it after a couple of days because they didn't have a problem with mosquitos.

He spent ~7 days camping, north of Mt Shasta.

camo snob

Reaction score
I own a ThermaCell and I know a lot of other people who use them and I have never heard a bad remark on ThermaCell. Check them out

Speckmisser

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Never heard of Thermacell but will give it a look. Thanks[/b]
Jesse may still have them in the store (haven't looked lately), but if not you can find them almost anywhere. For under $25, it's hard to turn your back on.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I will second the thermacell, also if you use the holster and the wind is pretty calm, you can still hunt very slowly and it still does great, thoug some will get thru. Still hunting thru the swamps of South Georgia with one sold me.

Another tip is to always start it when you leave the truck/camp, where that holster comes in handy, that way it doesn't have to warm up after you are on stand.

I also saw that Northwest Hunter guy bowhunting in Ak for bears, had one and didn't wear a facehood or gloves after it got warmed up. That was the best sales pitch possible, looked like a wall of skeeters about six or eight feet away, but none inside his little window there.

Tominator

Reaction score
Thermacell is the single greatest hunting accessory ever to hit the market, period! Use the holster and hang it upwind if the breeze kicks up a bit. If you get enough of a breeze around here the mosquitos will leave anyway.

doghouse95

Reaction score
I second third and fourth this motion. I wish every new gadget I've tried worked as well as the Thermacell. They also make one for the camp table but I haven't tried it yet.

The BILL Collector

Reaction score
A couple alternative sprays are Natrapel which is all natural.
And bug bands spray, another alternative to deet. A Geraniol formula.
There is also Permanone which you spray on your clothes not your skin.
They all work, it really just depends on your body chemistry on which works the best.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I second, third, or fourth the Thermacell. I have two of them and I love them. I've left it home on occasion and have paid the price. This thing really works - it's the real deal. It's not marketing and hype. I can't tell enough people about it, it rocks!!

no odor, no sound, no oils, just a little device that keeps the bugs away!!!

bigtusker

Reaction score
I used the "10 hour insect repellant" while in Africa and the mosquitos left me alone. It is made and sold by the same company that makes technu for poison oak.

muskeg

Reaction score
Protect yourself from insects that may carry West Nile Virus, Encephalitis, and Lyme Disease with The 10 Hour Insect Repellent containing 100% DEET(N, N-Diethyl-m-toluamide).

and the choice is ........

Get West Nile, Lyme or bit up bad ..... or ...... maybe get Cancer !!!!!!!!

We can land a man on the Moon but can't make non-lethal bug dope (or rain gear that works).

Top Bottom