Bugle Alerts

wmidbrook

Reaction score
None so far for me out in the Wasatch area but any time now--season opens in 3 weeks here...I'm sure the tule elk are startin' to make a little noise by now.

COHunter

Reaction score
Only bugle's I've heard have come from my very own Butt Trumpet!

Kentuck

Reaction score
Thanks, wmidbrook (in a very sarcastic tone)! I had just about gotten over the pain of having the tule elk herd moved from the weapons station by my house to a wilderness area this spring when you bring this up. It's about now that I would start hearing them bugle. Even more so next week when the moon hits full. Sure do miss seeing and hearing them elk. Now all you see there is cows and the occassional coyote.

DFGELK

Reaction score
The tule elk are starting to bugle, I was at San Luis NWR earlier this week and they have just begun. Grizzly Island should be bugling by now as well.

Joe

snoopdogg

Reaction score
Things should go well this weekend with the Grizzly Island folks...

Constitutionalist

Reaction score
Well...

Two weeks ago (Jul 23), the son and I found a herd of 50+ elk grazing along and carrying on like they had never communicated before. No, seriously, they sounded like a bunch of women...WAIT! That is what they were!! Mewing their heads off...when they drifted off we could still hear the chatter of the herd at four-hundred meters. What a bunch of chatter boxes...

Anyway, back to the story...there was this spiker (there were a couple in the crowd, but nothing more mature than that) that was feeling his oats. Occasionally a pair of cows would stand up and take to fighting with their long drawn out mews, and this clown would give the bugle of his life! Okay, yes, he sounded like a clown, but HE thought he was the MAN.

Nick (my Son) and I just looked at each other and chuckled...

Yep, the boy was bugling.

Retarded? Yes, but bugling nonetheless

DFGELK

Reaction score
Bugling at Grizzly Island was pretty minimal this weekend. I personally never heard any but another guy heard a few. They were much more active at San Luis last week. A few bulls were pushing each other around collecting cows, but that was about it.

Joe

MULIES4EVER

Reaction score
I HAVE BEEN BUGLING IN MY OFFICE FOR ABOUT TWO WEEKS NOW. JUST A LITTLE ADVANTAGE TO WORKING AT HOME. THAT IS UNTILL MY WIFE COMES DOWN AND SMACKS ME ON THE HEAD AND TELLS ME TO NOCK IT OFF.

WapitiBob

Reaction score
No bugles.
Went out south of town and called in a spike this morning (18") with a short bugle and a cpl cow calls. He came in running to 15 yards. Then had a branch bull raking but backed off and came home

Taos

Reaction score
Heard COUPLE OF weak bugles last night on th Id. line.

Constitutionalist

Reaction score
Pecos Wilderness Area in NM.

Bugling like crazy early AM on Saturday morning. Music to the ears...

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Awesome!!

I heard one distant, lone bugle on Sunday out in the Wasatch...nothing hot & heavy yet but you've been getting all the weather down in NM!

bighorn67

Reaction score
I hunted the archery opener in the Uintas NF out of Heber City Utah this past week. The bulls were up and bugling including a HUGE 6x6. He was already cowed up with about 20 to 30 in his harem. I had the OTC cow/spike tag. After several very close opportunities I came home empty handed. Over 3 days I saw about 80 head of elk. I'll be going back in about three weeks to go after them again.

Dave

Orygun

Reaction score
Locally the bulls are still hanging with each other. Two spikes I saw were still in velvet.

YORT40

Reaction score
I just got back from the Uinta Mountains. Not a peep @ 11,000 ft. elev.
I'll post my hunt a little later today.

Constitutionalist

Reaction score
Saturday evening through Sunday night, not a peep in 6C of NM.

No rubs.

No wallowing.

And no bugling...although we found a BEAUTIFUL set of lion tracks that made my Shepherd's prints look tiny. This was within a half-mile of the location my son Nick spotted a lion last year.

Lots of turkeys and coyote activity, but the elk "chatter" is slow going.

Railguner

Reaction score
No bugling in northeastern Orgeon either. I just came back from Ukiah and Starkey units. Lots of elk, had a few easy opportunities at some spikes and small brached bulls but nothing that I wanted. I'm heading back up the last 5 days of the season and see if I can change my luck. RG

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Finally got out this a.m. and into some bugling elk in the Wasatch. I was hunting some thick quakies not far from some wallows when I had a bull answer my cow calls. He came running over from the ridge opposite the gully. My heart was pounding pretty good as he came closer. I could hear him running back & forth about 100 - 150 yds deep behind a young stand of aspens. I was trying to lure him out into an opening hoping he'd follow this trail out....well, he was trying to lure me....Next thing I know he was bugling from the other side again and I never did catch up with him...but, someone in the party might have...he spotted a real nice 5x6 up in the direction where I heard the bull heading.

Mulies4ever, his son Taylor and I continued up the canyon....we saw more deer than you could count on both hands. Just as we neared this "deer wallow/junction," a real deer cross roads that was just torn up with an unbelievable # of tracks, a bull on the opposite side of the canyon lit up....and then dead silence.

And, in just minutes after I mentioned that we were close to where I had a close encounter on Saturday...sure enough....Pics to follow when he gets back into town with his camera...I'll post a link. Suffice it to say, we lucked into the same beast I ran into (almost literally) on Saturday.

Top Bottom