Building a guzzler on NF land

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
I came across some plans for a pretty simple guzzler design.  The kind a guy could do on his own in an afternoon.  Consists of a stock tank with a metal cover over it that would drain any rain water into it.  Given the current conditions, it would obviously have to be filled up to start (and maybe a couple more times over the summer) seeing as how we likely won’t get any rain for 5 or 6 months.  Anyway, I was out in the ANF this past week and it's dry as a bone.  Even some places that had moisture last August were dry.  Anybody have any thoughts on putting out a simple guzzler or two?

Regards,
Paul

Dakota

Reaction score
Something tells me that in the People's Republic that one cannot just put up a guzzler in the NF.  I am sure there has to be a regulating body.  And most likely this regulating body won't approve it.

Mt Goat

Reaction score
Dakota

Thats why you go to wal-mart and buy about ten 5 gallon heavy plastic  water containers,, 5 med. size metal bowls and five dog automatic dog watering floats. Put them together you now have five portable watering holes and five refill containers for under $80 bucks. Now go put them where ever you want and dont tell anyone. Once or twice a month check on them and change out the the 5 gallon water container. Paint them any color you need to hide them better. Hide it in a bush or in some rocks and no-one will ever see them.

Mojave

Reaction score
We've built both guzzlers and plastic barrel watering stations from our own plans. I got the idea for the barrel setups from the Forest Service, which used to use upright barrel waterers before switching to guzzlers that don't have to be constantly refilled. We have the 55 gal barrels on their sides, feeding water through one of the fill bungs, placed downward. We use the upper bung to fill the barrel. The water flows through a 1/4 inch plastic drip-irrigation tube, to an angled covered trough, regulated by a swamp-cooler float valve. The front of the trough, opposite the valve, is open. The water level is set so it just reaches the lip of the open end, for easy access to birds. The guzzlers are the same, but with an angled corregated tin apron feeding rainwater into the barrel. By the way - once each was found by the desert animals, water flow went way up. We add about 20-30 gallons of water a week to each during the summer!

Top Bottom