Building my first digital game cam, questions

Cruffler John

Reaction score
Have a D-380 coming from ebay,
Ordered a Direct RSP PixController,
Smart Media Cards, and card reader coming from ecost.com (thank you RSB for the heads up on this company),
I will probably use a UV filter from an old broken 35mm camera for my glass.
Will visit Radio Shack for the 4.0x1.7 plug for an external power supply,
Going to use an ammo can for a protective setup because of big hogs that keep knocking my moultree came cam around. Plus I can design it to be hard to steal.
I am going to wait on a slave flash until I tackle the first part of this project, but will probably also add that at a later date.

Now I need to decide on my power supplys. Reading here I see most use the four D cells. Would I have any problems using a rechargeable 6V lantern battery for each instead. I already use these for my deer feeders and have extras with chargers for swapping them in my feeders. Plus I should have room in my ammo box for them. Also, I am choosing the RSP controller instead of the RSS because of the shutoff feature due to the fact that my camera may be set out for weeks at a time. To use for these long periods of time, could I use a small solar charger with my 6v batteries and extend it even more? Or is the D cells the best way to go, and why?
Thanks guys,
John

timberman

Reaction score
Cruff: Try http://www.batteryspace.com they still have a supply of 4000mAh 6.0V NiMH batteries. Apparently they were built for lantern batteries for railroad lanterns, and they got stuck with them. $21.99 for two of them! I have been using several of them and they work great with the 360L Olympus cams I have built. Cut off the white sensor wire, it is not needed. The solar charger should work to extend battery life- I think I saw some of those on http://www.allelectronics.com, which is a good source for some of the other components as well.

Cruffler John

Reaction score
Thank you timberman,
Those battery packs look like a good deal I ordered them. The 3v solar cells for $3.50 are a steal and worth playing with at that price. I ordered some and will at least wire some in series with a diode to try with my 6v deer feeders, plus will do a little experimenting with the one extra battery pack I ordered to make sure I can use the panels with the game cam without overcharging. At the very least I will have a cheap 6 volt solar charger to keep at the camphouse.
Thanks,
John

Attachments

Cruffler John

Reaction score
I got the ghost coon when I set my moultree game cam, came back and checked it finding the end of the film sticking out of the roll (it always rewound it completely into the film canister before and has since). I thought that I had mistakenly not started the film far enough in the camera for it to advance or not lined it up with the tabs that advance it. Restarted the film and game cam. Turns out there had not been a problem and thus ended up with double exposed film. This created a neat Ghost Coon in the background on the first frame of this film roll.
Neat Huh?
John

Top Bottom