Bummed Out..

PlacerCountyNWTF

Reaction score
So, my Buddy decides to join WU this year. He asks me to pay for the bonus membership so I can hunt with him. So, I do it. I turn my D3-5 tag in for a B zone tag. We scout the ranch. I turn down 3 offers to hunt D3-5 areas with other guys who now have somebody else their taking.

He calls me yesterday and says he can no longer afford WU and is getting his and my money refunded. Now I have nowhere to hunt for the upcoming season. I guess I can go back to the usual stomping grounds which usually produce tag soup but, I was looking forward to the WU thing.

My buddy isn't worried about it because he is leaving today for the antelope hunt he got drawn for up in Siskiyou county, is going to Alaska for a Sitka hunt when he gets back and then to Utah for a cow elk hunt.

Any ideas where a guy can go who doesn't have a lot of time to scout would be appreciated.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PlacerCountyNWTF @ Aug 4 2006, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He calls me yesterday and says he can no longer afford WU and is getting his and my money refunded.[/b]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PlacerCountyNWTF @ Aug 4 2006, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
. . . is going to Alaska for a Sitka hunt when he gets back and then to Utah for a cow elk hunt.[/b]
Funny how somebody can afford an Alaska AND a Utah hunt, but can't afford WU. I've looked into WU, and it's not that expensive.

skeeterbait

Reaction score
Being as I am on the other side of the country, I am not sure what a WU is. But I assume it is membership or paid access to some hunting lands. Is the membership transferrable? Can you find someone else to buy his membership? What about taking a chance and buying his membership yourself and selling it to someone else? Sounds like it may be time to develop a new hunting partner anyway.

PlacerCountyNWTF

Reaction score
The problem is I can't afford the membership for myself right now. I wanted to go the cheaper route by piggy backing on his membership and if I liked it, I would figure out a way to join next year.

And yeah, he is still my buddy. We put our lives on the line together daily so I can't let something like this ruin our friendship.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Bummer, dude!

But that's not that bad... B-zone is a good hunt with lots of opportunities. You'll be chasing blacktails instead of mulies, but no big deal. Tons of public access and the deer ought to be in good shape following two excellent wet winters and springs.

As far as your buddy... heck, if it came to the choice between a WU membership and a trip to AK, UT, and goats in CA, I'd have been calling you to cancel too. It sounds to me like you can't blame him. I sure wouldn't.

Do some searching on the Blacktail forum, and you'll find a ton of info about B-zone. There are several wilderness areas where a dedicated hunter can get away from the idiots and into the deer with a reasonable outlay of energy.

NCahuntinfool

Reaction score
PlacerCountyNWTF

Speckmisser is right about B zone. I have hunted it in the past and seen some nice bucks and one real bruiser. There is a lot of land that you can hunt to get away from the idiots. It's awsome country and alot of bear around too. I have also hunted D3-5 in the past and personally I would rather hunt B zone anyday. Thats just my preferance but what ever you decide to do good luck to you.

Whoadog

Reaction score
Actually that is a GOOD friend, you should hug and kiss him for geting you out of the WU situation.

Top Bottom