Busting them jackrabbits

andrew

Reaction score
Just wanted to you guys know how great the jackrabbit hunting is if you dont already know. That 12ga is really getting a work out.

Mojave

Reaction score
Don't go out of my way to bust jackrabbits or bunnys, since the neighborhood got populated enough where they are not a great problem in the garden. My boy, however, has had a fascination with them, ever since we jumped a monster jack, while hiking in the desert a few years ago. I popped off a few rounds at him, just to keep him honest, with the .22 revolver I always carry while camping. Since I missed, I think my boy has considered jacks his personal challenge. About 5 weeks ago, while quail hunting, I heard the typical "rustle" in the rabbit brush that a quail makes before he jumps, and I automatically lead and fired at the movement with my 20 gauge. Guess I was hyped up to get a limit, as the quail have been great this year. As you might guess, the "bird" that popped up was a big 'ol jack. I didn't want to just leave it, since I can't explain the point of that to my son, and I certainly didn't want to bring it home and cook it, as I am familiar with Tuleremia, and I have eaten jacks I have shot in the past (might as well cook up a batch of chicken necks!). Luckily, the close interest of 2 hawks solved the problem of disposal, and left digging out lead birdshot my only job. I will probably let my boy take jacks, if they jump while we are hunting birds. Anyone have a good motivation for taking jackrabbits, for a borderline "tree-hugger"?  

Advertisement

Top Bottom