By some miracle, the forces in the universe align and ..

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
By some miracle, the forces in the universe align and ....... you get a turkey.

What do you do then? What if you want it mounted? What if you want a fan display? How do you save the spurs and beards?

bobbyray28

Reaction score
Good question I would Like to know my self since this will be my first season?

PIGIG

Reaction score
From http://www.bowhunting.net/taxidermy/wildturkey.html

We all know a lady--maybe a wife, sister, girlfriend, mother, aunt and even a neighbor if need be. They go through nylons like we go through shotgun shells, so just ask for an old pair they are going to throw out anyway. Cut about two (2) feet from the thigh area of the stocking and tie a knot in one end. This is for a big bird like turkey or Goose. (Cut 2 feet from the calf area for smaller birds like ducks or grouse.) Also bring a paper towel and when you harvest that bird stuff the towel down the beak--that will stop the blood from running out. Now put the turkey head first into the nylon stocking and just let it slip on down. Tie a knot at the open end. This will hold all of the feathers tight to the body and will prevent them from being broken. All your taxidermist will have to do is cut the knot at the head end and slide it out, i.e. perfect condition!!. Remember, the better shape is in when you take it to your taxidermist the better it will come back to you.

If you are not able to deliver the turkey to your taxidermist right away, then you will need to freeze it. So get a plastic garbage bag and put the turkey and stocking into the bag, wrap it and freeze it. What ever you do DO NOT GUT IT!!!!!!!!! Get the meat after you take it to the Taxidermist.

Before your hunt is the time to go visit your taxidermist of choice. Ask questions, like will he/she be available on the days you will be hunting, so you can bring the turkey to be skinned, (cause you want the meat). Ask to see reference pictures that he/she will use to mount your bird, if they say they don’t need reference pictures it is time to get out of there and look somewhere else. Also don’t be limited to your driving area. If you know a good taxidermist there is always Overnight mail. It always upsets me to here someone say they have a bad mount but that was the only Taxidermist in their area. It may cost a little more for the shipping cost but the rewards are well worth the expense. You might want to ask how the taxidermist will preserve the head i.e., skin mount, artificial, or freeze dried. I like the freeze dried method myself--it eliminates the chance of bugs getting into the head, and the head hair stays intact.

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
I'm still experimenting with the right way to preserve turkey parts. I preserved the beards and spurs of the first two turkeys I killed by salting them and letting them cure in my garage. That worked reasonably well, except the salt bleached the color out of one set of legs. The third one I salted and put out on my patio. However, the rain blew in and rotted the lets and the beard meat. This last one I killed a couple of weeks ago has its wings, tail fan, legs, and beard in borax. I checked the beard yesterday and it seemed almost cured, but I'm gonna let it set another week.

skeeterbait

Reaction score
I have always said for me to mount a turkey, he has to be color faze, or he has to have minimum 12 inch thick beard, 1 1/2 inch spurs, and perfect fan. I have yet to find such a bird. If I did, I would just drop him off on the way home as I drive right by the taxidermist I would want to do it on the way to my lease.

So, my birds have all been table birds. I get him home, remove the legs at the joint and remove the beard and put in borax to dry. Later I will cut the leg bones to remove the spurs and add to my strings of spurs such as the one below. Most of my beards are stored in a box as I haven't found anything to do with them I like. A few are on fan displays with their respective fans. I have several fan displays I did myself by boraxing the tail end and using Van Dyke display boards. But I stopped saving fans several years ago and haven't done a fan display in some time.

Never cared for roasted wild turkey and hate plucking them, so I am a breast fillet guy. Skin the breast back and fillet off with a fishing fillet knife, takes all of about five minutes once you have done a few. No plucking and no gutting. I usually cut breast meat up into nuggets dredge in buttermilk, batter in cajun seasoned cracker crumbs and fry. The thighs get pulled and go in the freezer. End of the year I get them out, cook in crock pots overnight till the meat can be pulled, add bar-b-que sauce and simmer in the sauce. Makes great sandwiches.

BrandonA

Reaction score
Really depends... If I get my birds fast and my partner doesn't have one then we're back out looking to get him one. It's still pretty cool so I probably will hold off disembowling it until after hunt.... Afterwards off with the fan and beard and into some borax... Clean the bird out and freeze it until im ready to eat lol

Tominator

Reaction score
Borax is the cat's meow! I use it on the fans and the meat end of the beard. For the spurs I just cut them from the legs, peel the skin/scales off of 'em, blast out the marrow and let them dry in borax. When dried, I sand them a tad then paint with clear nail polish.

MikenSoCo

Reaction score
If the pantyhose are sized for " kankles", the bottom half will work just fine

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Borax is the cat's meow! I use it on the fans and the meat end of the beard. For the spurs I just cut them from the legs, peel the skin/scales off of 'em, blast out the marrow and let them dry in borax. When dried, I sand them a tad then paint with clear nail polish.[/b]
Tominator,

How long do you let your parts sit in the borax?

Tominator

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullfrog 31581 @ Apr 3 2008, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Borax is the cat's meow! I use it on the fans and the meat end of the beard. For the spurs I just cut them from the legs, peel the skin/scales off of 'em, blast out the marrow and let them dry in borax. When dried, I sand them a tad then paint with clear nail polish.[/b]
Tominator,

How long do you let your parts sit in the borax?
[/b][/quote]
Normally no more than 2 weeks is sufficient. You'll know when they are safe to take away from the borax because all the meat will be all but gone and what's left will be bone dry and absolutely crusty.

Arrowhead.......daaaaannnnnnnnngggggg!!!!!! Nice collection

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought it was impressive too. The top picture is in the basement of David Hale and Harold Knight's cabin in Cadiz, Ky. The other one are some of mine. Here is another.

Attachments

RR1

Reaction score
Great pics and ideas Arrowhead. I use borax on the beards and spurs and it works great for me. Being fairly new to turkey hunting I have not tried to fancy them up for display, but after seeing the pictures you posted, will give it a try. Thanks.

[attachment=51004:DSC00039.jpg]
[attachment=51003:DSC00044.jpg]

Attachments

Arrowhead

Reaction score
RR1 >> You can go to Walmart in the crafts section and get different kinds of beads to put between the spurs. Not my original idea but thought it looked cool.

Good Luck.

Tominator

Reaction score
RR1, put some clear nail polish on the spurs and they'll look better and stay that way

z71stealth

Reaction score
RR1 - Did you make your own wing-bone call that's in the picture?

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Yeah, I thought it was impressive too. The top picture is in the basement of David Hale and Harold Knight's cabin in Cadiz, Ky. The other one are some of mine. Here is another.[/b]
Darn you arrowhead. You had me thinking that you were the lord of turkey hunting. Which you collection is still impressive.

RR1

Reaction score
Tominator and Arrowhead, thanks for the tips. z71stealth, yes I made the wingbone from JHO article "how to make a wingbone call". I`ve posted it before, it sounds terrible to me but the turkeys like it. Here is a later picture after I decorated it up a little.[attachment=51018:DSC00054.jpg]

Attachments

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom