C Zone Archery tag...HELP!!!

Zimm

Reaction score
Just got my last minute C zone tag for archery. I missed my draw choice and a buddy of mine says get one of these C tags for archery and come on up. Well, long story short...he is working all week and I'm on my own.

Anyone hunting that way has some info to share?

Would REALLY appreciate any help.

Thanks!

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
Zimm,

Where are you at and how far do you want to go? I have hunted a lot of those areas and could give you some generals to try..

Zimm

Reaction score
Ohh, You the Man!

I am coming from Orange County. Will go as far North as I need to, to have any chance at a little buck.

Thank you for the info and...I work for Shimano so if you fish I'll dial you in with a nice combo!

Zimm
rdz92656@yahoo.com

C++

Reaction score
The problem is there is a lot of good country and a lot of dead country and some country where there should be bucks and there aren't any... Mountain Lions, poaching, habit problems all are taking their toll. Historically, places like Swain Mountain, the area East of the Chester Dump clear out to Westwood has been good. A lot of the country is tree-stand country, but you probably don't have time to do that. You need to find where three major trails intersect. What I would do is still hunt some areas until you figure things out. Try to find unused logging roads where you can walk quietly and observe tracks. Running around in a vehicle and you'll miss the clues that a dusty logging road would provide. The tracks and trails will eventually give you clear indicators of where to hang your stand. No tracks mean no deer and time to find another place to hunt. I believe the hunting should be good until Thursday, August 26th, then the moon will be against us. I hope this helps. Honestly, if I hadn't invested so much time into this country I would be hunting w/ a bow up in one of the "B-Zones".

I'm also planning to do a little sneaking around in some new terriority up there, besides figuring it all out is half the fun of it.

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
Zimm,

The areas that C++ talked about are some that I was thinking of. If you go up Highway 36 by Lake Almanor there are tons of logging roads and a fair number of deer. A few weeks ago I shot an archery tournament below Chester and saw quite a few deer around Morgan Summit.
I'm not a big one for road hunting, but driving the logging roads during the middle of the day is a great way to find pockets of deer. If you don't see the deer you can see the well worn trails. Once you find the deer you can build a blind or hang a tree stand. The area gets hit pretty hard during the weekends, but lightens up during the week.
Swain Mtn Experimental Forest has some really good looking areas, but probably gets some of the most pressure. Big portions of this area are brush with scattered trees. In years past I have done well getting on top of one of the big openings and glassing. Once I found a buck, they often would bed down out in the middle of the area. At that point I'd work with the wind and put a stalk on them. Sounds crazy, but I have had success with it.

Good Luck and I hope this helps..

in2blacktail

Reaction score
Zimm,

Also you might call or harass the DFG field officer for the area your planning to hunt.. They often times can fax you maps of last years kills in the area and possibly draw you a game plan map showing you the general routes and directions deer are traveling..
I hunted C's a while back and had some great help.. You have to make some calls (sac) to find the right field rep, but once you do, stay on them, they are willing to help.. Use you resources..You might even call the ranger stations in the area..They validate deer every year coming out of the area.. might be good source of info too.
Good luck and Happy hunting...

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
In2Blacktails suggestion is a good one and one that I always forget for CA. Along those lines you might even want to talk to the USFS folks. There is a Office in Chester, and another over on Highway 44 at Bogard (not sure if it is still staffed). They are out in the woods alot and might give you some spots.

Zimm

Reaction score
Awwww Man,

So cool to give all this good info...I really do appreciate it!!!! I am thinking I should narrow my initial search (huge area) to one of the C zones (1 - 4). Any idea which of the four zones would be the best and which part of that one would be good to start in?

I tried the DFG guy and left a message friday. Will keep harrassing him this week. I have a HuntersView blind I'll be taking along.

Thanks again!

Zimm

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
All of the areas we have talked on are C4.

Make sure you get a good forest map and look where boundaries of zones break. X4 is right across Highway 44 on NE side, and X6 is pretty close too. I'm not sure how they set the seasons this year, but in past years different C areas opened on different dates and ran for different times too! Easy way to get cross wise with the DFG

Zimm

Reaction score
Well you can tell I am none too familiar with this part of the country.

Has anyone looked between the Tehama wildlife area and the State game refuge east of Redbluff? I would think they are both holding animals and they practically touch in their southern portions but their is a patch of Forrest service land in between????

Zimm

wmidbrook

Reaction score
I've hunted C4 a bit but it's been since the mid-90s for me. There are some deer that stay at lower elevations all summer long but you'd be better off higher than Lake Almanor. The concentrations are going to be thicker up high than down low during archery season....that probably holds true for all the C zones too...you'll want to be 4,500 feet on up unless you're on some known local bucks.

'Ike'

Reaction score
Zimm, you can look that he area you mentioned, it can't hurt...The Deer traverse in and out of the area. You'll do better higher up though........If you head into C1 look up 97, just make sure you stay on the West side.........

Zimm

Reaction score
Hey thanks guys!!! Are there any area's in particular above 4,500 feet you could mention in C4? I am not feeling so optimistic about seeing a deer on this hunt right now...I spoke to a guide yesterday who said the C zones are really tough...a mere shadow of what they were even 7 -8 years ago. Again, any help is really appreciated!

I'll be up to give her a try in any event, just love being in the field!

Zimm

Latest Posts

Top Bottom