CA Deer Hunter Killed this Weekend

eddiehsf

Reaction score
My friend Doug called me today and said a hunter was shot over the weekend and died. He saw a small article in a news paper today, then called and EMT friend who said a Deer hunter had been shot and did not make. The EMT thoght is was near the Carrizo Planes area.

Has any one else heard about this?

eddiehsf

BDB

Reaction score
No, I didn't hear anything. That's a shame, I hate hearing news like that. I'd like to hear what the circumstances around the shooting were though. I'll be keeping my eye's peeled and post anything if I find out any info.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
From the Santa Maria Times . . .

Carrizo Plains
Fontana man dies in hunting accident

Alvaro G. Duena, 42, of Fontana died from accidental fire around 8 a.m. Friday while hunting near the Selby Campground in the Carrizo National Monument Area, according to Sgt. Tony Perry of the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Department.

Duenas was deer hunting with his nephew a quarter mile from their campground when he was shot in the torso from an unknown location. He was dead by the time the Sheriff's Department arrived with a rescue helicopter.

All nearby campers were identified and interviewed. The source of the gunfire is still unknown. The case is under investigation.

VHRAM

Reaction score
thats really sad.what really sucks is whoever shot him just left him to die instead of trying to help.

PoorAim

Reaction score
Thats horrible no matter what the circumstances.

But something (a few things really) in this story is strange:
It says he was deer hunting Friday morning, but the
season didn't open until Sat?

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
I would interview some of the land owners. They would be my first suspect.

Hunter2003

Reaction score
Ya thats what stood out to me too he was deer hunting friday morning? What was he doing deer hunting on friday morning? The season didnt open untill saturday

abbydog301

Reaction score
The Friday morning thing puzzels me also. I have heard of people growing drugs in some public land areas. These people have been known to protect their crops. Perhaps he was scouting friday morning. At any rate this saddens me to learn of the death of a fellow hunter. This could of happen to anyone of us, no matter how careful we are.

ZEKEDAWG

Reaction score
Originally posted by VHRAM@Aug 16 2004, 12:31 PM
thats really sad.what really sucks is whoever shot him just left him to die instead of trying to help.
Whoever pulled the trigger probably had no idea that they may have shot someone. Poor shot selection, long bullet travel, too many variables. The gu could have been a half mile or more away and just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Rookies

Reaction score
Wow.. That is stunning news, because I was planning to go there this pass weekend. The Carrizo plains are BLM land. Since it happen on Friday it doesnt sound like a hunting accident at all. I guess i'll be avoiding this area.

Maverick

Reaction score
Ahhh but he could have been a deer hunter that was scouting the day before the opener.

larrysogla

Reaction score
I am very familiar with the Selby campground area. It is ringed by hills with thick green brush & small trees. The guy was probably scouting & was struck by a stray bullet. Lots of cottontails in those green hills. Who knows??? Hunting is one of the less dangerous sports, but any negative is exxagerated by the anti's. Tragic & hopefully they catch the culprit. NOW!!! Come opening day of deer season, those Selby hills are crawling literally with hunters NOT wearing orange, for that reason I have stayed away from Selby on opening day. Too dangerous to fire a round at a deer when there are tons of people crawling in the thick brush with no orange hat or vest. I prefer to stay away from trouble if I can avoid it. 'Nuff said.
larrysogla.

D-Zone

Reaction score
I 'm sure there is a lot more to the story than told. I have never been to Carrizo but i'm wondering if its usually packed with hunters and is there constant firing. Thats really sad. I'm gonna try and search more into this.

Backcountry

Reaction score
This sounds fishy and the circumstances suggest it "may" not be a "hunting" accident, but rather a case of negligent fire.

Refresher

1) treat all firearms as always loaded

2) keep your finger off the triger and out of the trigger guard until ready to fire

3) be sure of your target and what lies beyond

4) never point your firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy

Regardless, sad & horible news that will reflect poorly on all hunters and firearm owners.

Backcountry

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Don't forget paybacks too. Lots of fueds get settled in the Missouri woods every spring and fall.

They didn't say anything about self inflicted so they must have ruled that out.

crittergetter

Reaction score
It was not on Friday. It was Saturday according to the Telegram Tribune for San Luis Obispo County. Check for yourself at telegramtribunesanluisobispo.com. Anyway.
Pitdog what makes you suspect a land owner? Just curious. You will be well informed that there are no land owners with in miles and miles of the Selby. It was formerly a large ranch that the BLM aquired. It is boardered by two other BLM owned ranches and a no shooting zone in the flat.
I would be curious to know if the nephew heard a shot. From my experience this area has a large turnout for opening seasons year round. I have personally found that it has a low population of deer in comparison.
I don't doubt that it was some idiot taking either a skyline shot at an animal or mindlessly firing at whatever.
It is a real shame though. I think of the family and friends that are having to face such a loss. It should not have happened and I have trouble understanding how it did. I think of the word accident then I think, incompentence, then negligence, then trial by jury. I hope they catch who ever it was. After all it could have been any one of us that was taken from all whom we are loved by.
On the topic of hunter orange, if this is a case of a stray bullet it obviously would not have helped. Please don't misunderstand I promote the idea and wear orange myself out of paranoia but I think if people had more common sense we would all be safer. Like that will ever happen.
I remember about five years ago a kid got shot in the ankle at Ligget . The offender was witnessed fleeing the scene leaving the kid to hobble and crawl for help and was later caught. I don't know how that ended. I'll be watching this one more closely.
Oh ya, you know what keeps me at home on opening weekends? $#!% LIKE THAT!

larrysogla

Reaction score
Three years ago, me & a buddy were up in the hills above Selby campground on deer opening day. It was not yet 6:00 AM & was still very dark. Then shots rang out, I knew instantly that there was a risk of mistaken identity accident 'cause it was still semi-dark & the valley was echoing with shouts & loud voices & our 2 way radio was picking up a lot chatter. When it got light we could see a crowd moving all over the hills & the valley. My buddy & I were the only ones wearing orange. I knew right then & there I was not coming back on opening day. Now my worst concern has come to pass tragically. I am not that hot on venison to take such risks. I can get by on assembly line chicken & pork chops.

larrysogla.

easymoney

Reaction score
The article in the local fish wrap was sparse at best. Not alot of details. But, one thing is for sure, I have hunted in this area for over 30 years and this "accident" won't be the last. It is the same in many other public places, too many over eager people, willing to blast away at anything that moves or makes noise. I used to hunt the Azone during rifle season, but never again. I have had too many close calls of this kind before and that was enough for me. The last big hunt at Camp Roberts was a perfect example: too many people going into the primitive area along the river and not using good common sense. Instead of using binocs I had one "hunter" checking me out with his scope...Scary.
In the "good old days" a hunter could go out anywhere in SLO county and not see another person. It was considered a rural county and little known. Those days are long gone... Even during bow season I run into hoards of other "hunters" who have heard about this area. It's not about whether or not to wear hunter orange, but because of the volumes of people getting out, it is about "safety". Anyone who has hunted the Carrizo before knows how wide open it is and how little cover there is compared to other areas and still this happened.
Whether ornot it was an accident or intentional as some have suggested(I doubt this seriously) is not really my point. It makes sense to do all that is nessecary to save ones own hide and if that means wearing hunter orange during rifle season, so be it. I bow hunt almost exclusively and I wear full camo. But, it may come to pass that that will change as well.
Backcountry makes good points to review before going out anywhere.
And yes, we are all diplomats of our sport and the antis would love nothing more than to stop ALL hunting and use of fire arms. So, be careful out there and try and set a good example of how we as hunters can really be...

Top Bottom