Ca hunters, I need help with regs

andrew

Reaction score
I have read the regs book and cant understand on the laws about night hunting. I want to go for coyotes in Northern California but I dont know if its legal or not. If anyone night hunts, could you shed some light on this. Thanks.

songdog

Reaction score
In CA it's legal to hunt at night with lights for predators (coyote, fox, bobcat, etc.).  No deer, pigs, bear, etc.

It's probably more effective, at least on bobcats but I don't like it as much as during the daytime since you still can't see nearly as much.  Be careful about calling alone at night though.  Still a lot of lions out there and I get the willies just thinking about it...

andrew

Reaction score
Thanks songdog. Is that anywhere in n. california? is there any regs about discharging a firearm in ca at night? Why would someone want to hunt at night in winter and fall

songdog

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure about NorCal vs. SoCal but I don't think that they distinguish north from south except for duck and quail openers and things like deer zones, etc.

It's cold in the winter at night but it's a lot easier to see bobcats (my primary reason for calling at night) at night.  They don't typically come running in like a coyote so being able to see them sneaking in has its advantages.

californiacoyotes

Reaction score
ithink it depends on the county too.  an area i hunted is shotgun only...it took me a month to figure it out...but only with help from another varminter. read the "use of lights" on page 8 of the 2001 regs. if i remeber right you are in sacramento, but being a life long socal resident i ain't to familar with the highways(as boundaries) up your way. or call DFG and ask to talk to a warden or somebody in the know. they are, at least down here very helpful to me.

Hook

Reaction score
It is legal to hunt at night in certain areas of the state. In the Mojave desert and up through the eastern sierra you can use a 12 volt lighting system. And in other areas you are restricted to 6 volt lights.

I have hunted coyotes and bobcats several times at night and it is a blast.  
Please read the regs carefully and make sure you understand were and when you can use lights to hunt at night.  

I use an amber or red lens for night hunting. they dont seem to get alarmed at those color lights.

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
The best way to find out is to go to the DFG website and email your question.  You will get a response from a Lt. Liz Schwall.  Print it and put it in you pack.  That way if you run into a uneducated warden or ranger you have written verification from a DFG supervisor.
I'm carrying one now that says using commercial bear scents is NOT baiting, and legal in California.

Advertisement

Top Bottom