CA Striped Bass Stamp Requirement Renewed

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
California DFG

January 7, 2002

Striped Bass Stamp Requirement Renewed as Population Continues Rebound

Contact: Heather McIntire, Associate Biologist, Central Valley Bay Delta Branch, (209) 948-7800

SACRAMENTO — Under legislation signed by Gov. Gray Davis that took effect on Tuesday, Jan.1, 2002, the California Department of Fish and Game (DFG) will continue to sell Striped Bass Stamps for an additional two years. The extension, which runs through Jan. 1, 2004, provides continued funding for restoration efforts for this recovering sport species.

Gov. Davis signed Assembly Bill 1673 in October, which extended the requirement that anglers fishing for striped bass have a Striped Bass Stamp affixed to their normal fishing license. The price of Striped Bass Stamps remains the same at $3.70 from authorized license agents and $3.50 from most DFG offices.

The stamp was established in 1982 to provide funding to address a decline in the abundance of adult striped bass which began in the 1960s and was obvious by the late 1970s. Several factors are thought to have contributed to the decline, which persisted into the mid-1990s, including juvenile fish losses at delta water diversions, reduced river outflow, changes in the estuary's food web, pollution, and poaching.

Authorization for the stamp was due to expire on Jan. 1, 2002. Sales of Striped Bass Stamps generate about $1 million annually which has historically supported striped bass monitoring and research, enhanced law enforcement, and the rearing and stocking of juvenile striped bass in the estuary. In recent years stocked striped bass have made up 2 percent to 6 percent of the adult population in the San Francisco Bay-Delta region. DFG has been assisted in deciding how to expend stamp revenues by the Striped Bass Stamp Fund Advisory Committee, a group appointed by DFG Director Robert C. Hight.

Projects funded from stamp purchases and other sources - along with improved environmental conditions in the San Francisco Bay-Delta region - have increased the population of adult striped bass from about 600,000 in 1994 to nearly 2 million in 2000.

By agreement with the National Marine Fisheries Service and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, DFG has suspended stocking of striped bass in the San Francisco Bay-Delta to ensure that the recovery of the bass population does not inhibit the recovery of native species such as delta smelt and winter-run chinook salmon. Stocking is likely to continue in San Luis Reservoir and other inland water bodies with existing striped bass populations. Under the two-year extension provided by the legislation, DFG and the advisory committee will identify projects that significantly benefit the striped bass population, yet protect threatened and endangered native species. Several types of projects meet this general criteria and are being explored at this time, including restoration of habitats and ecological processes and enhance fisheries law enforcement in the Bay-Delta system.

The striped bass was introduced to California in the late 1870s and early 1880s when a few hundred young striped bass were transported from the East Coast and released in San Francisco Bay. Within 10 years the species had established itself and supported a commercial fishery of over a million pounds per year. The commercial fishery was terminated in 1935 in response to pressure from sport fishing interests. Adult striped bass abundance peaked in the early 1960s at nearly 4.5 million fish.

rusman66

Reaction score
OK this crap makes me angry!!!!!
Lets read this for what it is>

Stocking is likely to continue in San Luis Reservoir and other inland water bodies with existing striped bass populations. Under the two-year extension provided by the legislation, DFG and the advisory committee will identify projects that significantly benefit the striped bass population,

What the above paragraph really says: is we have really gotten used to the extra Million dollars a year, and we will try and think of something to use it for.

Several types of projects meet this general criteria and are being explored at this time, including restoration of habitats and ecological processes and enhance fisheries law enforcement in the Bay-Delta system.

My question is, what does the $30 dollars from my fishing license pay for: If not for Habitat Restoration and fisheries law enforcement. Doesn't the fish and game know how to come up with a budget.

This is a steaming pile of crap!!!!

I Don't mind paying to enhance fisheries, but they could at least have a specific gameplan.  

I don't know how many stripers Gov Davis has caught ?  But It is obvious how many Millions he can spend!!

you can call it a stamp if you want, I call it a tax. And an 11% tax increase sucks.

Fubar

Reaction score
rusman  You are right. Just another tax and you will get nothing in return. There are bumper stickers in many So Cal fishing tackle stores that say "Vote for anyone but Gray Davis" and they are free. I will have two on my vehicle.                    Fubar

rlwright

Reaction score
If theres a shortage of strippers anywhere, then the DFG can take them out of Lake Havasu. This lake is overpopulated with them. There used to be excellent crappie fishing on Lake Havasu until they started planting stripers.

bandblaster

Reaction score
they should take them out of castaic they have ruined the lake i have my dad tell me stories of when he used to fish there and get double digets out of there all the time,whether you want to believe this or not my dad caught the first stripper out of castaic and when he showed it to the lifeguard the lifeguard called him a flat ass liar that he brought it from priamid but my hunting buddy was with him when he caught it we have it mounted in his office.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom