CA turkey tag? Yeah or nay?

• No idea, I'm too hung up on a tom right now to think straight

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
NWTF is all for beating CA DFG to the punch and issue turkey tags for CA. At the meeting tonite at Bass Pro NWTF regional manager Dave Halbrook said they have 2 state legislators ready to introduce the bill at the next session. Something like $20 for 4 tags, good for spring and fall if I remember right.

I see it like the BOHICA hog tags we have to buy now. No way does this broke arse state let that money go to just turkey projects. We can wing it but I just don't see them moneygrubbers in Sacaramento not wanting a piece of the pie.

Dave also mentioned that if DFG puts their recommendation in for turkey tags, none of the money may go to turkeys, it may get dumped into the general fund and get used who knows where, like our deer tag money.

What say ye? Strike early and pray for a miracle?

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but IMO, people need to leave spit alone.....God I hate this state at times!

D13Hunter

Reaction score
Not even gunna say anything on this except Not unless it goes to the turkeys Gunna try to keep away from ranting on this one!!! Makes me

Sumpnneedskillin

Reaction score
I'm for a tag only if one or both of the following are met:

1. It's used only for turkey (habitat etc)

2. It's used to fund more wardens for enforcement. Right now these guys/gals have a very tough job and the state is making it even tougher for them.

crapsVC

Reaction score
BackCountryHNTR you better specify which turkeys!!!

and No to the Tags Just like the Lotto filled our schools with $$ so will this tax oh I mean tag

Victor

mudhen

Reaction score
A huge yes from me.

Turkeys get little respect overall in this state; from many hunters and from many in our own Fish & Game department. Turks are a big yawn to Mr. Greenjeans. I bet he gets far more complaints about nuisance birds that he does turkey poaching. Someone has to step in and try to make them at least pretend to care about these magnificant game birds.

I was shocked to see that our own F&G actually got out of bed before sun-up last weekend to bust an 11 year old kid shooting a un-bearded gobbling tom over bait in Red Bluff.

I have e-mailed all my NWTF contacts and told them I will help support a tag in any way possible.

I spent $130 at my last patterning session, so $20 for 4 tags is child's play for me. Just bought my 5th turkey shotgun. Those that pay $1000's to shoot semi-tame private turks should be ashamed to gripe over $20.

If the $20 MIGHT do some good, I'll support it. I don't need a full accounting ahead of time.

36 states already do it. It will happen here. I'll pay happily when it does.

mudhen

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
Man mudhen YOU GOT ISSUES! I think most of the wardens treat turkey season like any other and try to do their job well. AND, I also agreed with them popping that group which was paying to sit over bait and shoot an illegal turkey (they were not hunters in my book).

and... My tag is my upland game stamp. I don't support anything else until they prove it will go to turkey expansion. We have plenty of habitat, we need to be able to plant the birds into the available habitat. Until we can do that don't even bother asking for me to buy tags.

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
when they pry it from my cold dead fingers!!next it will be quail tags,and so on and so on and so on.....

brut

Banned
Reaction score
I'm guessing nwtf doesnt need my support if they keep this one up.

fishnhuntfreak

Reaction score
i wouldnt mind 1 bit if i knew my money was goin just to turkeys or even if i knew it was goin to go to the dfg but i im aggenst it cause i know all my hard earned money going to go to the welfare line.

mudhen

Reaction score
Soooo, are the other 36 states wrong for requiring turkey tags?

I think this is a fun debate, but I predict it will pass with flying colors.

I plan to be the first person to step up and wave my $20 bill at their office down the street from my work. These great birds are worth it.

mudhen

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
the way i see it is they are gettin enough from me already,with 3 boys coming of age,
the old upland bird stamp aint gettin any cheaper,i wont be standin in line.
oh yes,and they are worth it,i think about that every year when im buyin that stamp and
poundin birds with the boys and the 12 gauge
as for the other 36 states,to each their own,
i dont live there. *by the way,great lookin bird!! here is one we whacked last season, have,nt takin
them out yet this year,but its coming.good luck!

Attachments

AimHigh

Reaction score
I just ordered one of those decoys for my wife.

I think one of the problems is that California is one of the most expensive states to hunt in as a resident. Oregon residents get a turkey tag as part of a "sportsman pack" that costs about $130. With that they get a bear tag, deer tag, elk tag, mountain lion tag, and fishing license. How much you think that woujld cost here? I can afford the $20 and would like to see a reporting system. But it's a tax on law abiding citizens, probably won't increase hunting opportunities, and doesn't account for poachers like the hunt club that made it into the paper recently.

ducslayer

Reaction score
Lets look in the past.....Pheasant tags...nope,we need a pheasant stamp....nope,we will raise the price of the license and will no longer require a stamp......nope ,we need a upland bird stamp( again so you can hunt pheasant),dove,& turkey.......nope now we need another stamp....and by the way,if we require New Stamps or Tags they are NOT included in the Lifetime license that you purchased! You must purchase them at a xtra charge,
.......Jim

Advertisement

Top Bottom