CA-X4

barel74

Reaction score
Drew x4 this year. I have never hunted it. I am pretty familiar with the western edge of the zone, fished Hat Creek quite a bit, and I've hunted C4. Fished Eagle Lake a bit, but didn't get any further than that. Got a few areas that I know I want to take a look at, but figured I'd throw it out here, and see if anyone had any info for me. Any areas to stay away from, for crowd purposes?

chrisk

Reaction score
One of the best places I have heard from my friends that hunt that zone are the mountains behind the prison. Several of our close family friends are the camp hosts up there at Eagle Lake and one of them actually hunts the area every couple of years when he gets drawn. We camp there at Eagle Lake just about every year and I personally have seen big bucks while ATV riding in the mountains across Eagle Lake road from the campgrounds. If I didn't hunt X1 so much that would be my next choice just due to my familiarity with the area. I have also heard of some very large bucks taken on the C4/X4 border off Hwy 44 from a couple other good acquaintances of mine. Make sure you stay out of the State Game Refuge though.

I only share this with you because I don't think any of them got drawn this year. :)

Hope that helps and good luck!

chrisk

Reaction score
OH yeah, and get away from the roads. Everyone road hunts up there.

bigmike

Reaction score
I hunted x-4 years ago.......get away from the roads. I missed a monster up there! I saw a lot of bucks, but was very picky.

soupr

Reaction score
Haven't been there in a while but prison springs just to the west of eagle lake use to be a good area. Like I said it has been a while but we use to see some bruts up there.

bodega

Reaction score
Plenty of nice bucks in the Cassel area at the opposite end of the zone from Eagle Lake.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom