Cabela's 5mm Waders

hntndux

Reaction score
I bought a pair of their standard 5mm chest waders with the lug sole boots during the middle of the 1999 season.  Last year while hunting Colusa I had a 1.5" split across the top of the right boot and thought I had cut it on something in the pond.  Last weekend at Delevan my left foot became instantly wet and I found the same split developing on it as well.  They split right where the boot bends.  I called them and it didn't sound like they're willing to do much, but told me to send them in for an inspection.  I realize $120 doesn't get you top of the line waders, but I think these waders should last a little longer than 2 seasons...

Litch

Reaction score
I have the same waders and bought them about the same time. I too have cracks developing at the boot. They already split at the crotch, boy was that a surprise the first time I waded in deep water. Cabelas has always been good about customer service, but I have had bad experiences recently. I have a pair of Danner Elk Hunter boots and a Gore Wind Stopper sweater that had problems this deer season. I called them to see if they would stand behind the products and it did not sound good, they told me to send them back for evaluation. Kind of gets expensive on postage just to find out if they will replace or fix the products.

Triggerfinger

Reaction score
How do you guys that are having the boot splitting problem store your waders?  I have used the same Cabela's waders for years without incident; however, I do take some precautionary measures:

1. Use boot dryers to remove moisture prior to storage; and

2. Hang upsidedown from a commercial wader rack -- the kind that attaches to the wall and the boots fit into the grooves.

I'm going on 5 seasons without any problems, other than the ones I caused myself by getting into it with the local sharp stick population.

Hope this helps.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I have the heavy Cabelas waders (a Christmas gift about 10 years ago), and I've been using them in everything from southeastern oyster rocks to California tules without much problem.  Something did once poke a hole in them, but I patched it with neoprene repair goop (pick it up at any dive shop)and it's held fine for three years.

I hang them upside down in the off season using a couple loops of rope.  

Mine aren't the "regular" Cabelas waders, though.  

Jay

Reaction score
Stockingfoot waders:

1. Outlast the boots
2. Can be used for kids who's feet grow three sizes every year.
3. Don't split at the boot
4. Are easier to dry since they can be turned completely inside out.

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
Same exact thing happened to a friend last year. Waders were new, and they split about two inches on the boot. Cabelas would not replace them.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Ya just gotta get bitter with them!!!!

I sent back a jacket I wore for 1 1/2 seasons because I didn't like the color.
It didn't look like the waders and it sure didn't match the photo in the catalog.
Lady tried to tell me it's hard to tell because of the printing process.

Yeah right lady....I've been printing for 17 years.

Give-em hell and send it back weather they say you can or not. Tell their customer service reps it's the last thing you or your buddies will ever buy from them and then ask them if they know the number to Herters.

jerry d

Reaction score
I've worn a pair of Cabela's 3mm waders for about 5 years with no problems(knock on wood)other a couple small snags, which invaribaly happens during a season of crawling in and out of tank blinds.

Like Triggerfinger, I hang them from a boot hanger when not in use.

I also use a boot remover, one of those wooden things you put your heel in to slip your foot out, and never pull on the material when putting them on. Pull on the boot section instead of the material.

Like E A said, ya gotta get tough with them. One of my hunting partners ordered a dozen speck decoys from them and they sent snows. He raised so much hell they sent him a dozen specks and told him to also keep the snows.

Good luck.......

hntndux

Reaction score
I usually hang mine in the closet, but I admit I don't always get them as dry as I should.  I'm going to give them another call and get a little nasty before I send them in.  I think I was too nice the last time I called.  Wish me luck...

Chessie

Reaction score
Jay has it right with the stockingfoot waders.  The Cabela's 5mm work great and keep me very warm when I hunt in Oregon.  They tend to be a little hot hunting here in So Cal but I'd rather be hot than cold.  I dry mine both inside and out every time and I have no leaks in 5 years (having said that I'm sure I'm due for a sharp twig).  However, I am now on my second set of boots.  They seem to crack/split right below the laces on on the side.  I usually patch with Goop for a season or two then buy new ones once it gets real bad.  My question is has anybody found a pair of boots for stocking waders that last longer?  My father bought a pair at a store in OR. and they lasted 2 months.  I've picked mine up from Turners and like I said they last 2-3 seasons.

Jay

Reaction score
Hodgman wading boots usually last 2 -3 seasons. I often find them on sale in spring.

Don't bother with felt bottoms!

DanD

Reaction score
I have to agree with Jay stocking foot waders and the hodgman boots.  I think I'm on my fourth year with the boots but this will probable be the last.

Chessie

Reaction score
Jay, I agree lug soles only.  My brother used felt bottoms boots over Thanksgiving.  Pretty hilarious watching him "tiptoe" around.  I'll have to look in to the Hodgeman boots in the spring.

hntndux

Reaction score
Cabela's did me right!  I received a full refund in the mail yesterday for my faulty waders.  It's good to see a company stand behind their product this well...

MQ

Reaction score
For wading shoes on my stocking foot waders I buy a low cost hiking boot, like the $19.95 Big 5 specials. There is NO reason to spend more for the Hodgemans. The first pair lasted me 7 or 8 years, although they looked pretty scoady at the end. Buy a size 2 sizes larger than your regular foot size and you will be very comfortable for the long hikes out.

Drake Slayer

Reaction score
They have lug sole wading boots at Guns N Gear in Sacramento for 19.95. I am on my 2nd season. They are starting to get holes in the canvas by the toe. The bottoms are still thick so rocks don't hurt. $10.00 a season is a bargain.

Swiss Lad

Reaction score
Cabelas brush busters are on their 6th year.  Other than a small hole from barbed wire that Shoe Goo fixed, no problems.  Also use shoe dryer then upside down for storage.

Orygun

Reaction score
Brush Busters - Wear like Iron, wiegh close to 25 lbs, not for refuge walking. Pac shoe inserts perfect for standing inice water.

Cabelas 5 mm stockingfoot - Warm, nice. Stockingfoot best for the gumbo mud.

Hodgeman lug sole waders - 9 yrs first pair, Definetly go twoo sizes bigger, you can wear thicker socks when the weather gets cold.

PowDuck

Reaction score
For stocking-foot waders, definitely go to WallyWorld and get a pair of cheap hiking boots. Get the all nylon, no leather if possible. Wore mine for 5 years or so with no problems. Kinda hard finding a size 14 though. [:D]

PowDuck

Reaction score
For stocking-foot waders, definitely go to WallyWorld and get a pair of cheap hiking boots. Get the all nylon, no leather if possible. Wore mine for 5 years or so with no problems. Kinda hard finding a size 14 though. :smile-big-blue:

Top Bottom