Cabela's RECON HUNT for iPhone

map

Okay, I have this iPhone 4 working with Cabela's RECON HUNT Application. My first test is FHL Training Area 29. This test will probably work with the newer Android with GPS chip?

Log on to the Cabela's site with the email and password that you use to purchase sporting goods from them.

Here is the link for all Cabela's RECON HUNT smart phone users to share:

http://cabelas.trimbleoutdoors.com/User/Login/Default.aspx?GoTo=/Trip/EditInfo/Default.aspx&Msg=You+must+be+logged+in+to+access+that+page

Click on the left side of the page where it says, "Share a Trip", because your smart phone will be sharing my hunting trip. Later, you will be able to add what ever you want, and keep it private inside your phone, if you want?

My handle at RECON HUNT is, "map from Jesse,s"

The name of the Trip that I am sharing with the public is, "FHL Training Area 29"

If you log onto the RECON HUNT site with your laptop, and your iPhone 4 is running the RECON HUNT Application, everyting is loaded automatic without asking for your permission. There is no way to know what other information is being transfered? But, I trust Cabela's with my credit card, anyway.

After the, "FHL Training Area 29" trip is loaded into your smart phone, then make it the "ACTIVE TRIP". A 24K Quadrangle Map with TA-29 outlined in blue will be in the center of your screen for navigation. I loaded one Waypoing at the Hunting Check Station and Campground, so you can find your way back to camp.

This is my first test, so I would appriecate knowing how things turn out.

Thanks for the test. Remember that some areas of FHL are not covered by Cell Service, so the Quadrangle Maps like, Williams Hill, should be loaded in the the iPhone Cache before hunting.

map

When I find out something new about RECON HUNT I will post it. Don't know whether the test TA -29 Trip can be loaded with only the iPhone

Also when I first load the trip from Cabela's my present position is shown as a blue dot on the Map Screen. To see TA-29 I have to touch "GOTO' and a straight blue line goes there. Then I have to pan over there with my finger.

bigshot

I got this app for my r2d2 verizon phone, and it never seems to work when I need it out in the field. Always says no map available. I used it while in D14 and recently on a Colorado trip where I really needed it!. It sucks.

map

When working outside of Cell Service area you must load maps into Map Cache before entering the area.

Sent from my iPhone/Tapatalk

bigshot

I'll look into the, "Map cache," and see if I can figure it out. Do they have a book I can read to learn how to use the unit.

henmar77

I thought so too when i first got this app. However, field performance is not nearly as good as home performance. I have a fast phone and map load and follow is SLOW as well as zoom. GPS doesnt always work so good.

map

henmar,

What phone are you using? My son has the Android and it runs Recon Hunt faster than in my iPhone 4

henmar77

EVO. it work pretty good in the beganining but is slow now. had it about 2 months. didnt really change the fact that the app is a great concept with great features but poorly designed. I dont really care for it that much. There are a lot of things that need to be changed on it. Most of all i hate the fact that you cant view maps without entering a hunt or enter a location to view an area on a map like google. What is the point of calling this app RECON if you cant actually do any. The Cache isnt great either. The fact that you have too zoom in and out to get the views you want is a pain. Im still not sure exactly how it works. I really wish i could view the private land overlays on the cabelas website. Again, RECON. I know its in the development stages. I would love to have chance to sit on the development team to work out the bugs. Personally I would just loave to have a tracking app with private land overlays with easy cache and be done with it. does anyone know of an app like this? I would love to know the name of it.

map

I am presently sitting in my boat on the Sacramento River salmon fishing. Recon Hunt is quite a bit slower in Verision 3G mode than with my Wi-Fi at home. However, when I load the maps into Map Cache ahead of time, the performance is the same as Wi-Fi.

I am using the iPhone 4 Navionics Application on my boat, but it is designed to plot a straight line course on open water. It has all the river navigation features, but not the River Miles that are marked on the Quadrangles. That means that if I want to run my boat up river from Veronia to Knights Landing I have to use Recon Hunt's MyTopo to see that it's exactly 10 miles. Then I can compute the required fuel?

Navionics can't do that, so I would have to plot a course around the many river bends to arrive at the 10 mile figure. However, I still need the Navionics Chart, especially at night.

All & all, I give Recon Hunt a grade of A-Plus.

Last edited:

map

I am having bad luck loading an entire Hunting Zone into the Map Cache. The iPhone4 simply stops loading after an hour or two. Maybe the Droid will do it , but not my iPhone 4. The way I get around this glitch is to load smaller sections.

The G3 is too slow, so I load the Map Cache even when there is cell service.

I am a downhill skier, and use the AllSnow Application for iPhone rather than ReconHunt.

T O Double D

I really want this app to work, but like you said loading a map set is painfully slow on the iPhone. I tried caching the topo map set for Laguna Mountain BLM area at the highest resalution. I was able to down load most of the map tiles, although it took all night, but trying to get the last 1,500 has been a pain. The app itself has slowed way down and is almost unusable. I'm using the older iPhone 4 by the way.

When this app works it can really be cool. The topo maps are much better than the one in my Garmin 60csx. I was using it on my last hunt and it helped me figure out where the private property was. It was frustrating though as there were map tiles missing in some zoom levels. I really hope they can figured out the lag issues. I would pay a lot more for this app if it was faster.

map

We just returned from a hiking (get in shape for hunting) trip at Yosemite. The iPhone 4 and RECON HUNT worked great, but I only downloaded into Map Catch the Topo Maps for Yosemite Valley and up around Glacier Point. There is no cell service where we were hiking, so for sure we were using the pre-loaded maps in Map Catch. The Topo Maps are the best available, and showed all the trails up to Vergal Falls and beyond to Nevada Falls.

So, I will suggest keeping the Map Catch as small as possible. Also, for some reason the loaded maps didn't automatically zoom in, and gave a blank screen until I pinched my fingers on the screen to get the proper zoom.

The battery life for the iPhone really sucks! I had to turn-off the iPhone completely while hiking the trails, and go by memory. Which of course resulted in us taking the wrong trail for a while until we realized that we were 1,000 feet above Vergal Falls. All is well that ends well, because we got some fantastic pictures of both Vergal and Nevada Falls from up there.

As a precaution, I wouldn't trust RECON HUNT for night navigation.

stode

...The battery life for the iPhone really sucks!...
In case you were not aware of the things you can do to help battery life on the iPhone (or any "smart" device for that matter), you can turn off the applications not being used. Including the phone app. Also, put the iPhone into "Airplane Mode" to turn off the radio functions. This, along with turning off all apps with the exception of the Recon app will help your battery life tremendously. Good luck!

map

Thanks, I was wondering what the Airplane Mode did? I use Bluetooth for music, so I will remember to turn it off before hiking. I tried to turn off the GPS completely, but it's listed with each Application. Is there a master switch to turn off the GPS?

Another problem is sun light on the IPhone Screen and trying to read the maps. Then there is the fact that the iPhone was getting too hot while hiking with the screen on. While hiking in the back country it's to risky to allow the iPhone to over heat and leave me stranded with no GPS or Compass. I use the iPhone Compass for everything. I don't ware a watch a anymore either. Plus, no flash light, or camera. It's a whole new ball game with this iPhone.

Last edited:

digglerP

Hey Map, Are you getting GPS read from your iphone even in areas without service? I tried using the GPS function while in Los Padres this last weekend and it would not get a GPS signal. I figured the GPS chip only works while you have a cell signal. Maybe I read the post wrong.

Anyways, thanks for the info on the Recon hunt. Just got it downloaded and started playing with it today. Gonna try it out on the next outing.

stode

Digger, if you search the web you can get instructions for downloading Google maps to your phone cache. That is how the GPS works with maps without cell reception. Cell/data reception is only required to to download maps "on the fly".

Tip: use wi-fi to download maps to your cache while home. Collect the area you will be in and maybe a buffer zone.

henmar77

Hey Map, Are you getting GPS read from your iphone even in areas without service? I tried using the GPS function while in Los Padres this last weekend and it would not get a GPS signal. I figured the GPS chip only works while you have a cell signal. Maybe I read the post wrong.

Anyways, thanks for the info on the Recon hunt. Just got it downloaded and started playing with it today. Gonna try it out on the next outing.
Is the GPS module not working or are the maps not displaying on the screen. Those are two different things. As digglerP stated you have to cache the maps at home but if the GPS isnt working then there might be something wrong with your phone (or turn the GPS on ;))

Top Bottom