Cabela's RECON HUNT for iPhone

map

Reaction score
Okay, I have been using Recon Hunt quite a bit up on the Sierra Crest where there is no service. The software is different than a regular hand held GPS unit.

First, go lite and just load the Topo into Map Cache.

Then start a trip with a waypoint that you create within the saved Map Cache area. That has to be done while inside a cell service, because Recon Hunt is a cell phone server and doesn't store all your trips in memory.

Before leaving Cell Service load & sync the trip with the Cabala/Trimble server.

After that is done, if you still have a blank screen, then pinch your fingers on the screen to zoom-out. Only the map tiles that you preloaded into Map Catch are available when outside of cell service. If the unit is set to a zoom that you didn't preload map tiles you will get a blank screen.

It's better to break down a large Deer Zone into small areas rather than spend all night only to have it crash.

Just make sure you have a Trip loaded off the cell server before heading into the unknown.

Tap the little cross in the top left corner of the screen to turn in FOLLOW ME. That will show your GPS position as a blue dot.

Sent from my iPhone/Tapatalk

Last edited:

digglerP

Reaction score
Hmmm I pretty sure I had the gps enabled but I think you're right about downloading the maps. I'm pretty sure I saw the blue dot but no map (can't remember exactly though) I'll give her another go. Would be nice if I can just use my phone instead of buying a gps.

Last edited:

map

Reaction score
Hmmm I pretty sure I had the gps enabled but I think you're right about downloading the maps. I'm pretty sure I saw the blue dot but no map (can't remember exactly though) I'll give her another go. Would be nice if I can just use my phone instead of buying a gps.
I had Recon Hunt working perfectly again last weekend along the Coast outside of Liggett. There is no cell service. What happened is; while looking for a campsite I ended up way south at Hearse Castle. There was Verison G3, so I downloaded the Topos. A lot slower, but it can be done in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone/Tapatalk

Top Bottom