Cache Creek  help!

IBAfoo

Inactive
Reaction score
I do not want to gloat.  I just need help.  I got a draw for Cache Creek opening weekend and I have never been there.  I am not afraid to walk a long way, I just want to go to a good place.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  

I was a blockhead and only put myself on the card.  Can I bring a non-shooting partner along?  The person I spoke with was not sure.

shaginator

Reaction score
As far as I know the draws generally require a record of your current hunting license number. It seems reasonable to conclude that DFG is going to partner you up with another single who's been drawn.

Obviously, calling the field office in that area (Ukiah?), as opposed to the ones closer to home -- if you haven't done so already -- is going to get you the definitive answer.

(Edited by shaginator at 8:44 pm on Mar. 15, 2002)

Wild Turk

Reaction score
Cache Creek can be hit or miss.  Generally, the best hunting I have found has been relatively close to the parking area (off 20).  Try following the trail that leads out of the parking area up into the hills. I have heard sporadic gobbling there.  Just remember that the majority of Cache is low brush and not suitable for Turkeys.  Anywhere there is Oaks, there are birds.  You may also want to go over the ridge and down toward the river on the other side.  I have seen sign there.  GOOD LUCK!  

There will be a bunch of hunters there opening morning (I think they let in 40).  You probably want to get in early and be up in the hills before anyone else.  

Kentuck

Reaction score
My stepson and I got drawn for opener last year. We went in way before daylight. Never heard a gobble all day. One spot I heard a gobble while scouting had some folks camped in it. We went in off the Harley Gulch parking lot. Tough walk for the first 3/4 mile but then flattens out. Only two birds taken that day. We heard both shots. they were way in on the Payne Ranch (new blm purchase). Word from the dfg guy in the parking lot was they were let off at a different entrance and had a truck parked at harley gulch for them.
One thing to do there is if you find sign, sit down and call and be prepared to stay there a long time. Those birds are smart in there.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom