Cache Creek Reports?

JakeCarter

Reaction score
Hey all - I haven't seen a single report from Cache Creek so far, has anyone been up there lately? I'm considering going this weekend for the first time, planning to pack in Friday afternoon as far as we can get. I called the BLM office yesterday and the lady I talked with told me about an area she had hiked through on Monday that had several birds in it. I went to Knoxville for the opener, won't do that again

Kentuck

Reaction score
I'd check with the BLM again because I think that part of Cache Creek WA closes on April 1 for the elk that will be calving. I think the area is Wilson Valley. I'd double check that. Birds are there but are tough to call in.

JakeCarter

Reaction score
I did ask about the Wilson Valley area being closed and she said that they are not closing it this year. How long of a hike is it to get into that valley? We will be able to get there around 4pm and plan to go as far as we can, we're both 30 and in good shape. I found a hiker's website that mentioned it took him 7 hours, but that was with taking the wrong trail for a portion of it, stopping to take pictures, eat lunch, etc. Is the hike doable in 3 hours if we don't stop to smell the roses?

Kentuck

Reaction score
Unfortuantely I haven't hunted Wilson Valley before. Might now though! HA! Always felt it should be full of turkey considering it was always closed right after turkey season opened.

Attachments

buckspotter

Reaction score
Wilson Valley is about 6 miles in and you'll have to cross the creek (if you can this time of year) about half way there. Water should be about just over your knees and running pretty quick. If you get across the creek it should take you about 2 1/2 hours(total). Never been that far in during turkey season though, only deer hunting. There are some turkeys on the ridge this side of the creek, back towards Lower Lake if you can't make it across. Good Luck!

JakeCarter

Reaction score
We went to Cache Creek on Friday/Saturday. Got there a little later than we hoped and did the last couple of miles in the dark. Setup camp about a mile from Wilson Valley. We took the Judge Davis trail. When I talked with the lady at BLM last week she had suggested that we try the hills and ravines northeast of Wilson Valley. Said she hiked through the area last week and saw several turkeys there. We woke up at 4:30 and headed down to the valley. Got setup before light in a really nice looking spot. Called for 2 hours and didn't hear or see a thing other than the hen call of another hunter somewhere above our spot. So we got up to move and saw two more hunters across the river. We tried a few more spots over the next few hours before deciding to head out. We just were not seeing any turkey sign at all. We expected to see more sign of wildlife, only found a couple of deer trails and saw 2 rabbits, there were coyote droppings about every 20 feet on the trail though. On the way out we passed a boy scout troop on their way into the valley for an overnight stay. I'm hoping to get out one more time before the season ends. I have access to some private land near Ione, problem is the last 4 times we've gone there the birds are on the neighbors property and just won't come over for anything. They've got hens where they're at and it's uphill through thick brush and over a fence to get to us. Hoping that the hens will be nesting later in the season and those toms will get desperate enough to put the effort into it.

Advertisement

Top Bottom