calif elk rut

forkehornreggie

Reaction score
Last week I went through Williams , Ca. on my way to go scouting. Ironically, I was listening to promos' jim horn on a cd regarding calling. I had all my calls with me. About 15 miles outside of Williams I saw a herd of elk. I thought---cool!! I stopped and thought I would call to them. There was approx 20 head. There was a herd bull and I saw a satallite bull. I made bugels and they responded asap. I then made cow calls and the bulls would respond. This is more verbalization than I hear in Idaho in mid-sept. This was approx August 3rd. They completly acted like they were in the rut. Do calif elk go into the rut early????

LeeChul

Reaction score
I can't remember where williams is, but around Monterey because of the constant year round weather and no real seasons, the deer go into velvet an rut real early. They get velvet early spring and rut Like summer time. It could be the same with the elk. The animals rutting time in Idaho depends heavilly on the weather. But you don't really have to worry about it cause the seasons there work like clock work.

Anyways I don't know if any of this makes sence, just my thoughts.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Yeah, tule elk are bugling real good around A-zone opener thru Dove opener.

There were absolutely in full rut around the dove opener last year--might be a hair earlier in Owen's Valley since it cools off more @ night.

forkehornreggie

Reaction score
You must be correct regarding the weather. Williams in 60 miles north of Sacramento.

Monsterbull

Reaction score
Sounds like rutting behavior to me. If the bulls aren't in bachelor groups anymore, herd bull, satellite bull, responding to calls......maybe they are starting up. I'm not familiar with the elk in that area though.
You said north of Williams. Do you mean northwest, towards the mountains?

Kentuck

Reaction score
I'm not sure why but Tule Elk rut in August. There is a small herd on some weapon station land by my house that I can hear bugle this time of year. The herd bull is a true monster in both body size and rack. There are 2-3 satelite bulls around too. The other night they were really giving each other a hard time. Doesn't do mush for the nerves sitting in my yard listening to elk bugle. I haven't had the chance yet to actually go hunt elk while they are rutting but that is my dream hunt with a bow.

YORT40

Reaction score
Last weekend I watched the Tinemaha "Hollywood" herd for awhile. The herd bulls were totally seperate from the rest of the rag bulls & cows. Its hard to believe the first archey hunt is already going to start on Saturday. In 100 degree temp. to boot.

'Ike'

Reaction score
The Tule's will rut earlier than most........

Latest Posts

Top Bottom