• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

California Aqueduct

Jesus

Hey guys I am new to fishing the California Aqueduct. I got a question for the guys fishing out by Fresno/Coalinga area off of I5. Are you allowed to drive in with your car to access the aqueduct past the parking lots on some of the areas where the gates are open. I went out on Saturday 3-14-2015 by HWY 198 and I parked my car at the parking lot. However, as I walked in about 800 yards near a bridge, I noticed other cars and trucks driving all the way in to fish. I know these people were not the guys that tend the aqueduct because they had their fishing poles sticking out. If any one can fill me in that would be great. I don't want to get a ticket for Trespassing. I did see a white sign that read;no Trespassing: No Motor vehicles, ammunition, guns, etc. Hopefully, someone can clear this up for me. Thanks in advance.

norcaljc

Sorry I can't help you out, but if it's posted I would stay out of there until you hear otherwise. I fish several areas in the delta were it is posted, yet people still drive in, park, and fish. Just because other people have no respect for the law or other folks property doesn't mean we all should. Hope you catch a bunch where ever you end up.

Jesus

Thanks norcal, I will follow your advise. I kind of thought that as well. I don't want to get cited. I'll just have to park and be ready to walk in as far as I can. Good luck and thanks.

huntingbret

Sorry for the late reply but that's my fishing ground. I always drive on the duct from the five point area down to avenal gates. I have never had anyone tell me I can't. Many fishermen drive that portion of the duct everyday to get to their specific spots. I've also ran into a few different game wardens while driving on the duct and not a single warden told me I couldn't drive on it.

Jesus

Hey Bret thanks for the response. I had a feeling it was ok. Good luck out there.

Cowmanone

How is my old stomping grounds treating you all. From the area originally, and caught some great stripers below the head gates off HWY 198.

Jesus

The fishing is pretty good on the bass on Hwy 198. My cousin caught a nice striper out by Button willow. I am barely getting into this striper fishing, so I
plan on heading out there more often. I purchased a couple lures, so I will keep you guys updated once I get out there. Any tricks or tips? Seems like they were biting on anchovies and shad a couple weeks ago.

jhill528

Just something I learned years ago fishing the aquaduct. Instead of fishing from the banks, bring a 6-8 ft ladder with you, then find the little open topped tunnels that connect the two banks to each other. Setup the ladder so that you can fish from ontop of the walls right in the middle of the water. Your bait stays straight out and cut anchoives was the trick for stripers. But then again this was ten plus years ago so there might be restricted access to these areas now. Just an idea.

huntingbret

I don't bait fish anymore. I use jerk baits such as the duo realis 120 or lucky craft pointers in the 100,90, or 128 and my favorite, white ice pattern fluke on a jig head. Jig heads for the fluke range anywhere from 1/2 oz to 3/4 oz depending on the flows. I normally fish the gated (pumps) areas, any pipes pumping water from the farm to the duct, and the rails. I hardly do open water fishing and if I don't get a bit within 30 minutes at a gate, I move on to the next.
Interesting concept about the ladder though even though I haven't seen anyone done it. Now I have seen some crazy people sit on top bait fishing. Scary!!!

Jesus

Hey Bret thanks for all those tips. I might check it out this Saturday. I got a couple lucky craft lures and a few fluke jig heads. I a wondering, how do you spot the stripers in the canal. Do you just randomly pick a gate or do the stripers come up to the surface and follow the bait fish?

huntingbret

Yep, I just randomly pick a few gates I want to fish. If the gates are not open and water is not being pump, you'll have a tougher time catching fish. With no water flowing like that, your best chances of landing a striper or two will be to bait fish. Now, if the gates are pumping water, I normally start off with my jerk baits first. After a good 5-10 minutes of casting the jerk bait in every direction, I switch over to the fluke. Again, if you have a good flow, use a 3/4oz jig head and a moderate to slow flow, go with a 1/2 oz jig head with a fluke on. Cast out and let your lure hit bottom and jerk it once, drop, pause 3-4 seconds, jerk and drop again. Repeat the process til you see your fluke right at the edge of the area where cement meets water or until you get hung up on weeds. A lot of times, the striper would hit the lure right at your feet. I've seen guys throw the fluke all the way across and work it back but I like to throw it 1/2 way only. With the jerk bait, you want to throw as far as you can before working it back. Good luck out there this weekend. Oh I almost forgot, I went out last night to a gate in Fresno County with a buddy and I had 7 bites total, landed 5 of which only 2 were keepers, and missed 2 bites while my buddy struggled to even get a bite. We were even fishing side by side. If you know what you are doing with your lures, you should be OK out therem. Again, good luck and report back sir. LOL

huntingbret

Again, if one gate doesn't produce in 30-60 minutes of fishing, move on to the next one. Don't spend all day focusing on a single gate only.

scottmarine

Last 2 days in aqueduct in Bakersfield. Used anchovies, worms and swim baits. Fish fry soon!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jesus

Nice catch I haven't had much luck. Will try it out sometime soon as the weather is getting better.

OPAH

Damn I always thought fishing the aqueduct was like fishing in my pool, no way Jose! going to have to rethink this, so is it good down to the Hesperia area also?

Top Bottom