California deer rifle

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I'm bored so I figure I'll stir the pot a little. If you were to purchase an ideal rifle and scope combo for ONLY hunting our California deer what would it be. In order to make it fairly affordable lets limit the cost to $1000. List your reasons behind your choice.

Me first and I think I own it.

Weatherby Mark V lightweight synthetic with a Burris Fullfield II 3x9. Its light for mountain hunting and very accurate. The gun and scope together weigh a bit less than 7 1/2 lbs and 3/4" groups are easy with 117 gr Hornady ammo. It also shoots nice and flat for cross canyon shots. I think the 25-06 is just about perfect for deer our size. Not too much and not too little. I've only killed a Texas whitetail and a few small pigs with it but I like what I've seen so far.

COHunter

Reaction score
The Weatherby is good choice for anywhere if you ask me. I have a Weatherby Mark V synthetic lightweight in 30/06 and absolutely love it. I topped it off with a B&L Elite 3200 3X9X40. Super light, and super accurate

Greg

Reaction score
Well, I am pretty happy with my set up which was very affordable. The HOWA 1500 .30-06 topped with a Leupold vari x II 9x30x40. Not exactly 7 1/2 lbs. but it doesn't weigh me down much.

Cahunter

Reaction score
I have top agree with the 25-06 weatherby vanguard, exscellent rifle and those Bunshnell scopes are fantastic. I almost bought that exact rifle but I found a deal on a customized 270wsm model 70 SS.

fpscabs

Reaction score
Jack O'Connor couldn't be too wrong, I love my Browning A-Bolt .270 with 3x9 VariX-II Leupold scope. Does the job, takes a beating and still shoots tight. Gun cost $400 (in really great shape) used and the new scope was $500ish.

Megadeth

Reaction score
How about tossing a "real" gun in the mix. Winchester Mod. 70, 270 cal/ 130 grains. That should stir the pot, but its true!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ksmuleyhunter

Reaction score
I personally like my Remington 700 BDL in the .260 caliber. It is perfect for shooting deer. The action is the best design ever made in my opinion. You can use up to a 140 grain bullet which drops them in they tracks. I have knock deer off their feet with it. Shoots pretty flat up to about 200 yards with a lot of stopping power. The only draw back is that it is an unusual caliber and is hard to find ammo for in every sporting goods store. But other than that I highly recommend it for shooting deer.

ksmuleyhunter

prohunter

Reaction score
Calif. Deer Rifle? Whats that? Weren't they outlawed years ago?? I am joking, but you never know about this state. I use a Browning micro medallion .308 w/ Leupold LPS 1.5x6 scope. All together gun weighs about 6 lbs. It is over the $1,000.00 limit. Scope was almost that price by itself.

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
Under a grand!?!?

Okay, this'll be pretty close.

Model 700 synthetic stock in .270 or 7mm mag. (gotta be able to reach out and touch something)
Weaver 4 x 16 x 40 scope (gotta be able to see these rodent deer)
a nice padded sling (bearclaw?)
a bipod.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hmm... all prices are approximate

Let's see, Savage 110 in .270 - $250
Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 - $450
Rings and mounts - $30

And that leaves change for some ammo and targets to sight in.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Well, there's usually someone in the bunch that's just gotta do something different...

I'd probably buy a used Ruger #1, Winchester, Rem. 700 or Savage where the action was in great shape but the barrel was borderline shot out (better price).

And then I'd have it rebarrel to shoot the 25 Gibbs cartridge. It's ballistically about the same as a .257 Weatherby.

That'd leave me with a $200-$500 for a scope depending on what type of deals I could find on an action/acceptable barrel, etc. It'd probably cost me quite a bit of time to work up some loads for too in addition to finding the right parts and getting the work done.

Freedivr2

Reaction score
SDHNTR...........a gun for California deer only? Ah, so many guns, so many great choices, but you make it a little easier by putting the price under 1K (keeps us out of the Kimbers, etc.). So here goes; a Remington Model 7 in .260 caliber, non-reflective stainless receiver and bbl, topped off with a simple Leupold 3 x 9 Vari-X II scope. Tack driver, flat shooter and easy both over and on the shoulder........

SDHNTR

Reaction score
FD2,
Thats a great choice and one I almost picked up prior to setling on the 25-06. Except I would opt for the Browning A-bolt over the Remington. I like the short action theory. I just found a deal on my Weatherby I couldn't pass up.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Cinco,
The Weatherby Mark V Synthetic in non magnum calibers can be had for $700-800 easily. I got mine brand new off gunbroker.com for $599. I couldn't pass that up. Its the best out of the box rifle I have ever shot. Its only the marnum calibers that are very expensive.

For example. And this price is medium at best. http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem....sp?Item=9087530

cincoflatspirate

Reaction score
I believe mark v weatherby's (deluxe or synthetic) only come in magnum calibers. But I could be wrong.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
There's a big gun/outdoor shop up in Orangevale (just east of Sacramento) called Wild Sports. I've even seen their accumarks for under $1000 on occassion. They've got good prices on weatherby's since they're a volume dealer. Only problem is that they won't give their prices out over the phone but I think they'll tell you if they have discounts running on various rifles--they beat Wally world consistantly.

Online, you can sometimes find the accumark for $1000 too:
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayi...ItemNum=4305185

BLASTMASTER

Reaction score
I don't care, I like my Winchester 30-30 with 3x9 on raised see-through mounts. Sooo versi-tile!

Top Bottom