California elk

cteddo

Reaction score
Got drawn for a marble Mountain Elk hunt any advice would be appreciated. What size of animal can i expect?

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Cteddo,

Never hunted the area, so I can't be much help there. Just wanted to welcome you to JHO, and suggest scrolling and/or searching the forum for Marble Mountains Elk. I know the topic has come up before.

Problem is, it's so rare to get drawn for a CA elk hunt, there aren't gonna be a lot of folks with more than one experience to speak from.

Good luck. You might also drop a call to the DFG in the area. I'm sure there's an orientation anyway, but the biologists in that area can give you a lot of premium info.

Monsterbull

Reaction score
I don't think this is too much of a mystery. Depending on if it's a calf, cow, spike, rag horn, or mature bull it's going to be between 350 - 1000lbs. Whatever the case, they're big and you ain't gonna drag it out. If you're going by yourself by all means bone it out. If you're with friend(s) or have access to horses you may decide to quarter it. Make sure you have enough quarter bags for the job.

MattS

Reaction score
I hunted the Siskyou Elk Hunt a few years back and got a 6x6 bull the first day. Bring along your elk calls. I found the bulls were not bugling at all (of course every hunter was!). But using the cow call as I walked along brought my bull in to about 40 yards of me. They were definately rutting as my bull was swelled and covered in urine (I can still smell it).
A tip, and take it for what is is worth. Elk stay pretty high as you probably know. When I got there to scout a few days before the elk were GONE! Not one any where, where as the month prior I was glassing them almost every day. Well talking to a lot of guys in the area, some had been there 2 weeks scouting. Well they had pressured all those elk low into the valley before the season started. I took a chance and it payed off. As everyone else was on the ridges, I walked into the valleys and flats below and found the elk. After I got my bull, I shared the info with the camp next to me(nice guys). They got a 5x6 bull two days later, again low. So I guess they are where you find them. Good Luck!

Top Bottom