California Ground Squirrelers

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Had the pleasure of taking Speckmisser out squirrelin' after an unsuccessful morning pig hunt.  Saw a nice buck while looking for fresh, non-existant pig sign but blasted away at squirrels with .22's--made for a good morning.

Anyone out there ground squirrel nuts?

Rimrock

Reaction score
wmidbrook,

I shoot (or shoot at) these varmints. A couple of the ranches I have permission to hunt has quite a few of them and one in particular is real pleased to see them thinned out. It's not unusual to have a 200 shot day.
I usually use a Ruger 77/22 rimfire, fitted with a 3X9 scope. The last trip I took a .223. It sure extends the range and the results are outstanding.

Play fair.

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I took the .17 HMR ou tthe other day to a neighbors property.  Man that bullet really humms.  Its a great round out to about 200 yards.  If the wind is blowing it really moves that 17 gr bullet around.  Wmidbrook, where did you guys go out squirrel shooting?  My uncle has access to about 30000 acres ou there in Livermore.  Out of a brick of .22's, we maybe had 70 misses.  Man were they piled up.  The young ones were really gullible.

Rimrock, where in Central CA are you?  

(Edited by bubba at 3:20 pm on June 19, 2002)

Rimrock

Reaction score
Bubba,

I'm in Modesto.

That .17 HMR sounds like it's something that my wife needs.

Play fair.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
That was a lot of fun, wm!  

I'm not what I'd consider a "hard-core" varminter, but a morning like that sure can be a blast.  Not to mention the valuable practice time.  Of course, the way we were having to lob those .22s out there, it was more like artillery practice than rifle shooting.  :)

Maybe by the next time we go out, I'll have a scope for that .243.  That should make some of those 100 + shots a little more reasonable.  The .44, on the other hand... well, definitely NOT a squirrel round.  

Rick

Reaction score
I absolutely love to shoot ground squirrels.  On the pig trip a couple weekends ago, I spent all day shooting them with my .22 mag.   I brought along a CZ .223, but didn't really need it since the shots were no longer than about 125 yards.   The weekend brefore that, I was up in Parkfield breaking in that new CZ with 40 gr Ballistic Tips.   They sure did disintegrate those little young ones that were about the size of chipmunks.

I love it so much that I have three rifles mainly for that use - a heavy barreled Savage for "setting up a stand",  the CZ .223 for walking the fields with wary squirrels and the .22 Mag for less nervous ones.   And of course, a .22 LR for just fun and more of a challenge.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Hey Bubba, sounds like you guys were in some virgin squirrel territory or the first ones there this year.  Yeah, it's somethin' when they haven't been worked over!  Can even get into pistol range on them.  Sounds like a great place to varmit hunt.

The squirrels we were after had been worked over a few times so they were a bit weary too far out there to do well with .22's.  I've been thinking about building a .22-250 AI for varmitting...eventually.  We were northwest of Santa Nella a ways...it has maybe 400-500 acres of squirrel towns.  

Top Bottom