California guides against bowhunters

jen

Reaction score
I am hopping mad right now. I just got off the phone with yet another outfitter. He happened to be in the King City area. We talked about pig hunting and it all sounded good. A guided pig hunt for $450. That means a person will physically take you out and put you on to a pig. It was all going great until he found out I was hunting with a bow.

Now I have never hunted pig before. I can tell you this? I have harvested moose, elk, bear and whitetail. Never in my life have I ever felt that a well placed arrow couldn't bring my game down. I also believe a well placed arrow can bring a pig down as well.

What really burns me is he will guide a gun hunter on a two day hunt but he figures he will be done in a couple of hours. But a bowhunter might take longer so he says all he could do is drop them off and let them hunt for the same price. I deal with alot of outfitters and I can tell you I have never seen this kind of discrimination before in my life. He just couldn't understand that if a hunter pays for a guide for two days then he should get a guided hunt for those two days. It shouldn't matter what his weapon is. What is funny is that if he is having trouble locating pigs for a gun hunter he will provide the gun hunter a guide the whole two days! Crazy! His statement was that if there are a bunch of pigs in view a gun hunter can just shoot one. Silly person, doesn' he know that is why there are more gun hunters? Because it can be that easy!

This whole thing has put a big dapper on my hopes to hunt wild boar in California. I don't think I will get another opportunity to do so. I just happen to be in the area the last week of March. It will be years before I get an opportunity like this again.

I am wondering what kind of state allows people to call themselves a guide when in fact all they are doing is a drop camp.

Aren't there any guides out there that take bowhunters and offer a real guided bow hunt for boar? One that doesn't require a bunch of hunters.

The only guide I have seen so far is Bigtusker that takes bowhunters. I respect him although I don't know him. He takes bowhunters so he must understand what it takes to be a bowhunter. Unfortunately Bigtusker can't help me out unless I can get more bowhunters to come with me. I see a bunch are going the week before I am available. To bad I am a week late.

Richard McCullough

Reaction score
Hello, I here this more and more. I hunted with Mustang Guide service a couple years ago and he took bowhunters. actually he had one on our hunt and took him out two days. Give Frank Morasci a call at 831-385-5638, hope he can help.

Tom Petterson

Reaction score
Who did you call let us know!
I would call Tom Willabee I think that is close thats how its pronounced anyway he want I think 400 for one day but he is a real nice guy and a fantastic hunter. He hunts out of King city area he has alot of property to hunt and is incredible at finding pigs I went on an evining hunt and hade a pig within a couple of hours with a rife I have never herad anybody say anything bad about him. I dont know where his number is but I am sure that everybody knows him. He gets over 400 pigs every year I think. Good luck

Shot

Reaction score
I with Frank Morasci of Mustang Guide service and it was great. I mean Frank went really out of his way to put us on some pigs. We hunted 10 hours the first day and 6 hours the next day. I will take any type of hunter and is a very nice guy to hunt with. You might want to give him a call.

jen

Reaction score
The guide I spoke with was Tom. Don’t get me wrong. I was referred to him with great references. I am sure he provides a great hunt. He talked about 150-200 pound hogs. That is what I was looking for.

He says he has only one rancher that allows bowhunters. He also didn’t know of anyone else in that area that allowed bowhunters.

After having time to think on this more I guess in some small way I can understand his point of view. In his mind he can provide a great 2-day gun hunt and only have to pay a guide for a few hours, where a bowhunter could take the whole 2 days. I still believe though that if you pay for a guide you should get a guide regardless of the choice of weapon. If not then a lesser amount should be charged.

He did offer a bowhunt to me if I could find 5 other bowhunters. I am from out of town so it isn’t like I have a lot of contacts in California that can hunt a Sunday/Monday.

I will call the other outfitters mentioned on this thread. I would be coming from San Francisco so travel distance is an issue. If you have anymore ideas or are available for a bowhunt please contact me. I am sure it would be a blast!

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I have hunted with Frank for years and I think he runs a great operation. I know he has taken some bowhunters on a limited basis. Call him and get his own take on it. I do know that he would rather have rifle hunters. He is running a business and I can't say I blame him. Its obvious that you could take more hunters and make more money with gun hunters. He also has his horror stories of lousy bow shots, crippled hogs, injured dogs, etc. I am a rifle hunter and a bowhunter and I will also say that most of the tactics used are not conducive to bowhunting. The vast majority of hogs I have shot have either been moving fast or have been out in a wide open field where stalking would be very difficult. Most guides take groups of several hunters on a weekend. Special arrangements would have to be made to hunt a bowhunter when there will likely be other gun hunters on the same weekend. Good guides like Frank and Tom will have probably an average of 5 or 6 hunters per weekend. I understand where they are coming from and I also understand where you are coming from. I think your best bet would be to find a guide who is maybe not as busy with so many hunters that can devote all his attention to you. Or maybe find a guide who will take you midweek where he can devote all his time to you. Also be very candid about what you want and what you expect from the guide up front, before the hunt. I would think that most bowhunters would prefer the semi-guided option over a full guide. 2 people just adds to the chance of a blown stalk. You may be better off hunting on your own after being pointed in the right direction. I know Tejon Ranch runs bow-only hunts you might want to look into. Good luck.

bayedsolid

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
If you think about what it costs the guide, $450 is pretty darn cheap. Thats only $225 per day, and I'm sure that price probably includes lodging for a night or two and maybe some food. Unless they actually own the land, which isn't the case most of the time, they have to split that with the ranch owner too. Add all of that together, tack on the wages they have to pay their guides, and I don't see how they can make a living at that price much less offering it cheaper. If they can get it done in 2 hours most of the time, that is why it is $450. If it took them the full 2 days everytime, the price would be more than double. I bet all of the guides that wouldn't take you out with a bow for the same price as a rifle hunter, would take you out for a higher price. I build homes for a living, but I sure wouldn't build one without the use of power tools, for the same price, just because the prospective buyer preferred it that way.

jen

Reaction score
I agree with your point that it is an affordable hunt. In this case though and so many others the $450 doesn't include anything but access to the land. Not food, lodging or a guide. For me this trip could easily reach $1000. There is a rental car, hotel, food, gas, out-of-state license, processing and shipping of the hog. At this price I can hunt other game that includes all of the above. Still, after all of these expenses I still want to hunt wild boar. Mostly because of all the good stories I have read on this web site.

I don't have a problem paying the $450. It is the principle of the thing. If a gun hunter buys this hunt and it happens to take 2 days to be successful he still gets a guide the whole 2 days. A bowhunter doesn't get the same deal. In fact the bowhunter doesn't even get a guide in this situation and has to bring a group of hunters with him/her. Now is that fair?

I deal with alot of outfitters and I have never seen this before. I don't want to sound negative about this. It is simple my opinion. I have 100,000 bowhunters that come to my web site and they all would be offended by this discrepency.

My hope is that by voicing my opinion others will understand my point and mention to the outfitters that there is some frustration out there in the bowhunting world.

sdbowyer

Reaction score
Jen,

If they don't generally cater to bowhunters then don't even try to do business with them. You're better off going with a guide or landowner that welcomes bowhunters enthusiatically and specializes in guiding them. Neither one of you will have a positive experience otherwise. It should be the 1st question asked.

MNHNTR

Reaction score
IT"S ALL ABOUT TIME VS $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

jen

Reaction score
I agree. The problem is finding them. Like I said, I am coming from SF so I would like to keep the drive less than 3 hours if possible. If anyone knows of a good guide that caters to bowhunters please leave a message on this thread.

Again, if anyone wants to get together for a archery hunt March 28 and 29 please get in touch with me.

Ideally I would like to find someone who can guide both a boar and turkey hunt. That would be neat.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hi Jen,

Give these guys a call and see if they can help you out. I think they can.

Archery Only
(510) 795-0460

jen

Reaction score
Isn't archery only an archery store in Newark or something like that?

I see you live in the bay area. I used to live in San Jose. I got to visit the inlaws for a wedding. That is why I have time to squeeze in a hog hunt. You don't think I want to spend a whole week with the inlaws do you?

Neil San Diego

Reaction score
I'm not a bowhunter, but I have been taget shooting at this guy's store in San Diego a few times. I know that he does a bit of pig hunting and recommends these folks:

http://www.performancebowhunting.com/boar2.htm

I have no connection to this place, or any experience with this guide service so "buyer beware" applies here. Good luck.

Neil

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Jen,

Yes, Archery Only is a shop in Newark.

The manager (owner? I'm drawing a total blank on his name right now) is involved with a hunting ranch in Livermore. The ranch is put and take for exotics (dunno how you feel about that), but they have a bunch of wild hogs too. He can hook you up there, or he can give you some info on other archery-only hog hunt opportunities in the area.

Just an idea, and since they're right here in the Bay Area, I thought it would be convenient for you.

And no, I definitely understand about the inlaws.

Tom Petterson

Reaction score
I just got of the phone with that guy. He is rasing and putting the pigs on the ranch . It is fenced off but you get to hunt for two days for $400 and he has many differant kinds of sheep on there too. He said most people come and hunt for a few houres and shoot a sheep. He also did not advis me to shot a pig my fist time out he said they lose alot of them due to por shot placement.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Originally posted by heldog@Feb 9 2004, 02:02 PM
ha spec,
is the place your talking about "JCA BIG GAME HUNTING RANCH"

http://www.jcabiggamehunting.net/
Nope, I'm pretty sure this isn't the place.

Tom, which guy did you talk to? When I was asking at Archery Only, I'm pretty sure he told me the pigs were definitely NOT put and take... only the sheep. But it's been a while since I talked to him.

He did warn about bad shots, and if you draw blood you pay... recovery or no recovery. I thought that was a pretty fair arrangement.

Anyway, I have more info at home somewhere, but don't have access this afternoon.

Mnfshrman

Reaction score
Jen, I totally understand what your wanting and I can say this to you. There is a ranch up near coalinga called HOGS WILD. I've hunted with this place on several occasions and have enjoyed myself everytime. The phone number is 559-935-5788 and ask for Larry. I can promise you that you will see pigs and almost promise you that you will get a shot. But once again as said elsewhere in this post, you stick one and don't find it....the hunt is over. The last time I was up there it was $325 for one pig, or pay an extra $50 up front and have a chance for two. These hunts went from friday at noon until sunday at noon. You bring your food and drinks, they have a skinning rack set up and Jeremy normally will clean it for a small price if you wish. Almost forgot, they have a walk in cooler if you wish to hang one before taking it in to have it processed somewhere. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll answer all I can.

David

Top Bottom