California has gone crazy

Common Sense

Thirty some years ago I went to the local sheriff's office and filled out a few papers and paid a few dollars and I soon had a CCW. Didn't have take a test, take a class, or qualify at the range.

Few years ago they said I would have to take a four hour class every two years if I want to renew my permit.

This year they said I would also have to qualify at the range every two years. (I have never taken a handgun to the range before; fact is I had only been to a range twice before.) Was required to bring 110 rounds of ammo, which is probably more than I have run through it in the 35 years I have owned it.

What's next??? Will I have to take state approved writing classes and pass state approved grammer tests before I can write letter to the editor?????

On the positive side, it was easy to qualify. Even the two old shaky guys on walkers qualified. They thought my old Colt six shot snub nose revolver was "old school", but it outshot them new hammerless revolvers even though it is much older than me! The lady next to me had one of the few revolvers there --- and it only went bang about 70% of the time (she said it was even worse if she used cheap ammo like I had). My old gun never miss fired and if it did how could I feel it offered more protection than an apple?

Anyway, this state is getting worse and worse

P304X4

My first side arm in the military was known as a Combat Master Piece; .38 double action revolver with a 4 inch barrel. I believe it was made by S&W.

One of my team mates was on the AF rifle team before joining CCT, on qualification day we fired at bull's eye targets. All of his rounds went through the bull's eye in a grouping about the size of a silver dollar; a new range NCO didn't want to qualify him because he couldn't count all of the rounds. Fortunately an experienced range NCO was also there and gave him an expert rating instead. I also fired expert but my grouping was large enough that all my rounds could be counted. LOL

Last edited:

quaildeath

Hey, can you confirm your CCW in hand is only good for one type of pistol?
For instance, I get a permit for a little 22 cause that’s all I have that is concealable...can I buy a proper concealable 9mm and carry it as I see fit. Is the permit only good for one gun? That is my understanding. Thanks.

Common Sense

In about 20 other states, I can carry any concealable gun because I have a CCW; but in CA I can only carry what is on the permit. Although you can put three or four guns on the same permit and have multiple permits for other guns --- but you must qualify with each gun. You cannot put someone else's gun on your permit. (Spouses can list each other's guns)

Common Sense

Also, if I want to add a gun during the two years I can for an $11.00 fee. But, I must first qualify with the new gun.

Top Bottom