California Sage Grouse Draw

gwhunter69

Reaction score
California Sage Grouse Drawing

How to Apply for a 2004 Sage Grouse Permit

The Fish and Game Commission will adopt the 2004 sage grouse hunting regulations on August 6, 2004.

All sage grouse applications must be received at the Department's License and Revenue Branch no later than the 5:00 p.m. deadline on Monday, August 9, 2004. The proposed 2004 sage grouse hunting season in all zones is September 11 and 12, 2004. The proposed bag limit for the East and Central Lassen zones is two sage grouse per season; in the North Mono zone and the South Mono/Inyo zone, the proposed bag limit is one sage grouse per season.

Hunters may apply using the online Sage Grouse Application or by mail using a standard postcard. All postcards must be mailed to the Department of Fish and Game, License and Revenue Branch, 3211 S Street, Sacramento, California 95816. Applications received after the deadline will not be included in the free permit drawings.

The permit drawings will be held on Wednesday, August 11, 2004. Results of the drawing will be available beginning Friday, August 13, 2004.

APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS

Applicants may apply for only one hunt. Applicants who apply for two hunts will be disqualified from the drawings and will not be awarded a permit. Each application must specify the desired hunt area.

Up to four persons may apply as a party for each hunt. Each applicant must provide his or her full name, mailing address, and 2004/2005 California hunting license number. Any applicant who does not provide all required information will be disqualified from the drawing and shall not be awarded a permit. All late, incomplete, or incorrect applications will be disqualified and shall not be included in the drawings.

Note: A 2004/2005 California Upland Game Bird hunting stamp is required for any person taking sage grouse or other upland game birds (except a person holding a junior hunting license).

Department of Fish and Game's information page on Sage Grouse.

Permit Quotas
The following permit quotas were adopted by the Fish and Game Commission for the 2003 hunting season. 2004 quotas will be adopted by the Fish and Game Commission on August 4, 2004:

East Lassen Zone: 100

Central Lassen Zone: 40

North Mono Zone: 10

South Mono & Inyo Zone: 10

For more information about sage grouse hunting permits, please call Glenn Underwood

at (916) 227-2268.

Please send your comment or question to Glenn Underwood

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
Sent my card off today. Got drawn last year and was drawn back around '98. So. Mono/Inyo each time. First time the limit was two birds, last year only one. Got my birds each time. Last year we got into mountain quail and blue grouse which, both open the same day as the sage.
Have yet to bag a male, but at the time a year for the season, they don't have the white blow sacks according to a taxidermist I have used.
Last year when my bird came up, it was so big I thought it was a male, but after my dog retrieved it, I saw that it was a female. Dropped it with a 20ga. 2&3/4" 1&1/8oz. load of copper plated #7.5's at about 50 yards, missed with the first round, and dropped it with the mod. backup! Last season was a good weekend up there, camped at Convict Creek, with almost near perfect weather.
I'd like to do it again!

mnaka

Reaction score
I was near Crowley last week hunting rabbits. At the time I had no idea what a grouse was until I flushed these big birds which I thought were chukar. What a rush. Found out they were grouse. Put in for the draw today, but just found out the area is off limits to hunting for grouse. Can anyone suggest another area to scout. I've heard Bodie is good, but looking for something closer to Bishop/Mammoth.

rlwright

Reaction score
mnaka welcome to the forum,

Unless they changed the regulations, you can hunt north of Benton Crossing. I got mine off of Sage Hen Road a few years back........

elmer fudd

Reaction score
I haven't seen anything yet in the mail .So I guess I didn't get picked again.Hope somebody gets Drawn on here.

rlwright

Reaction score
I haven't heard anything yet.............has the drawing already happened?

I noticed the tag quotas where real low this year, I think it was only 10 in the South Mono/Inyo zone. A few seasons back when I got drawn it was 25......

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
I called the DFG on Monday, I didn't get drawn, I've been drawn twice, once back around 98 and again last year. Haven't been lucky enough for back to back draws.
Glen Underwood is the contact at the LRB in Sacto, his number is available from the DFG site.
I'd like to get up around there to hunt Blue Grouse and Mt. Quail which opens the same day, and maybe drop a line in the Owen's River!

mnaka

Reaction score
Been trying to call but all I get is an answering machine. Left 3 messages. Does this mean I didn't get drawn? Is there another # to call?

rlwright

Reaction score
I got my permit in the mail today, South Mono-Inyo Zone

I really wasn't expecting to get drawn as this is only my second time applying, I wish I could get Premium Deer tags this easy...... I plan on trying for a male this time and getting him mounted...... It looks like my sage grouse spot is off limits this season, however the Treking area around the lake is open.

Anybody know where I could find some mountain quail and blue grouse in that area?
A taxidermist?

docramo

Reaction score
Ron
Give me a call or e-mail me
Cheri and I will be in Mammoth on that weekend ....If you need areas for Sage Grouse or you want to hook up for Blues and Mt. quail Give me a shout.

huntducks

Reaction score
I drew South Mono zone also, lets hook up for a cold soda.

Greg

docramo

Reaction score
huntducks
I'll be in Mammoth on thurs.pm. Stay in touch as it gets near.
Ron....you out there?

rlwright

Reaction score
Doc , Huntducks,

I'm planning on leaving Friday after work if I get done early enough, otherwise I'll leave early saturday. I don't know where we are staying yet, but I'll probably end up camping somewhere near Lake Crawley saturday night.

If all goes well we can limit on sage grouse first thing in the morning, and then pursue blues and mountian quail. Probably easier said then done though

E-mail me your info so we can talk: rlwright@csupomona.edu
or rwright@hfinc.com

either one should work right now

huntducks

Reaction score
Sorry I did not get back right away busy with CWA dinner, I know a few spots where I have always seen SG so lets all hook up and get a bird, I can staying in Bishop my brother in law lives there or spend a night or two in my camper shell, i'll most likely get there on Thursday or Friday AM, I'll email you this week.

Greg

docramo

Reaction score
Well how did you guys do on the sage hens?
I tried to e-mail Ron but I used one letter wrong in the address. ....as I see today....no L in the 2nd E-address.
Cheri and I managed one blue grouse for each of us.
Plenty of flushes but lots of trees. No Mtn. quail...found the track but could not find the birds. Great time ,nice weather,and beautiful country. Sorry I missed finding you, but I hope you filled your tag. Lot's of sore bodies today!

huntducks

Reaction score
Took A nice male SG having it mounted, saw a few other hunters and about 20 SG total Sat. AM, met a real nice guy and his wife that lurks here and took him to where I shot my bird as there where 6 other birds there, I think his name was Dan or Don, ( I can't remember my own name) SO (D) DID YOU GET ANYTHING?

Doc I forgot the paper at home with the condo and # you where staying at or I would have stopped by, I did keep a eye opened for your truck and no luck, man the doves where thick down in Bishop I had 20 birds after 1 PM and a AM-PM the next day, that's the best and most doves I have seen in the Bishop area, Monday AM it looked like the birds had moved out as I only fired 1 shot 1 dove, and only saw 8-9 birds until 10 when I left, that dove hunt was not expected but was a real bonus.

DamMechanic

Reaction score
Huntducks, No I didn't get anything,
I hunted the spot you showed me for a whyle with no luck, after that I tried several other places but didn't see a thing so we headed over to have a late lunch with my wifes aunt in Mammoth then went home.

Man, thats an awsome looking bird you got, I sure wish I would've had more time to fill my permit.

Post some pics when you get a chance.

Don

docramo

Reaction score
huntdcks
Congratulations on filling your tag ,especially with a male. That is surely worth getting a mount. Would love to see some photo's. Good job on the doves. We spent fri. in the Benton area and didn't see any birds.
DamMechanic
Sorry you didn't fill your tag... but I'm sure you had a great time in the area.
rlwright
Still waiting to hear about your hunt????

huntducks

Reaction score
Don

It was sure nice meeting you and your wife, i'm sorry you did not get a bird, right after I left you I drove up the road a mile or so and had 5 birds cross right in front of me and stand by the side of the road, I drove up a little farther and watched two guys jump out of a truck and chase flush and shoot a small hen they said there where 7-8 birds that crossed in front of them, anyway you broke the ice with your first post so welcome to JHO hope to see you hanging around and posting, did you hunt any Mt Quail on the way home?

I'll take the film in TM should have a picture or 2 up TM nite.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom