CALIFORNIA SEASON ON GROUND SQUIRRELS??

db 183

Reaction score
I AM LOOKING FOR GROUND SQUIRREL SEASONS IN CALIFORNIA. I KNOW THERE IS A SEASON FOR TREE SQUIRRELS AND I HUNT THEM FOR CAMP MEAT DURING D ZONE DEER SEASON BUT WHAT ABOUT GROUND SQUIRRELS? I WAS UP AT MY AUNT AND UNCLES'S RANCH IN THE B-1 DEER ZONE. MY UNCLE (WHO DOESN'T HUNT ANYMORE) WANTED MY DAUGHTER AND I TO HELP OUT WITH THE GROUND SQUIRREL POPULATION. THEY ARE DOING A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF DAMAGE TO THE PROPERTY. THIS PRESENTS A GREAT LEARNING/HUNTING OPPORTUNITY FOR MY 8 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER, AND A LOT OF FUN FOR ME.

CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT THE LEGAL SEASON IS?

THANKS.

Marty

Reaction score
Ground Squirrel are a year-round, nongame animal.
Check DFG Hunting Regs for Mammals under Section 472...
472. General Provisions.
(a) The following nongame birds and
mammals may be taken at any time of the
year and in any number except as prohibited
in Chapter 6: English sparrow, starling,
coyote, weasels, skunks, opossum, moles
and rodents (excluding tree and flying
squirrels, and those listed as furbearers,
endangered or threatened species).

db 183

Reaction score
THANKS FOR THE INFO.

MY DAUGHTER HAS A DAISY 880 PUMP AIR RIFLE AND IT HANDLES THE GROUND SQUIRRELS JUST FINE FROM ABOUT 15 YARDS. IT IS GOOD PRACTICE AND A GREAT TEACHER OF PATIENCE/PERSERVERANCE.

shaman

Reaction score
Does anybody eat them? How do you fix them/care for them.

Fubar

Reaction score
You have to lay them on a board. Then you pound them them really good.  Next you scrape them off and eat the board.           Fubar

Marty

Reaction score
If the board is toasted over a mesquite fire, it is much tastier.  Be sure to remove the crusted edges or you will catch heck around the campfire.  Some of these guys are real connesouirres. :D

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Shaman,

Ignore those guys.  Everyone knows you have to marinate them for 72 hours in cow urine at room temperature before you put them on the board.  

Honestly, though, I was warned that you don't want to eat them and I've taken it to heart.  I do know they carry fleas which can transmit, among other things, bubonic plague.  If you have to shoot them, leave them for the coyotes and buzzards.  

As a result, though, I have a personal policy against shooting anything I won't eat (or that won't eat me), so I don't shoot them.  Don't much care if anyone else does...but I don't.  If I found out that they ARE good to eat, I'd probably harvest a whole pile of them.  I love bushytails, and used to shoot them on a regular basis back east.

db 183

Reaction score
I WOULDN'T EAT THEM IF YOU PAID ME EITHER. I FIND IT IS A GREAT PRACTICE TOOL FOR MY DAUGHTER. SHE LOVES TO SHOOT AT BIRDS TOO, SHE EVEN BAGGED A QUAIL LAST YEAR. AND SINCE IT AIN'T MOUNTAIN QUAIL SEASON, WE TARGET THE GROUND SQUIRRELS. PLUS THE GROUND SQUIRRELS SIT STILL LONGER AND SHE HAS A BETTER OPPORTUNITY FOR A QUALITY SHOT. SHE IS ONLY EIGHT AND SHE IS STILL LEARNING HOW TO TAKE HER TIME AND SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER RATHER THAN TO JERK IT AND END UP WITH A STRAY SHOT SOMEWHERE. THAT IN MY OPINION IS ALL THEY ARE GOOD FOR.

Fubar

Reaction score
Another recipe out of my ground squirrel cook book. Get yourself a premium bottle of beer of your choice. Stuff the ground squirrel with several Jalapenos. Next wrap it in Bacon and generously baste it with your favorite BBQ sauce. Cook it in the oven for an hour at 350 degrees. Then throw away the squirrel and drink the beer.             Fubar

B

BDOG

Pound for pound, ground squirrels are tougher than coyotes.Anything less than a 308 would be an inhumane and unthinkable to do.They are great on the BBQ   BDOG

Speckmisser

Reaction score
BDOG, welcome aboard.

Personally, I prefer the 20mm light cannon.  Pretty much obviates the need for a BBQ, though.

Fubar

Reaction score
BDOG Welcome to Jesses Forum. Speck likes to make squirrel burger out of them.             Fubar

B

BDOG

I'm gonna try that stuffed jalapeno recipe.But I'm going to to save the bacon.Love that bacon.I do recommend more beer.BDOG

Hyperboneious

Reaction score
although ground squirrels are the most common carriers of bubonic plague, other animals such as bears, rabbits, coyotes, and wild pigs have been found to carry the plague-causing flea.
Early symptoms of bubonic plague in humans include high fever, chills, nausea, weakness and swollen glands. Although the disease is generally transmitted by the bite of an infected flea, it may also be acquired by direct contact with animals with advanced cases of the disease. People who develop these symptoms or whose pets become ill within seven days of visiting a wilderness area should seek immediate medical attention.

General advice given: wear latex gloves when field dressing animals (esp rodents) and cook thoroughly.

This is a page/pamphlet with info on the spreading of bubonic plague through animals:
http://www.dhs.cahwnet.gov/ps/dcdc/pdf/Plgbro99.pdf

Top Bottom