California Turkey Hunting Digital Scouting + First Time Advice

jond

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first year hunting turkey and I have been doing as much research as I can while living in Los Angeles. I spend a lot of time looking at (public land which is sparse as hell) in northern California and want to start narrowing down what terrain markers I should really be looking at to determine if the area is worth scouting on the ground. I read that I should call the wildlife biologists for the public areas and see if they can direct me, but I wanted to know some tell tale signs that Turkeys could be living there.

I have my mind set on northern California, but I've read theres turkey down south as well as some as close as Los Padres NF. Thoughts? I am all about boots on the ground and DIY, but knowing no one in California that hunts turkey, California is a big place to take on first time.

Thanks for anything you guys can share to help.

Jon

Archer82

Reaction score
Hi Johd, I'm in the same boat ha ha. Ive read that there's birds down south in San Diego county as well as up north by SLO. I friend of mine who works for the forest service told me to check out areas by Fresno/Merced county. I too live in the Los Angeles area so either direction is going to be a bit of a drive so what's been helping me lock down potential spots is watching youtube vids, reading forums like this one, utilizing onxmaps/google maps, and talking with people who have camped in the areas Im interested in scouting. I hope this helps. Good luck this season.

k-thug

Reaction score
A good starting point is that anywhere there are pigs, there is also turkeys. I don’t know why but the two go hand in hand. There are tons of turkeys throughout the entire state. Unfortunately, like everything else the best hunting is on private land. Almost every county, except Los Angeles and orange counties have a turkey population. Closest to you would be Santa Barbara, San Bernardino or Kern county.

Top Bottom