Californian stripped of fishing tournament win vows lawsuit

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
ASSOCIATED PRESS.

October 16, 2001

RIO VISTA – A Rio Linda man who insists he caught a 40.65 striped bass to win the Rio Vista Striped Bass Festival and a new boat is getting a lawyer to back up his claim after a polygraph test he apparently failed stripped him of the prize.

James Storm of Rio Linda, 37, had posed for photos in the $19,000 boat that goes to the derby winner when the derby committee led him away to take a polygraph test, which the tournament said he failed. He was promptly disqualified.

Storm said friends are helping him find an attorney. He is more concerned about clearing his name than getting a boat, he said.

"The worst part was being called a liar in front of everybody," Storm said. "Now if I go to enter any derby, I'm going to be known as a liar and a cheat."

"I really feel like I've been (violated)," he said.

The tournament rules state that a lie-detector test would be given to the angler with the winning fish.

Hntrjohn

Reaction score
It kind of reminds me of the little leage world series. At first I thought it was pretty bad that they were investigating the winning pitcher to see how old he realy was. It was also bad that they found out how old he realy was, and his parents got a phoney Birth cirtifate to have him play agaist younger kids than him.

John

Thonzberry

Reaction score
If he his telling the truth, then he should fight for his win, but if he is lieing he should face a big fine. Maybe the polygraph made him nervous, who knows.

nobuckkev

Reaction score
There has got to be a better way to manage such tournaments. A lie detector tests sounds rediculous.

hntndux

Reaction score
Well, the second place winner has already sold the boat.  I was told that several people heard him talking before the derby that he already had the winning fish so I think he just try to save face.  We'll see...

Advertisement

Top Bottom