Call me stupid but I still don't understand it.

Buckoholic

Reaction score
I have read the available info on posting a picture from another server. I still don't understand how to get my pictures posted into the forum threads. Call me stupid if you like. I just feel like an easy copy and paste is stuck in my mind. Maybe it's getting in the way of thinking correctly. I don't know!! HELP!

I can build a nice camera though! haha!

Can someone give me the Welby, Tinhorn, Richard, Jayber, etc... version of this endeavor?

Thanks,
   Dave

PS
I have my pictures posted on Hunting-pictures.com.
What else do I need to do?

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT FOR MYSELF LAST NIGHT.  GOTO YOUR HOST SITE AND ON THE PAGE YOU HAVE YOUR PIC POSTED TYPE img(ENCLOSED IN THE SQUARE BRACKETS)BEFORE THE ADDRESS & AFTER THE ADDRESS TYPE[/img]   THEN YOU COPY AND PASTE THIS  WHEN YOU GOTO POST A REPLY.

(Edited by SIMPLEARKANSAN at 9:19 pm on Sep. 25, 2001)

Buckoholic

Reaction score
Thanks SimpleArkansan,

But what about making the picture meet Jesse's specs for posting in the forum. My pix in my site are larger than he has set for his postings. I was going back to Photoshop 6.0 and sizing them down to meet his specs. Do I then take those pictures and upload them into my web site, replacing the ones already there? Or, can I do something in Photoshop to allow them to be posted in Jesse's forum? I get this sneaky feeling that they must be uploaded on a server first and then they can be copied and pasted second.

I hate feeling dumb about this stuff but I have never done any of this before and don't have a lot of experience with web site design and the whole HTML language.

Thanks for any tips I may receive concerning this topic. I love to learn and this site has taught me a lot about many other things. Now it is starting to teach me how to be a little more web savy.

See Jesse, It's not just about hunting and fishing. You have created a living forum for many topics.
Thanks for this whole site.
IT'S AWESOME!

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Ok,  I'll attempt an explanation.  

Make all changes to your photo such as clipping, resizing, brightness on your home computer using what PhotoShop or what ever graphics package you have.  Save your changes then upload your pictures to hunting-pictures.com.

The pictures you want to POST on a webpage need to be stored on a SERVER.  A SERVER basically "serves information to the web".  Your everyday, normal computer that you have sitting at home isn't a SERVER unless you make special configurations and add special software to it.  Since your (and my) computer are not SERVERS to the web we need to UPLOAD our pictures to someplace that is a SERVER. (hunting-pictures.com)

Once you have the pictures uploaded to hunting-pictues.com you can then post them here on the discussion board.  To do this you simply put in the URL where the picture is located between [.img] and [./img] minuse the periods after the first bracket.  The URL for one of my pictures is http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/ToddP/bear1a.jpg  To post this picture the code would be:
[.img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/ToddP/bear1a.jpg[./img]  minus the periods after the first bracket at the beginning and end.  

Your URL would be similar to mine except you would replace ToddP with your user name from hunting-pictures.com  and you replace bear1a.jpg with the name of the picture you want to display, that is uploaded to hunting-pictures.com.

Hope this helps.  Not putting you down for not getting it yet or nothing.  This is new to alot of people and everybody has trouble their first couple times.   I tried to lay out a basic understanding of how posting pictures works so you understand.

Good Luck,
ToddP

Tinhorn

Reaction score
When you figure out how to do it you'll see how easy it really is, it only took me a couple months before I finally got it  ha ha

One thing to realize is the pix is not being transferred to the forum like cut and paste.  The forum notes the img code and goes to the site where the pix really is and displays it on the forum, about the same way you have your computer go to the pix site and display the pix.  That's why the Forum needs to know it's a PIx Site's address......

by image code I mean {img} (only you use square brackets, located rite above the <enter> key).  This code tells the forum to go fetch the pix at the site address

I'll go ahead and re-tell what everybody has just posted, hoping to clear up anything not understood by saying it a different way:

1st:
using Photoshop 6, resize the pix and enhance it, etc.  I don't know anything about Photoshop but Paint Shop Pro 6 has a setting in Resize for pixels or inches,  I set mine to Inches and resize the pix's to 6" or 7" wide

2nd
Send the pix to your Pix site

3rd
now go to the pix site and find the pix, if the site has a feature to display the pix "Full Size" that's where you want to go

4th
when you get to the full size display, that's the address you want to "Copy" into the clip board -Window's cut & paste method- (http://www.~~~~~~~~)

5th
now, once the pix site address is in the clipboard, go to the Forum and open a thread (actually, go to Jesse's TEST area 1st) and "PASTE" the pix address like so:  only use the square brackets, I can't use the real thing because the Forum will get confused, looking for the pix site address)

{img}paste pix address here{/img}

6th
that should do it,  you will have to <Submit> the post and then go look at it and see the pix

Buckoholic

Reaction score
Once again!

I am honored to share a forum with you guys. I have a lot of computer skills but the ins and outs of the internet are still being learned. Once I learn something, I rarely forget it.

Thank you so much for your explanations and time,
Dave

Buckoholic

Reaction score
Hamiltoe,
Thanks for the heads-up on the cruncher. I will check it out for sure.

bigmandude

Reaction score
Of course this information only works if you can get your darned pictures to show up on the ding-dang hunting-pictures.com site,  for some reason i keep getting empty boxes where my pics should be,   go figure.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Also on some other sites you need to use these tags,it does the same thing but is tagged diferently

[img src="http...yadda yadda  [/img]

img stands for image and the src stands for source,the [/]forward slash in front of the tag at the end of your URL is exactly that,it is an ending to any URL  you can learn alot of this stuff by studing a little HTML   hyper text markup language. then you will be able to do thinks like make a picture into a link to a site or a link that will open an email addressed to you and so on.
 Its pretty neet stuff and not to hard to learn.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Many thanks for the instructions!

Just a few questions..... I've heard the Yahoo! "geocities" will not allow this kind of linking...Is this true??

If so, any recommendations for free, easy to use, picture hosts that do allow it?

Archilochus

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Todd,
Thanks for the info on geocities.  I read Jesses' post about pictures when he first put it on the forum, but somehow missed the bit about geocities.

Thanks again,
Archilochus

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi Arch - I can lend you some space during the contest, but first you will have to send me your pictures via direct e-mail.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Richard,
I appriciate that offer.  There have been so many great photos entered for the contest I'm not even sure if any of mine could compete!
If I come up with something that looks good, I might send it along to you.  I applied for a "Netfirms" free account, but have not yet heard back from them.  Hopefully that will work out.

Thanks again,
Archilochus

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Arch - Yes, it looks like the good ole deer hunting pics have given way to amateur photography. Like, it's going to take more that ole dark woods shot to win this one. Try to find some action shots with a good setting.

(Edited by Richard Webb at 3:10 pm on Sep. 28, 2001)

Top Bottom