Call Type (First Timer) HELP!!!!

Shmave23

Reaction score
So Im gonna try Turkey hunting for the first time this year. I think that I have a few good spots to try out also. But I need some help on what type of call should I get????? So many darn choices.

Diaphram call, Friction call, or Box call?????????

Any help would be appreicated. Im leaning towards either the Box or Friction calls. The Diaphram things look like it would be hard.

-Dave

biseger

Reaction score
Diaphrams take some practice and trimming to get the right fit in your mouth but are cheap and when turkeys are real close you can use them with almost no movement. I would grab a couple and start practicing. To get started I found the friction/pot call the easist to learn and recreate lots of diffrent turkey sounds, look for a high quality striker/ call combo that will last. Dont forget the call is in your backpocket when you plop down or you may break it. The box calls are good for long range, windy days, or to fire up that stubborn gobbler. Becareful with box calls as you will call in other hunters, over power close birds. Turkey calls are like duck calls as everybody has one, some are better than others, and you have to play the birds. Sometimes less is more.

JNDEER

Reaction score
The more calls the better. stay away from the diaphram call's for a beginner until you really know how to use them. What Bi said is spot on, and yes Less is More!

Marty

Reaction score
Box Call.

I tried to practice with a diaphram call at home. I must have sounded like a wounded critter more than a turkey, because I called in an owl. :D

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
Only thing I would add on Bisegers post is that a box will still do it all, you just need to learn how to control the volume of the call. Diaphram calls are the most versatile for me, but I use several box calls almost every trip.
Once the birds are coming my deadliest call is silence! Most hunters want to keep calling, but once I have them looking for me I am quiet unless they decide to hang up.

Shmave23

Reaction score
K for sure a Box call. And Ill get a nice strike call also to go along. Ill have about two weeks to practice.

So it will be the birds mating season????

-Dave

BADBuckfever

Reaction score
I use the HS strut double glass call. I tried that mouth call "diaphram" thing ,but it was impossible to make any turkey sounds as far as I'm concerned. I still have one, but it stays in the case.

After turkey hunting for a couple years, I would have to agree that especially here on public land in California you are better off NOT calling that much and try to find the turkeys first by listening for gobbling at dawn (or find the roost tree if possible) and stalk in on them or pull one you know is there w/ the call.

shmave23 - The breeding season is in the spring and the weather really determines when they start strutting. Go to the CALIFORNIA TURKEY HUNTING LINK in the pinned section of "turkey hunting" to find out more about their behavior etc...
Here's a link to the Ca.DFG turkey hunting info, go to the "publications" section and open the download; http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/uplandgame/ this has tons of info.

Good luck!

Last edited:

RR1

Reaction score
Once the birds are coming my deadliest call is silence! Most hunters want to keep calling, but once I have them looking for me I am quiet unless they decide to hang up.
IMO that is the deadliest call for everyone. Don't worry too much about being an expert caller. I use a diaphragm, pot, tube, or wingbone and sound terrible on all of them. But toms come to all of them, most of the time, if I go silent after a response. If I know there are birds in the area and don't get a response on the first call, I repeat the call at fifteen minute intervals until there is a response, and then go silent. More than once, a tom has come in with no response at all. The only absolute I know about turkey hunting is that it is always fun. Good luck.

BADBuckfever

Reaction score
RR1 knows the score!

The first time I went turkey hunting I was in an awesome spot with fresh tracks all around. I was so impatient that after calling a few times and waiting about 45 minutes I decided there wasn't any turkeys nearby and got up and moved about a 1/4 mile. I will never forget as I walked out to leave seeing the huge turkey tracks that were on-top of my tracks I left as I first moved. This turkey was looking for me, but I didn't give him enough time to get there. I was humiliated for being so impatient.

Lesson: turkeys can learn to be very quite even when they are looking to breed and could be coming to your calls w/o responding.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom