calling bears

NCahuntinfool

Reaction score
I have only shot one bear, and I got that one with dogs. This year I might have somebody that can take me out with his dogs, but before I do that I want to try and get one by calling it in. I tried it last year but no luck. I did have something come in but never did see it. You could hear what sounded like something turning over logs on the other side of the hill. Any way I was wondering if anyone had any luck in calling them in. And had questions like what kind of a call to use and how often to call. Do you constantly just keep calling or do you call and take a break for a few minutes? I was told that as soon as you quit calling the bears quit coming. Is that true? I am planning on going up around Burney to try and get one this year. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

muskeg

Reaction score
I used the call on 3 of the 8 Bear we took this spring.

I have used it successfully in the fall also.

I use a deer bleat call. I think you must keep calling as Bear have a short attention span and seem to loose interest quickly. You must be very careful. Some come sneaking in all hackeled up and some come running (race horse fast). They are responding for food. Some just stroll right in just looking around.

This spring we saw a Doe accross the tide flats and when I called she just came in charging. She was going to attack us. I called again. She got way mad and was running at us. She must have just lost a fawn to a Bear. Then I noticed a big Bear charging accross the open flats B-lining the Doe. He stopped and stood up at 150 yards or so. I called again. He charged the Doe who was then way upset. She ran circles at the Bear and was going to hoof him. My hunter decided to take the shot at about 40 yards. The bear never noticed us. When the Bear piled up after the second shot the Doe was still going in to stomp him. Then she ran off.

The call works ..........

CAhntr

Reaction score
Muskeg, great story! Sounds like that was an exciting hunt.

NCahuntinfool, I too tried calling bears last year to no avail. I was using a cheap hand held electronic caller. It was a fawn in distress. It wasn't very loud. A couple friends of mine were able to call in a nice looking little cinammon bear using a deer bleat like muskeg. So I would say try a bleat call. Good luck and stay safe.

Eric

muskeg

Reaction score
Here is another story (I wrote a few years back) about a Bear calling adventure.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
9/21/99
The heavy rains and winds had slacked in the early AM. It didn’t take us long to get packed up after breakfast. Bobby had a heavy (100lb +) load. He went on ahead. As we were hiking and talking through the upper timber we jumped a large wide buck. He was a big one. Andy chambered a round. But we didn’t get on it again. We continued our hike on down the mountain to the Muskeg Mobile. The hot shower felt good back at the cabin. Then we were on our way to Craig to take Bobby home and the cape and horns to Prince of Wales Taxidermy (Bobby’s dads business). Barbara (Bobby sister) does a very good Sitka Blacktail mount. Andy was impressed and left it for her to mount. A quick stop at the grocery store and gas pump and we were headed back to the Hollis Cabin to get ready for an evening Black Bear hunt. We got back into our hip boots and rain gear. Andy and I talked about where to go. We decided to head over to 12-Mile Arm Creek. It wasn’t long before we were walking up stream. There was still a lot of Humpies in the river but not as many as when we here last. There was high water flood on Monday. Spawned out dead fish lined the banks. As we eased our way up the creek we noticed just a few fresh Bear eaten fish and only the odd track. I picked up the pace so we could get a ways up (to where we had seen large bear sign) before we ran out of shooting light. We jumped a Bear on the stream bank. We went on up stream. We jumped another. We eased up past a sand bar that had the freshest sign we had seen. The light is fading fast. I eased out and took a seat on a rock in the river. Andy moved up stream 15 yards and took a stand on another large rock in the river. We looked and listened. I got Andy’s attention and signaled him to blow the deer call. He made the call. We waited. I chambered a round, took my safety off and held my finger on the trigger. My eyes worked the river and the brush in the fading light. It is CLOSE quarters. Andy looked at me. I signaled to blow the call louder. Andy worked the call (like a predator call or dying rabbit or something) louder. Andy gets the felling something is breathing down his neck. He slowly turns. He is eye to eye at about 20 feet with a Bear. I see Andy ease his rifle to his shoulder. I can’t make the bear. Andy blows the call softly. I see him studying the Bear. I still can’t make the Bear in the dark brush. The shot rang out. Crashing through the brush. Then quiet. Andy and I slowly move toward the brushy bank. The death moan. The bear is down. It didn’t make it 25 yards. We eased up on the 6 footer. A nice Black Bear with a very nice fall coat. I congratulate Andy on a perfectly placed shot and the quick kill. After pictures we began the skinning in the dark by headlamp. Andy loaded the hide into his pack and we headed down stream. It was after 9 PM by the time that we made it back to the rig tired and very wet. The hot shower at the cabin felt good again for the second time today. Then Annette’s cooking hit the spot again. Baron of Beef, Mashed Potatoes, Steamed Carrots, and Crab Salad with left over Chocolate pie for dessert. This will be a day that I definitely will remember.[/b]
hunt story with Bear calling

NCahuntinfool

Reaction score
Thanks for the info

I just have a Primos predator call right now, It worked on a coyote last year out goose hunting. I think I'll check into getting a bleat call. Is there one brand that is better then most?

thanks again

arizona hunter

Reaction score
In AZ many of the bear hunters use rabbit distress calls and fawn bleats. Muskeg said bears have a short attention span and he's right. We call a little wait a minute, call more etc.

Bring more than one call. Just like with coyotes, one sound may interest the animal while another does not.

Reaction score
I have to back up what Muskeg says 100%

I call bears every year some for photos some for other reasons..........

I use a combo of a fawn bleat ( if you ever go on an either sex deer hunt and want to whack a doe do this, it works ) and a rabbit in distress call + in some areas I add a squirl chirp to make it a bit more real and I just think its fun.

I have been thinking about going with a remote system though because as Muskeg said, at times they come in ready and that can un-nerve even the most cold blooded hunter out there.

Hope that helps and have fun.

FT

NCahuntinfool

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I think it will be a blast to have a bear come in like that. Just one more question. When you say a remote system are you talking about an electric call? I know I'm new to this but I was under the impression that electric calls were illegal. I could be wrong though. It's been known to happen on occasion LOL

Thanks again

Top Bottom