calling in the rain?

KIDKY

Reaction score
2 ways i know of to combat rain dampening your calls.
1.  get a blind, i hang out in one during turkey season when it rains
2.  Woods wise makes a box call that is waterproof, can't remember the name of it, but i bought one for my father-in-law at turkey hunting expo a couple years back.  it really works well and he still uses it.

Welby

Reaction score
My grandfather uses a plastic bread bag when raining.  He sticks his hands and the box call in there and works it just like normal.  He's used that method for years.

woodsman

Reaction score
waterproof wizard box call #cc 22-3940 $19.99 Cabela's  hope this helps:smile-big-blue:

killinturks

Reaction score
i got my first turk in the rain. at first it was  rainin light and i thought i can handle this. i had  heard some gobblin that sounded like it kept coming closer so i moved 1/4 round the tree and got prepared (or so i thought) bout 10 minutes later i heard something by my dekes.started turnin round and there was old tommy sneaked in on me. i started to turn to shoot but he saw me and turned., and was history. shortly there after it started pouring like cats n dogs.now i know this is gonna sound strange but you gotta remember i live in wisconsin. i had this old ice fishing shack and my dad cut a bunch of shooting slots in it and dragged it into the middle of his woods for his hunting shack.he sits in there with a big old heater and warming up his coffee and sandwhiches. got a few nice bucks out of it too. well anyway you get the picture. so i ran like hell to it and sat down. this is my first ever turkey hunt and i already blew it on a bird. so im thinking that nothing is going to hear me in here with the rain and all. i grab my box call and just crank on it. i wasnt in there 5 minutes and i see this red head cruising thru the brush so i give a few light clucks  and he heads my way. 30 yard s and i smack him with some heavy metal. he flopped for about 5 minutes . i didnt want to step out for fear he would get up and run. the guys at work all got a big kick out of the ice shack part. any how i forgot to mention that my calls were dry because i had them in baggies.dont give up when you have options

troyandmarsha

Reaction score
the moral of the story......... don't give up so easily.
thanks, troy

Possum

Reaction score
Pack your calls in something like a Rocky shoulder bag made for turkey hunting and put it in a great big 2gallon ziploc.  Or the bread bag works great.  I keep a ton of ziplocs in my vest for rain. Then the best solution - use a diaphram.

TScottW99

Reaction score
never heard me on a mouth call :smile-big-blue: (never the best solution for me)

i use the plastic bags also .... also use the mystic stick striker which i love even if it's not raining, also use a H.S. Strut black magic wich works no matter how wet.  another option for me is the Primos Tube call... great call easier than a mouth call (for me) and sounds great.

Top Bottom