Calling Noob

gridley hunter

Reaction score
I wanted to know if someone could tell me what are the best calls to use when call coyotes during the summer time. I will be heading up to my parents home next week for about ten days and I am looking to take a few coyotes when I’m not fishing. I will be hunting mostly on my friends open farm land. He and his father tore out 400 acres of walnuts this and now just have open fields to harvest hay, since then he said the ground squirrels, jackrabbits and tons of coyotes have moved in. The rancher next to them has about 120 head of cattle and lost a few calves this spring and he thinks it’s because of the over abundance of coyotes that have moved in. The ranch with the cattle is also a family friend of ours and I am hoping that he will let me make a few stands on his pasture land as well. I will also be hunting on my uncle’s ranch that is on the other side of the levy from the Plumas County wildlife refuge, which is mostly all river bottoms next to the Feather River.
Most of my coyote hunting experience is just sitting out in the evening and hoping we see one, but now I really want to try calling. I purchased a few hand calls and have listened to the tapes, but will all the sounds I you can make I just wanted to what would be the best to use during the summer months or in the different areas I will be hunting. I thought that the challenge call and pup call would work because most have just had their litters and probably the dying rabbit but I wanted some opinions. I am open to all suggestions because I know nothing about calling.

lioncaller

Reaction score
Summer Coyote Sounds

Gridley Hunter,

You are right about the litters of pups and if done right you can work that to your advantage.

Pup whines and distress sounds have worked well for me and both get responses from male and female coyotes.

However,

There is a tall need to get food for the den this time of year - lots of hungry mouths to feed. I have had very good luck when I locate coyotes the night before I call by howling. I keep notes on where they are and then I get very close to the area the next day. I use some baby cottontail and bird distress with good success.

Some people choose not to hunt coyotes this time of year because of the pups. That's your call to make.

Good luck whatever you decide,

Mark Healy

gridley hunter

Reaction score
Lioncaller,
Thanks for the tips and good idea on taking notes, I will have to do that. As far as hunting this time of the year, I am not worried about it. Up here in butte county we have far too many and they need to be thinned out. I think that the over abundance of coyotes in the area has been really affecting our pheasant populations. Besides with all the open county we have up here I don’t think by me taking a few is going to do anything to their numbers. Heck the biggest thing I am worried about is calling in a mountain lion. I the past 4 months there have already been 5 reported sightings of mountain lions around the edge of town and my uncle said he has seen at least 2 hanging out in his walnut orchards not even 100 yards from the house. I just wish California would make it legal to take a few of them but that’s a whole different topic.

lioncaller

Reaction score
Summer Coyote Sounds

Gridley Hunter,

You're right - the urban voters and politicians in CA when it comes to lions is abont a 2-day topic all by itself.

If you call a mountian lion, savor the moment. They usually come in low and very silently. When they finally get the idea that something isn't right, they leave the same way. I've only had one lion that actually gave me a scare. He came in behind me in some tall grass and by the time I knew he was there, he was right THERE. He was just as surpirsed as I was and ran off full-tilt.

Good luck shootin' some of those coyotes. Your wingshooting in the fall will be all the better for it.

Best of luck,

Mark Healy

aerospace90248

Reaction score
Coyotes

I wanted to know if someone could tell me what are the best calls to use when call coyotes during the summer time. I will be heading up to my parents home next week for about ten days and I am looking to take a few coyotes when I’m not fishing. I will be hunting mostly on my friends open farm land. He and his father tore out 400 acres of walnuts this and now just have open fields to harvest hay, since then he said the ground squirrels, jackrabbits and tons of coyotes have moved in. The rancher next to them has about 120 head of cattle and lost a few calves this spring and he thinks it’s because of the over abundance of coyotes that have moved in. The ranch with the cattle is also a family friend of ours and I am hoping that he will let me make a few stands on his pasture land as well. I will also be hunting on my uncle’s ranch that is on the other side of the levy from the Plumas County wildlife refuge, which is mostly all river bottoms next to the Feather River.
Most of my coyote hunting experience is just sitting out in the evening and hoping we see one, but now I really want to try calling. I purchased a few hand calls and have listened to the tapes, but will all the sounds I you can make I just wanted to what would be the best to use during the summer months or in the different areas I will be hunting. I thought that the challenge call and pup call would work because most have just had their litters and probably the dying rabbit but I wanted some opinions. I am open to all suggestions because I know nothing about calling.
Primos makes some good calls and they have a good videos too especially for beginners. Dan Thompson also makes excellent calls you can check them out on his web-site. Every caller has there own methods but I think it's always good to start out with some good old Howling to locate the yotes and bring them in with a pup distress or rabbit cry. If you need a parner to thin out some of those yotes I would love the opportunity. You can PM me if your interested. Just click on my user name and select send PM. Good luck and post some pictures.

What type of weapon are you planning on using?

Trinidad

gridley hunter

Reaction score
i did get some primos calls. i thinkn they were called the lil dog something, but i know that they are the randy anderson series. i will just be using my deer rifle which is a 30-06 with 165gr bullets. i know that it is a lot of gun for coyotes but i don't want the fur so i think it is a waste for me buy a .223 or 22-250. when i get better at calling i would like to try and bring them in close and see what my 17 hmr can go. i know a few people who have taken them with head shot but i would do that unless they were well within 100yds. my 12 gauge with 00 buck would be good too but they would have to be really close. for now i am going to stick with the 06 and be able to reach out and touch them and kill them fast.

Top Bottom