Calling Quail correctly

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
We ran into a few Quail hunters while in the Phealan area today that got skunked.  I asked them if they had a call and they said yes and began to blow a sound that could cause an auto accedent. I then shook my head and said "nice" and drove away.

As I drove off, with a smile, I thought of the countless hours of scouting for quail and the endless practice of my various quail calls that i've tried to perfect over the years. It made me realize that experiance was the best taecher and these folks were on thier own.  There is no short-cut to hunting successfull and if they commit themselves to learning, they too will one day be worthy of regular successfull hunts.

I have no problem giving up a "good spot" to hunt. I think it makes a new hunter want to be good. On the other hand I won't teach a new hunter my secrets because I think that should be learned on the trail or from your dad.
Thanks for letting me vent/share.
sp

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
I agree,

It is my belief that helping people who truly want to learn is a good thing, unfortunately there are some hunters and fisherman whos main objective is to seek and destroy.  You're correct about the calling, the same holds true in calling ducks, I've been out on a refuge hunting before and heard no less than 20 guys all blowing the same mallard call.  Hey guys, these ducks have heard the same call being blown at them all season, try something else.  Location is important but the little secrets that help us be succesful should be learned through trial and error.

songdog

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more.  I don't mind pointing someone in the right direction to a good spot.  However, it's a lot more than just being in an area where there's game.  If you don't know what to do once you're there (call, sit still, watch the wind, etc.) the best spot in the world is going to be of little use.

I also agree with Kid Creole on the seek and destroy missions.  I'll go out for the whole day and put many miles on the truck and the boots and still come home without anything but a big smile and my wife still can't figure out how I had such a good time and never fired a shot.  If Kid can drive 1100 miles for a handful of birds but still have a good time... that's the kind of person I like to hunt with.

Pasco

Reaction score
I'm one of those guys that relys on info from all you experienced guys.  It is always rewarding to take that info and add sweat, dirt, and dings in the stock and have a good day in the field.  That said, nothing beats tramping around to learn where the critters are and where they aren't.  A couple weeks ago I met an experienced hunter who blew his quail call to check for a response, as we parted I was pleased to recognize that the way he blew his call is the way I blow mine, I must be doing it right.  I'll bet if dad had hunted, this would be a lot quicker process.

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I have never had anybody judge my quail calling but they answer me and give away there general vicinity and the dogs are off to the races.  If I loose a dog I also blow on it as they know the call well and come running, of course looking for quail not me.

Brian

Thonzberry

Reaction score
I totaly agree with you guys, helping someone out is great if they are willing to learn, but if there out to seek and destroy as KID CREOLE put it, then no way I have a friend who kinda has that atitude, so I told him he better learn the game or leave it, (no secret spots for him).PArt of Hunting is finding out things on your own also.

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
What brand of quail call od you guys recomend? They sell one in turners I am thinking of getting one. I am going to Colorado this week so I got 14 hours to practice. I am going to make my buddies crazy on the way over there.

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Qbn hunter,
Turners sells a good one (the one with the rubber band). The "8 in one" is not the best for Valley quail but works fine for Mountain quail and Bob White.
The rubber band type is easy to make yourself. In the off season I usualy make a couple out of Oak quarter trim, a rubber band and a couple of wood screws. sp

rmorales

Reaction score
I see that Qbn asked the same question I was going to ask as to which call is better to start with. I was also going to ask, rather than trial and error, what would be the best way to start teaching my 10 year old son the correct way to start calling?    

WingSetter

Reaction score
Can any of you actually say that the Quail do respond to your calling?.  If you locate birds or hear them calling in a distance and you use your call do they, or will they respond?

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
rmorales,
I lived next to an oil field in Brea and I would study the calls from both male and hen. I then raised bob white, Valley and Gambel quail and practiced calls on each one and studied there habits(at the time I diddn't know that it was illegal to raise Valley quail in OC).
As for the question about Quail actually responding, I have great success. I think quail hunting w/out a call is as bad as hunting w/out shells. If you do it right, they will run to you and I usually get w/in 10 yards or so.
They usuall don't return your call if they are grouped and haven't been split but they will come in with the proper "dominant male" call.
once you bust the covey, they will start calling (after they settle down) and they respond well to the male and female calls.
TIP: Quail make alot of noise rustling through the brush . Make a litte noise on the ground cover as you call them and always stay down wind.

(Edited by wingman at 10:51 am on Oct. 30, 2001)

Thonzberry

Reaction score
As Wingman is saying, you need to study Quail or any game you plan on Hunting. Study and listen to how they call. Wingman it sounds like you know what you are taking about thanks for the info.
Good luck all its half the fun.

Mojave

Reaction score
Once they bust up and lie low, they will definitely respond to a call, as long as you don't overdo it. I tend to wait a bit, and listen for them to call on their own, before making an attempt to call. I use both a rubber band block-shaped call, bought from Big 5, and a double-tapered wooden call with a mylar strip all across, and a metal band at each end.The tapered one sounds more realistic, but gets messed up and changes its pitch pretty easily. I have a Wingsetter 8-in-1 for mountain quail, but haven't used it on birds yet. I also carry a Knight and Hale #502 Screaming Hawk call, for when I am hunting without a dog, to stop the quail from running. To get them flying, I kick the brush every once in a while, making a blowing,"fluttering" noise with my lips, kind of like the noise a horse makes. (Go ahead and laugh - but try it some time when they are sitting tight).

Hook

Reaction score
I agree with all you guys, you have to learn how to properly use a call, no matter what your hunting.
Most successfull hunters are the one who spend the time learning these things. It will make your hunt more enjoyable and successfull.  

Mojave you are right, most of time it is recommended to wait 5-10 minutes after you bust a covey to start calling. No need to rush in after them once they spread out.

Sidekick

Reaction score
Qbn Hunter;

Last year I asked the same question on the old Hoss's website. The majority of responses recommended the Lohman 115 quail call. Why you did not get a straight answer to your question is beyond me. I'm still waiting to try the call so I can't give any personal experiences. Good luck !

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Sidekick,
I was talking straight about the calls. The calls with the rubber band are perfect for beginners and veterans. Wooden block and round plastic styles are inexpensive and they work fine. I encourage people to make thier own. It's very simple and you can experiment with the different pitches and tones. I wouldn't spend a large amount of cash on a call that is so cheap to buy and so easy to make.
Just my opinion. (leave it to a Scotsman to find the cheap way out)
sp

(Edited by wingman at 7:25 pm on Oct. 30, 2001)

(Edited by wingman at 7:26 pm on Oct. 30, 2001)

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Wingman, do you have any good ways to make a Quali call, if you could explane I would appreciate it thanks

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Thornzberry,
Use two 4 inch Oak qtr. trim pieces and take a 1 1/4 wide plainer through the middle. set the plain at 1/ 16 of an inch deap. drill a 1/16 pilot through the two pieces and use a 1/8 wide rubber band in the middle and screw the pieces together W/ rubberband through the middle(see the store bought "block style" for specs). I use a file to tune the call and you can get any sound you prefer by filing the wood where needed.

Mojave

Reaction score
Wingman: Very classy, using oak 1/4 trim, rather than pine! I have never bothered to try making my own call, but your description inspires me to invite my son into the shop, for an hour or two of "fiddling". The Old Boys, it is reported, just used their thumbs and pieces of grass!

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Mojave,
I ment to say set the plainer to1 1/2 inch wide and 1/32 deap to give an approx 1/16th gap when assembled.
Note: i always carve a 1/8th wide area for the rubberband to make it flush when assembled.
Don't forget to use a sealer when it's completed.

All this talk has got me in the mood. I am giong to the hardware store tonight for materials to make a couple.

Top Bottom