Cam flashes with no film advance

horndog

Reaction score
I put a phone jack on my owl AF and when I use to cam independetly, it works just fine, but when I plug the cam in to the system it only flashes (no film advace). Any suggestions?

jayber

Reaction score
Check to see the the wires are going to where you want them on both sides of the connection.  I ran into a problem one time when the wires reversed in the female jack.  Now I solder the black and yellow together and the red and green together to eliminate the problem.  Black is used for pin #4 and green and red for #5 & #6 on the camera.  That way it doesn't matter how the male plug is attached to the wire.  Hope this all make sense.....and good luck!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
is the Camera Really Flashing or is the Flash Lighting up like a lite bulb?

if that's the case,  pins 5 & 6 are not connected together.......

Seems like someone else mentioned a similiar problem and he found a solder "Streamer" across another pin inside the camera

Good Luck!

Tinhorn

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME.  I DIDN'T HAVE A GOOD BRIDGE BETWEEN THE PINS/CONTACTS.  AFTER I RESOLDERED IT I NEVER HAD THE PROBLEM AGAIN.

horndog

Reaction score
I have 3 wires coming into the jack. pin 1 on one side, pin 2 on the other side, and pin 4 to the third connector. Should pins 1 &2 be on the same connection? and where should the wire from  pin 4 go? I thought that when the male plugs into the female, it shorts pins 1 & 2 and sends a signal to pin 4. Also, isn't pin 4 for the shutter? This is on an AF-8.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I was not clear the cam was an AF 8 and don't know anything about them, never seen one......

Sorry!

Tinhorn

horndog

Reaction score
Its the owl with the big round on switch,(says its a modified AF-7) only 4 pins, I followed the instructions but I may have the wires switched. It says to run them to the sensor relay, but that sentence lost me.......don't know where the darn sensor relay is or how to wire it up......I have a feeling that i will be wearing a heavy stocking hat this winter cause I'm losing hair...(by the handfuls..lol)

wfontjr

Reaction score
had this one time also on a camera, one of the wires was not soldered to the jack, the connection had broke, camera would flash but film would not advance

troll

Reaction score
I seem to be in the same predicament as some of you have been.  I just finished wiring my camera with a jack tonight.  I went to test the camera by itself and a light comes on in the flash, but no flash goes off.  If I have an inadvertant strand of solder somewhere, where do I look?  Any suggestions?

troll

Reaction score
Well, found the problem.  Touched my phono jack and woooo weeee!  I had mounted it next to the flash in that little space there between the flash and view finder.  Apparently when I put the plug in, one of the terminals hit the capacitor.  Well, hopefully that was it.  I believe I'll go clean the carbon out of my shorts.

horndog

Reaction score
OK, checked the jack, redid the connections,had wires switched, plugged in to system and all worked fine..unplugged and now I have the same problem as before except opposite. Works fine (have a flash and the film advances) while plugged in, unplug and I get a flash and no film advance.  :-(  

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi horndog,
Just speculation here... sounds like you might be using a MONO 2 conductor audio jack that has a normally closed switch built-in (therefore three connections).  If so, switch to a STEREO 3 conductor audio jack.

What'e the part #'s on the jack you're using??

Archilochus

horndog

Reaction score
RS part # 274-249
Three-Conductor
1/8" (3.5mm)
Phone Jack
went to solder the wires on the jack, and now the cam wont flash or nothing. Did I possibly short the cam out?
ARRRRGH!!!!!!

Go Pens

Reaction score
I might be mistaken since I'm new at this but I also installed an internal stereo  phone jack RS 274-245 and without film it flashes, shutter shoots but no film advance regardless if I'm manually hitting the button or shorting the 3 wires w/ jack installed.  But I installed film and it advances everytime. I also remember prior to manipulating the camera in anyway the fim advanced 1 time after installing the batteries but wouldn't advance again.  I'm using the PF camera so possibly the camera senses that there is no film to advance so doesn't do it.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi horndog, GoPens,

horndog...Did you try removing the cams batteries for 5-10 minutes??  Sometimes if the shutter contacts are connected out of sequence - the "full press" before the "1/2 press" - the camera will lock up and the only way to reset it is to remove the batts.

Go Pens... Yup, that's the way the cams work.  With no film loaded the red-eye light and flash will go off, but no film advance motors run.

Archilochus

horndog

Reaction score
I will try to remove the batteries, does that also work on the AF models? No film, no advance?

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi horndog,
The older "AF" models are the same...When batts are installed and cam turned on, the shutter being pressed will make the flash go off and the cam will try to load the film.  If no film is in the cam (or improperly installed) the shutter being pressed again will only make the flash go off with no film advance motor noise.
The cam will also try to load film after the film door has been opened and closed.

Archilochus

BugleMIn

Reaction score
Finally got it working.  I fiddled with the stereo jacks and got it working.  Not really sure what was wrong.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom