cam going to sleep

Deerhunter1566

Reaction score
my cam has been setting in my air cond. basement for the past two days,I am using ms-20 and cannon owl date, powered by 12 volts.  After the cam has been setting for several hours, I can walk in front of it and it wont flash the ms 20 cycles but cam wont flash, I can turn cam off then back on and it will work fine till it sets for a few hours, then it wont work untill i turn it on and back on again, any ideas?  thanks.

gtk

Reaction score
I have a cam with ms20 sensor and cannon owl pf.  Actually, I have 5 of these.  But only one seems to go to sleep every once in a while.  Beets the heck-fire out of me... The last time i changed out the film, the camera must have immediately went to sleep.  There where absolutely no pics taken, and the camera would not fire when I tripped it.

I took the camera out, took a pic manually, and put it back in, and it worked fine..  Now, come to think of it.. heck, i could  have a loose wire somewheres...

I look at it this way.. it saves me money on film processing. :)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I have one Owl PF that is extremely troublesome in this manner but other cams I have, have the same problem, only not as severe.  

What happens is - after several hours of non-use (but cam turned on-lens cover open) the cam won't fire unless the button is held down up to 5 or 6 seconds.  If the electronic shutter control don't hold the push button electronicaly closed for 5 or 6 sec's, the cam won't fire.  

It's the Flash Circuit that needs "Refreshed" by a push button press.

so

if the cam is tried again, either manually with your finger or electronically by the PIR, the cam will usually fire normally.

The cure is either a longer shutter holddown period or a  "Refresh Pulse" described by Archy several times, it keeps the flash circuit at the ready so it takes a pix in about 1-1/4 sec. after pressing the shutter button.  If a longer button hold-down is used, the animal will probably be gone by the time the cam goes off....

I think there are several "Refresh" circuits in the works by guys on this forum, Archy already has at least one design encorporated in his "Not so Typical" timer circuit.

Over the past w/e I built a Refresh Circuit using a TLC555 timer that seems to be working on my trouble prone cam and it's in the woods being tested (for a week)  I won't know if it worked till the film is developed next week but will keep you posted !

Tinhorn

Advertisement

Top Bottom